Proposed new EU driver raodside checks!

Right its been up a while now!!

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3147

What do you lot make of it?
More fines, more checks, more road blocks and more hassle for the already hassled HGV driver!

Will they ever leave us alone?
Forget the UK drivers strike maybe we should be having a EU Drivers strike?

I’ve got no problem with VOSA doing thier job, I’ve always excepted it as part of the job and there to ensure mine and other safety, I’ve also the found the people working for the ministry polite and friendly.
However my brother went on a course run by VOSA and when there he was told that VOSA have to meet targets for GV9’s overloading etc. So if they are down on thier targets it might be that the minor problem that you would have got away with only warning will end up as a GV9. :confused:

I also have no problem with VOSA and I agree that there mostly are they for our and other moterists saftey!
But to increase, stops and possible fines, seems to me its going the way the Police went with the speed camera’s!

I am sure we all know firms that run bent, how come its only the drivers who know about these firms? it wont be long before VOSA wont give a hoot about these companies, saying there dont have time to check them out dealing with the increasing roadside checks for the law obiding driver!!

It wont happen■■? thats what the 'ECILOP said!!!

That could be the problem, I think for most drivers VOSA are thought of as more of a friend than enemy.
I think the big problem is political interference and the anti truck lobby in Europe. There seems to be a powerful group in Europe who wants to legislate trucks off the roads of Europe.

I recently got stopped for a roadside check by VOSA/police, couldn’t have been better.
Polite, non-adversarial, efficient and helpful with advice.
I got a delayed PG9 on the thursday to be corrected by the monday, they completely forgot about the bank holiday weekend, the boss phoned the local VOSA and they said don’t worry, just book it in on the tuesday or wednesday.
I don’t particularly mind the checks, they are there for the good of us all, but when are they going to start checking cars and car and caravan combo’s, they are just as bad, if not worse that trucks, and they travel faster.

They even teach about VOSA in schools nowadays, with practical demonstrations at the end of term.

Sorry about the dead thread revival :laughing:

thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/ … ticle.html

Just a quick question-when I try to click on that link,it tells me “You are not authorized to view this forum”. :question:

I`m logged in so any ideas?

wouldnt be bad if they dint have silly targets to meet its crazy!! no time for them even tho most of them are decent chaps and only doing a job, but targets are targets!!! and our cash is what they want… the rest are wanna be cops who couldnt make the grades!!! and why cant i read the link either■■?

Derby Evening Telegraph
Friday, May 28, 2010, 07:30

Nine out of 10 prom limos fail in test swoop as pupils celebrated last day at school

VEHICLE inspectors swooped on a Derbyshire school’s annual leaving event and found problems with nine out of 10 limousines hired by pupils.

More than 300 year-11 pupils from John Port School in Etwall were celebrating their last day of compulsory schooling in style when inspectors from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency moved in.

They had been alerted to the leavers’ event by a car hire company concerned by the growth in limousines and hire vehicles cashing in on the celebrations.

A VOSA spokeswoman said: "We were asked to attend and so we notified the school in advance of our intention.

“We were checking for mechanical defects, tyres and loading as well as for valid MOTs, operator licences and checking drivers’ hours. Unfortunately 90% of the vehicles checked were found to have licence or vehicle problems.”

South Derbyshire District Council and the police helped with the inspections.

A spokesman said defects were spotted on five of the vehicles, including problems with tyres, a lack of power steering and no seatbelts.

Other problems included vehicles not having the relevant operator’s licence, while one driver was reported to the police for driving not in accordance with a licence, he said.

Prohibition notices were given to eight of the vehicles. The drivers or owners will have to provide proof they are roadworthy before being allowed to operate again.

Traditionally, pupils club together to hire a variety of vehicles to travel to school on their final day, clothed in evening dresses and tuxedos.

The trend for hiring limousines, particularly by school leavers, has grown in recent years and this has prompted VOSA to run spot checks nationally during May, when many schools also have prom events in the evenings.

The VOSA spokeswoman said: “Anyone hiring limousines should make sure that they are being carried in a licensed vehicle and that it carries the appropriate paperwork.”

Vehicles with more than eight passenger seats used for hire must be operated by an individual or company that has been granted a PCV (formerly PSV) operator’s licence.

Councillor John Bladen, of the district council, said: "The results show we were right to carry out the checks.

"Licensed companies need to undertake necessary checks to make sure the vehicles are roadworthy and safe and drivers are vetted.

“Only if the vehicle has been properly examined will it be safe to carry members of the public.”

A spokesman for John Port School confirmed that pupils were unaware of the inspections.

He said: "We did not want to spoil the day but did not object to them being carried out.

"Pupils were only being carried one way in the vehicles so it did not affect them going home at the end of the day.

“We are shocked about the outcome of the inspections and will be issuing guidance to pupils and parents about hiring vehicles in future years.”

Mark Pinfield, who runs the Hire Brigade and drives a pink former Coventry Fire Brigade engine, said he was questioned about an operator’s licence.

He said: “I see why these things have to be done to keep people safe.”

VOSA says there are some useful questions parents can ask when inquiring about limousine hire.

Do you have an operator’s licence and what is the licence number?

How many passengers can your limousine carry? If more than eight, then the limousine must have a Certificate of Initial Fitness.

Does the limousine have a tachograph fitted? Any limousine with more than eight seats must have a tachograph fitted.

What type of licence does the chauffeur hold? All chauffeurs driving a limousine with more than eight seats must have a PCV (previously known as PSV) licence.

Wheel Nut:

Derby Evening Telegraph

Nine out of 10 prom limos fail in test swoop as pupils celebrated last day at school

VEHICLE inspectors swooped on a Derbyshire school’s annual leaving event and found problems with nine out of 10 limousines hired by pupils.

More than 300 year-11 pupils from John Port School in Etwall were celebrating their last day of compulsory schooling in style when inspectors from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency moved in.

They had been alerted to the leavers’ event by a car hire company concerned by the growth in limousines and hire vehicles cashing in on the celebrations.

A VOSA spokeswoman said: "We were asked to attend and so we notified the school in advance of our intention.

“We were checking for mechanical defects, tyres and loading as well as for valid MOTs, operator licences and checking drivers’ hours. Unfortunately 90% of the vehicles checked were found to have licence or vehicle problems.”

A spokesman said defects were spotted on five of the vehicles, including problems with tyres, a lack of power steering and no seatbelts.

Other problems included vehicles not having the relevant operator’s licence, while one driver was reported to the police for driving not in accordance with a licence, he said.

Prohibition notices were given to eight of the vehicles. The drivers or owners will have to provide proof they are roadworthy before being allowed to operate again.

Traditionally, pupils club together to hire a variety of vehicles to travel to school on their final day, clothed in evening dresses and tuxedos.

The trend for hiring limousines, particularly by school leavers, has grown in recent years and this has prompted VOSA to run spot checks nationally during May, when many schools also have prom events in the evenings.

The VOSA spokeswoman said: “Anyone hiring limousines should make sure that they are being carried in a licensed vehicle and that it carries the appropriate paperwork.”

Vehicles with more than eight passenger seats used for hire must be operated by an individual or company that has been granted a PCV (formerly PSV) operator’s licence.

Councillor John Bladen, of the district council, said: "The results show we were right to carry out the checks.

"Licensed companies need to undertake necessary checks to make sure the vehicles are roadworthy and safe and drivers are vetted.

“Only if the vehicle has been properly examined will it be safe to carry members of the public.”

A spokesman for John Port School confirmed that pupils were unaware of the inspections.

He said: "We did not want to spoil the day but did not object to them being carried out.

"Pupils were only being carried one way in the vehicles so it did not affect them going home at the end of the day.

“We are shocked about the outcome of the inspections and will be issuing guidance to pupils and parents about hiring vehicles in future years.”

Mark Pinfield, who runs the Hire Brigade and drives a pink former Coventry Fire Brigade engine, said he was questioned about an operator’s licence.

VOSA says there are some useful questions parents can ask when inquiring about limousine hire.

How many passengers can your limousine carry? If more than eight, then the limousine must have a Certificate of Initial Fitness.

Does the limousine have a tachograph fitted? Any limousine with more than eight seats must have a tachograph fitted.

What type of licence does the chauffeur hold? All chauffeurs driving a limousine with more than eight seats must have a PCV (previously known as PSV) licence.

This is BS. Typical ‘Stasi’ way that this country is becoming. Why couldn’t they go down and inspect the cars and licences at some other time instead of ruining the kids’ prom night? [zb] [zb] the lot of them. :angry:

:open_mouth: Prom Night :question: :question: :question: Prom Night :question: :question: :question:
Yet another Yankee import along with Halloween :imp: :imp: :imp:, just begging in a different guise, and dangerous too :imp: :imp:
The day I finished school we just went down the pub and got ratfaced :grimacing: :laughing: :smiley:
We were 16 and had been pubbing it for a year or more and no school uniforms :exclamation: No ID cards :exclamation:
Going back to bed to watch my ‘Grumpy Old Men’ DVD’s, even find myself agreeing with the ‘Grumpy Old Women’ as well :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
‘Crazytrucker’
We just had the ‘Men from the Ministry’ in my day and on the whole I found them to be decent blokes who wouldn’t put you off the road for nothing. The only hassle I ever had was caused by a cheapskate guvnor, all to do with a bust tacho, apparently when I informed him that the ‘Men from the Ministry’ would be visiting the yard he was shut in the office for three days chucking iffy tachos in the bin, and going through all his paperwork with a fine tooth comb. Oh how we laughed :laughing: :laughing: but even better to have witnessed it :exclamation: :cry: :cry: :cry: I ended it with him by leaving his motor with a loaded trailer and the keys in it on Immingham Dock :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Rob K:
This is BS. Typical ‘Stasi’ way that this country is becoming. Why couldn’t they go down and inspect the cars and licences at some other time instead of ruining the kids’ prom night? [zb] [zb] the lot of them. :angry:

Have to agree with that one Rob, although the local council inspectors are often out round Derby with a mobile workshop pulling in taxis, we use yellow cabs round here, many of which come from London and leave a bit to be desired.

:open_mouth: Prom Night :question: :question: :question: Prom Night :question: :question: :question:
Yet another Yankee import along with Halloween :imp: :imp: :imp:, just begging in a different guise, and dangerous too :imp: :imp:

And here was me thinking Proms was short for Promenade or Stroll and was made famous by Henry Moore. I don’t get the bit about begging at all. unless we can beg another bottle of champagne from the couple sat next to us at Calke Abbey while the Spitfire flies overhead

Wheel Nut:

Derby Evening Telegraph

yep thats the type of james hunts some of them are, i agree for once :open_mouth: with special k on the above but as i say not time for them what so ever,
yet again i was stopped because i incovinience a vosa man as i had to over take a slower moving vehicle the other day and he had to slow down in his private car on the A1 on his way to work at sawtry!! and then made the vostapo car stop me and bring me into sawtry all for going about my daily business in a correct manner i may add aswell, and even the vostapo tapper said to me we was told to stop you and bring you in for a check due to him been slowed down by me!!! and then people as me what i think of the vostapos!! most are decent guys just doing a job but the rest a complete toilet houses

globby 480:
yep thats the type of james hunts some of them are, i agree for once :open_mouth: with special k on the above but as i say not time for them what so ever,
yet again i was stopped because i incovinience a vosa man as i had to over take a slower moving vehicle the other day and he had to slow down in his private car on the A1 on his way to work at sawtry!! and then made the vostapo car stop me and bring me into sawtry all for going about my daily business in a correct manner i may add aswell, and even the vostapo tapper said to me we was told to stop you and bring you in for a check due to him been slowed down by me!!! and then people as me what i think of the vostapos!! the rest are decent guys just doing a job but most are complete toilet houses

Corrected that for you. :bulb: