Need advice on wages

what do you all think.

The question you have to ask yourself is if it is worth it to lose your job?

You know that the other person is defrauding the company (call it what you like but it is theft) and that makes you as guilty as the person doing it.

Not worth it in my humble opinion.

Mark :smiley:

The responsibility rests solely on the person who is signing the timesheet. It could be that they’re doing it so they don’t get their hours cut if you’re managing to finish earlier than their drivers.

True… until such time the person making the “mistakes” gets found out and tells his/her boss that the driver was involved with it. It is a lie but…

We all know how easy it is to get rid of an agency driver.

Think about it and ask yourself if you want to risk loosing your job for a couple of pounds a day.

Mark :smiley:

I totally understand what you are sdaying mark.

Connor you say it is solely the responsibility of the person signing the time sheet. Is this 100% correct or is this what you believe in your opinion. I kinna think it is the companies problem not mine. Im not the one making the mistake. I do my job competently and well this is why they keep asking me back, is it also my job to do the work of there staff and to check everything that they do s right. Im a bit lost on what to do. i kinna wish the person would stop doing it then i wouldn have to think about it. I would kinna feel a bit embarassed having to say to the person.

Obviously the person signing your time sheet is agreeing the hours you worked can be billed to the company.

Now if he is rounding up to the next 1/4 or 1/2 hr that is OK in my books if he is adding a lot of time and the client notices from your tacho’s or security log that there is a discrepancy then you could be accused of defrauding the client and agency.

The agency could loose the client and you your job and reputation.

I would agree that 10-20 mins added is OK any more and you need to find out what is going on with the customer/agency and that you are not getting jammed in a corner.

If like Connor says you are going quicker than their guys then they should tip you the knod and then park outside in a layby for a while

I had a similar problem with a previous employer, except my timesheets were spot on and my wages were all over the place. The basic was always right but my overtime which included some travelling time was always wrong, sometimes a little bit and in one case over £600 paid to me when it wasn’t owed.

I raised the issue with my immediate boss and he told me to leave it, there had been problems in the past and the company were unwiling to break down how many hours at what rate etc. When they paid the £600 too much I brought it up again as I didn’t want to spend it and then have to pay it back.

I never paid back the money and they never caught on, it was some compensation when they terminated my employment without reason. Still I am £1200 better off.

The Biker:
Now if he is rounding up to the next 1/4 or 1/2 hr that is OK

I would agree that 10-20 mins added is OK

So you are saying it is ok to rip em off for 15 to 30 mins per day then?

Add that up over a week or a month,then multply it by the number of drivers.All of a sudden it becomes a serious amount of money. :bulb:

But hey,most drivers are just trying to rip the boss one way or another.So it must be ok then :unamused:

A company I work for often tally more hours than I do, so I just ask the agency what hours they were given and invoice accordingly…

Who me ? :wink:

woodnights:
Right. i work for an agency in Kent (obviously no names mentioned) i usually work for the same company most of the time sometimes going to different places. Anyway, at this one place that i go the person who signs me in and out keeps adding time on to my day, obviously so that i get more hours and pay. at first i thought it was just a one of thing but its happening now quite allot. Im happy with the extra cash and dont feel guilty about it because it it is a big company.and i do work hard for my money. The only thing is that im a bit worried about being caught because im sure that i would have to give it all back nd possibly loose my job. This is wrere im a bit stuck. it is them who is making the mistake so is it my responsibility to say quietly to the person to stop it or should i keep accepting it, keep smiling and say nothing.

at the end of the day there the ones making the mistake.

what do you all think.

Could be Companypolicy as you usually my be eligible for Foodallowence,but with Contract you have to they it that Way.If you would work for differend Agencies,Companies,could you but Foodalowence from Tax away (Nova),

Robbies Dad:

The Biker:
Now if he is rounding up to the next 1/4 or 1/2 hr that is OK

I would agree that 10-20 mins added is OK

So you are saying it is ok to rip em off for 15 to 30 mins per day then?

Add that up over a week or a month,then multply it by the number of drivers.All of a sudden it becomes a serious amount of money. :bulb:

But hey,most drivers are just trying to rip the boss one way or another.So it must be ok then :unamused:

Well, the agency I work for doesn’t pay for breaks. I think that stinks. Why should I lose out on 45 minutes a day ? Who is looking after (and responsible for) the wagon when I’m on break ?
If the guy signing the timesheet adds time on, then that’s the same as a tip from a satisfied customer. We’re not talking hours here (at least I’m not), and I get a minimum of 8 hours a day anyway, no matter if I only have to work 2 hours.
On monday I worked for Bradfords, but didn’t get the call until 9am. Started at 10.30 and finished at 15.30. The guy at bradfords signed my ticket until 17.00 .
I explained that I would get 8 hours anyway, but he was happy as it was. As it turned out I went back for the next 2 days anyway, so I scrapped the first time sheet and made out a new one, with all the correct times on. He never mentioned it, but he did have the authority to sign it, so really it was up to him what time he signed for.

I think it is a hit or miss situation. If the person who is authorised to sign people of and on decides to add hours on to your day, then it is there responsibility i think.

if you went to a bank machine to take out £50 and it gave you £100 would you go to the bank the next day and tell them. i know i wouldnt.

BUT. I am going to have a quite word with the person and tell them to stop it as i dot want the possibility of loosing my job if it came to it.

Just to add aswell, it also says on my time sheet that mistakes CANNOT be rectified the next day and they must be mentioned on the day of employment. Does this also mean mistakes in my favour.

When I’m on hourly,which isn’t very often, my lot round up to the next hour.For some reason they’re not bothered about quarter or half hours. The previous company clocked every 7 mins. :unamused:

An interesting discussion and in my experience on Agency work companies generally ‘round back’ to the nearest 15 minutes on the time that the driver appears at the ‘lepers window’ and ‘round forward’ to the next 15 minutes at the end of the shift.

There appears to be 3 possible scenarios here, two as already stated:

1. You’re completing the work in less time than the permanent staff and, in order not to highlight them ‘stringing the job out’ he is crediting you with the number of hours that he would expect the employed staff to work on that run(s).

2. You’re doing a good job without causing hassle and making mistakes, and therefore getting a little ‘Thankyou’ bonus as an encouragement to return on future dates.

3. The individual is in league with the Agency to ‘up’ the hours of the driver and in return gets a ‘back hander’ from the Agency.

Or a 4th,

1. You’ve Scored. Watch your arse. :laughing: :laughing:

What you need to be mindful of is

Theft Act 1968
False accounting
17.-(1) Where a person dishonestly, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another,-

(a) destroys, defaces, conceals or falsifies any account or any record or document made or required for any accounting purpose; or

(b) in furnishing information for any purpose produces or makes use of any account, or any such record or document as aforesaid, which to his knowledge is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular; he shall, on conviction on indictment, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years.

(2) For purposes of this section a person who makes or concurs in making in an account or other document an entry which is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular, or who omits or concurs in omitting a material particular from an account or other document, is to be treated as falsifying the account or document.

That said. By all means query the practice but, as the saying goes, “Never look a gift horse in the mouth.” After all, if it is not being carried out in a ‘Dishonest’ manner, i.e. you have questioned the practice and been given a plausible explanation, then you have nothing to fear.

woodnights:
Right. i work for an agency in Kent (obviously no names mentioned) i usually work for the same company most of the time sometimes going to different places. Anyway, at this one place that i go the person who signs me in and out keeps adding time on to my day, obviously so that i get more hours and pay. at first i thought it was just a one of thing but its happening now quite allot. Im happy with the extra cash and dont feel guilty about it because it it is a big company.and i do work hard for my money. The only thing is that im a bit worried about being caught because im sure that i would have to give it all back nd possibly loose my job. This is wrere im a bit stuck. it is them who is making the mistake so is it my responsibility to say quietly to the person to stop it or should i keep accepting it, keep smiling and say nothing.

at the end of the day there the ones making the mistake.

what do you all think.

What are you worrying about? They sign it? I think i would like to show this post to the person who thinks he is helping you out and show him how you might drop him in it. There’s always a lose link in any chain, looks like you’re it.
Don’t accept membership of the freemasons either if it comes your way.

mike, i wouldnt drop him in it, i would just tell him to please stop it.

sod that to all above take the money plenty more agy in the sea denail is everything mate its the same as the muppet,s that sit on a layby asleep to get extra hours i say fair play

woodnights:

I don’t mean it derogatory to you but you already sort of have. Just accept it and say nowt. Its beyond your control, unless you want to push it. There is no way you could ever be found out. If you where ever questioned you could always answer ‘oh, i thought my breaks where paid thats why i never realised’ or any simple answer to them. The company must be performoing well, as you must be or it would be noticed if things wheren’t going well ,then you wouldn’t get it and they would be pulling you up asking why did you stop for 15 mins here and there. Don’t have a guilty concience when you and the company are doing well out of it, just accept it, it can be hard to reason it when you have had to graft hard for every penny you’ve earned but don’t question it !!!

woodnights:

I wouldn’t tell him to stop it, money in your pocket is money in your pocket after all.
It is most likely a small “suppliment”, for the “good work” you are doing for them.

If it’s office staff signing your sheet, I would say something to them about it though, so that you know what the score is.
Simply point out, to the person signing your time-sheet, that there seems to be a slight discepancy between the time you actualy finished and the time they’ve written on your time sheet. You could ay you are a little concerned about it, as you don’t want to be involved in anything dodgy, or words to that effect. I wouldn’t come straight out with, “being involved in fraud” either.
If it’s the security bod or a staff driver or someone of that sort of level in the company, just ask, “look mate, whats the score with the time sheet?”

A company I did quite a lot of work for, when I did agency work, paid me a fairly substantial bonus this way. It was the site manager who signed my timesheets and on one occaision my bonus was over a day more than I had worked. I was doing UK multidrop and away all week.

If you’re concerned about the extra payments as you obviously are, why not just have a quiet and discreet word with the person in question and ask him tactfully why he’s adding hours that you haven’t worked, If It’s because you’re doing the job quicker than other drivers It may be that he simply doesn’t want to rock the boat with the people above him, If you just tell him to stop you could possibly be putting him in a position where he has to start answering awkward questions from above or let you go, It could be that he thinks you’re doing a good job and doesn’t want to lose a good worker in which case you just telling him to stop could make him feel offended, before making hasty decisions you really need to find out why this is happening.

Though to be honest I’d probably just think myself lucky and hope it continued for some time :wink: