Wages mistakes

Heard today that a collegue was 9 hrs short on his pay this week. The office
said sorry and would fix it straight away.
Now none of us it seems actually keep a record of the hours we do, we
(perhaps stupidly) trust them.

If this one chap has had this, we wonder how many more erors have been made.
How far back can we ask them to check for more mistakes?

I for one have always kept a diary…mileage…diesel used…hours worked…blah…blah…blah

always keep a record of time worked, there has been too many miscalculations in the past.
Strangley NEVER overpaid!!!

I keep a diary giving brief details of the following.

Start Time
Machinery moved from - to
Breaks
Change of vehicle
End Time
Daily Mileage count.

It’s just a habit, but it can come in handy for checking back on things, it takes about 2 minutes a day to do.

Last year over 9 months I was overpaid £1200 or so in overtime, I did mention it to my boss everytime it was wrong (Although never the amount) He always maintained that I should say nothing, the way of calculating it was complex and the figure on the paypacket was a lump amount for the month.

My main concern was that they may realise and want it back, however they laid me off and I got paid every penny that was owed to me. (And some that weren’t)

Had they underpaid me, I’d have a good account of what work had been completed and would be able to query it properly.

206doorman:

Checking for mistakes is one matter but, AFAIK, Civil Debts can be recouped up to a period of six years.

Hence one should always retain pay slips for that period of time.

I think its really up to you to ensure that wages received reflect work done. We had one month from payment to question pay issues and anything after that nothing could be done. Although if you had real hard evidence to support underpayments (i.e timesheets, tachos, a diary, CCTV etc) then you could argue it. :unamused:

Speak to your wages/HR and see what there policy is first, but unless you have evidence to support it, it might be hard to reclaim anything.

Cheers

206doorman:
If this one chap has had this, we wonder how many more erors have been made.

You can ask for as long a period as you like but I doubt they have any responsibility to recheck past wages unless you have a good reason to believe there could be further mistakes, as said you should check them every week, It’s your responsibility no one else’s.

I keep a database record of all times worked (start/finish breaks, total hours ec’t) and more, I check them against my wage slip weekly, I also made sure the agency I work for knows about it :wink:

as said you should check them every week, It’s your responsibility no one else’s.

Can’t agree with that.

It is your employers responsibility to ensure that wages are correct, in line with your contract which states, “x” number of pounds for "x " number of hours.

we have log books with duplicate copies that you check against wage packetand it seems to work fine, any o/time you highlight for wages dept

i keep a diary of start time and milage with finsh time and milage and diesal used and whatever i have fixed during the day including job reference numbers
And this week they have short chaged me…they dont know yet as i only got wage slip today but get paid tuesday so will have it out with them monday morning when office people get in…

Like others here I write down dates,manifest#'s,fuel purchase’s,tolls and detentions,then cross check against the weekly settlement statement.
My company screwed up the drivers payment on a new account (there’re two Hanover’s in Pennsylvania) .They were nice enough to re-imburse the difference to the drivers on almost 100 loads.

Agency driver par for the course wages mistakes, always keep a note and always check. Never any hassles getting wages sorted out.

Biggest problem is normally only drive class 1’s but somtimes in jan-march time if quiet will do class 2 work or even 7.5tonner, but i always get class 1 rate whatever job i do. More often than not when i drive a different class of vehicle get that rate by mistake but its easily sorted.

del949:

as said you should check them every week, It’s your responsibility no one else’s.

Can’t agree with that.

It is your employers responsibility to ensure that wages are correct, in line with your contract which states, “x” number of pounds for "x " number of hours.

It may be your employers responsibility to ensure that wages are correct.
But, if you don’t double check your wages are correct, who’s going to know ?

You won’t, because you don’t check, because it isn’t your responsibility.

Simon:

del949:

Can’t agree with that.

It may be your employers responsibility to ensure that wages are correct.
But, if you don’t double check your wages are correct, who’s going to know ?

You won’t, because you don’t check, because it isn’t your responsibility.

Exactly, even the most efficient company’s can get it wrong sometimes, as 206doorman has now discovered If you don’t check your wages you won’t know when they’re wrong.

Got to agree that you should check, in fact the last line of my post said that, but for some reason it didn’t come up on the forum.
I was only pointing out that the LEGAL responsibility is the employers.
Obviously everyone should keep a fyll record of hours and expenses etc.

in the past if ive been money short ive mentioned it to the bosses then adopted a holiday MODE not making URGENT drops on time they do get the message :laughing: :laughing:

Bumped into a colleague this morning and had a laugh, as we’d both bought little diaries over the weekend to record our hours!

Quite right, should have been doing this from the start.
Thanks to all for the advice.