Digital/analogue tachos

hi guys

sorry if this has been asked but i cant seem to get the answer anywhere. when starting my shifts do i do my vehicle checks with or with out my tacho card/disk in? and on what setting would i use if i did do them with it in?

hope it makes sense lol

jimmypk:
hi guys

sorry if this has been asked but i cant seem to get the answer anywhere. when starting my shifts do i do my vehicle checks with or with out my tacho card/disk in? and on what setting would i use if i did do them with it in?

hope it makes sense lol

You should have your card/chart in the tachograph when doing vehicle checks and it should be recorded as other work, if you do the checks before inserting the card/chart then you should do a manual entry to show the time spent doing checks as other work.

All of the time from beginning to end of shift should be accounted for on the card/chart.

tachograph thanks for your reply has been cleared up for me now thanks

i got advised to put it in as vosa will be looking fo the other work as proves you done your daily checks

If you worked in a sausage factory, would you go in, start your sausage stuffing machine and get your meat before clocking on?

our boss tells us to put the chart in before and make sure u sit with it on other work for ten mins before leaving yard so it shows u done your checks

If you get a procedure worked out then stick to it. Makes it easier to remember.

For example: Get in vehicle, ignition on, tacho card/disc in, set to right mode, start engine, all lights/hazards on. Check wipers and squirty things. Walk around check with/without torch, check tail lift operation (often cut off in cab) and confirm you know how to work it :smiley: and if all OK and you’re backed up to a building you can check the reversing light/buzzer as well as brake lights. Don’t forget to have a check on the cab controls to work out where things are!

By then if you’ve done it in less than 10 minutes you can sit down and have a breather before moving on to other things :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: But if you don’t put your tacho in/on then you can’t show you’ve been working. It also covers you as I am sure the employer would want to hear that you had done your walk around checks/vehicle inspection :wink:

thanks for ur replies been a great help the company im with are fairly relaxed they have a book with it all in so you dont forget but another question does your tacho still record when the igntions off? and machines off? or do i have to leave the ignition on?

jimmypk:
another question does your tacho still record when the igntions off? and machines off? or do i have to leave the ignition on?

The tachograph will work with the ignition off so no need to leave it on :wink:

Sorry I don’t know what you mean by “machines off ?”, if you’re referring to the tachograph then it’s always on as long as there’s power in the vehicle battery to run it and the vehicle battery is not disconnected the tachograph should be working, obviously it will only record on a chart or driver card if one is inserted but the tachograph is always on.
In the case of a digital tachograph it records to the tachograph head even when no driver card is inserted, when a driver card is inserted it records to both the card and the tachograph head.

In the case of a digital tachograph you need to watch what the tachograph defaults to when the ignition is turned off, some will automatically change to rest and some will automatically change to other work when the ignition is turned off.

Saratoga:
If you get a procedure worked out then stick to it. Makes it easier to remember.

For example: Get in vehicle, ignition on, tacho card/disc in, set to right mode, start engine,

Don’t worry about checking oil and water then, before starting the engine?

Seany:

Saratoga:

For example: Get in vehicle, ignition on, tacho card/disc in, set to right mode, start engine,

Don’t worry about checking oil and water then, before starting the engine?

No dipstick :stuck_out_tongue: all electronic sensors

so tacho how do i check what its default is when switching the ignition off? is there a button i press i use the siemens variation?

many thanks

jimmypk:
so tacho how do i check what its default is when switching the ignition off? is there a button i press i use the siemens variation?

many thanks

You switch the ignition off and look at the screen to see what mode is displaying :wink:

You cannot change the default setting yourself it can only be changed at the tacho centre.