advice please

im currently on a salary, things in the last week have went a bit quiet,usually doing 10-14hrs a day,boss told us things being quiet hes going to take £50 off wages each week!!any advice,

If your salaried,I wouldn’t have thought he could do that?

Ken.

If you have a fixed salary and that is written in your contract then it is illegal for boss to do so without a new signed agreement from you.

Ask him if he is going to add £50 when it is busy
He can’t have it both ways
If he wants wages to reflect what work you do he should have made wages hourly paid

thanks guys gives me something to think about just was`nt sure where i stood, :unamused:

chiva:
im currently on a salary, things in the last week have went a bit quiet,usually doing 10-14hrs a day,boss told us things being quiet hes going to take £50 off wages each week!!any advice,

I’m hourly paid and have just lost at least that amount in a pay cut. We are also being stood down on various days as there is no work. I would guess that your boss is struggling like everyone else. It does need to have some structure to it though, is he going to issue you a new contract with a different pay rate, is it a temporary measure? If so how long before review, what has to happen before it changes ?etc… You need to be asking a lot of questions.

It’s also better to make £50 less each week than be thrown out of work and get £65 dole! Think carefully

And is he going to take a pay cut?

I doubt it.

Ken.

Quinny:
And is he going to take a pay cut?

I doubt it.

Ken.

If work is that bad he may well be in danger of losing everything, never mind reduced income. £50 pay cut means maybe £30 in take home but I agree that there ought to be some agreement for a review.

Maybe the senior drivers shoud get together to see if there are other things that can be done to save money. These are hard times for everyone in the private sector and there is no point in putting a good employer out of business for a short term gain.

This is becoming a very regular thing within the industry. One firm in Tilbury dropped the drivers from £110 a day to £80 then put them on a 4 day week, meanining they’ve lost £230 a week. £50 could just be the start, but there’s nowhere to go at the moment :frowning:

we,ve got the same situation going on now asked us to take overtime at the flat rate equates to £50 -£60 per week and go monthly pay not happy boss has still got his porsche.where do i stand on change of contract.feel like walking but who,s gonna pay my mortgage? any volunteers■■? :question: :unamused: :exclamation:

n17 trucker:
we,ve got the same situation going on now asked us to take overtime at the flat rate equates to £50 -£60 per week and go monthly pay not happy boss has still got his porsche.where do i stand on change of contract.feel like walking but who,s gonna pay my mortgage? any volunteers■■? :question: :unamused: :exclamation:

im exactly in the same boat,would love to walk away,but everywheres quiet,i would have thought they would have to give at least some written notice :question: :question:

chiva:

n17 trucker:

im exactly in the same boat,would love to walk away,but everywheres quiet,i would have thought they would have to give at least some written notice :question: :question:

Try consulting a lawyer on the unfair/constructive dismissal thingy. See how much you can screw out of him and ask yourself if it’s worth it. Have you got a copy of his request/demands in writing? If you do, it will be difficult for him to lay you off when the letter will show you were in fact sacked for refusing to take a pay cut.
Do you like the job? Do you like the boss?

If there is a change to your terms and conditions you need to be advised of it - preferably in writing. Terms and conditions can be written,w hich is what you should have, or oral or implied, i.e. something that isn’t int he contract but has always happened. Terms cannot be changed without your consent.

You then should agree or disagree - preferably in writing. If you agree, a new contract should be drawn up. If you disagree, then your boss can go through a dismissal procedure and then he can offer you your old job back under the new rates or put it out on to the open market. Provided that there are genuine reasons for asking you to acccept a wage cut, like helping to stop the firm from going bump, then a tribunal will not find in your favour, provided that procedures have been followed.

We are just going throught the same thing, asking eveyone to take a 10% cut. Bottom line is that rates are going down as everyone is engaged in the usual rate slashing and it’s a fine line between not doing a job and saying there is enough money in it to keep ticking over. No different to being a driver and asked to take a rate cut.

The management are taking a 20% cut.