Just a quick question but in a long winded way

If you pull out the tachograph card from the truck at any stage of the day and then put it back in a short time later with no-one else driving it - do you have to do another walk around check? which you wouldnt really do as such but you would wait 10/15 mins.

is there a time limit like 10 mins is ok and i could just put card in and then drive off? after doing manual entry with other work selected for the time the card was out of the machine.

would it still apply if time was hour or 3 hours etc? is there a time limit at all if i was the same driver in the same truck on the same day?

i know its not normal for you to pull the card in and out but there is the odd occasion this has happened so would like to know what the proper procedure is.

thanks

There is an expectation that you should have a period of ‘other work’ at the start of every shift during which time you will have been doing your daily checks. However, they are ‘daily’ checks, not ‘card insertion’ checks, so there is no requirement to repeat during the day simply because you pulled your card for some reason.

However, if you take a rest break during the day and have a long snooze, you might want to give the truck a quick walk around once over before pulling off. Something might have happened while you were sleeping (someone parking up right under your nose where you can’t see them, someone pulling the kingpin for a laugh, a puncture, blown bulb etc).

thanks for replying. thats a great help.

am a class 2 driver i should have mentioned.

As ORC says, apply a bit of common sense. I have a tour of the truck after my Big Mac and fries. I need to burn the calories off somehow. Lol

I also find it best to always ask myself whether I can defend my position in front of the DVSA, be this strapping, a damaged tyre, or a broken light. The answer i give myself however will be different part way through a shift than it was at the end. With strapping I’ll give it a glance over and check for slack. With a tyre I’ll have a glance, but won’t examine the tread really, as it shouldn’t go bold that quick.

And that broken rear tail light officer? I think a pigeon must have just flown into it in the last half an hour! Lol

As what other excuse have you got? You can’t really say you hadn’t noticed that you’d hit anything or just missed it.
So always have a quick look around mate. It might save you from running over one of those little advertising boards they put outside shops, as you’ve forgotten its right under your nose.

As I’ve honestly never done that! Lol

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…