Vosa Inspector

I had the occasion to require the assistance of one of the regional Vosa inspectors Yesterday. I discussed my requirements and then asked “Do you know of any companies that might be looking to employ a new driver?”.

He didn’t but proceeded to say there is still a massive driver shortage so I should be ok.

Is he on glue?

I have rung well over 100 companies in the last few days in the West Yorkshire area and found 2 that might possibly be looking for a driver (don’t ask who find them yourself lol).

Of those 100 at least 20 have either recently laid off drivers or are in the process of laying off drivers.

A job came on the Jobcentre website on Wednesday morning for a class 2 hiab driver on really good money. It was withdrawn about 5 hours later. I managed to make a note of the company and gave them a ring direct. They withdrew the ad as they had had over 50 applications in one morning from suitably qualified people.

How the hell can people still believe there are not enough drivers as far as I can tell there are far to many kicking about at the minute, far too many.

Sorry rant over I have a sore throat from all this phone work I think I might apply for a job in a call centre given all this experience

Probably got some Government figures that probably go by the Job Centre stats that take in to account Agencies advertising jobs that they haven’t got. :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

DAFMAD:
Probably got some Government figures that probably go by the Job Centre stats that take in to account Agencies advertising jobs that they haven’t got. :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

Don’t get me started on that. I also rang one this week that turned out to be a company offering a franchise opportunity to be an owner driver of a hiab truck delivering readymixed mortar in tubs to building sites. He didn’t see the funny side when I suggested investing in a company that depends on the building trade might not be the wisest move at the minute