Vosa delayed prohibitions

a mate of mine was pulled last week by vosa and issued with a delayed prohibition on his truck for an abs light on, the truck needs to be off the road by 0936 tomorrow morning, the fault has been fixed but his boss couldn’t get it booked in till Wednesday and has given him a load to do tomorrow, i have advised him not to drive the truck after 0936 but I am not sure if the driver would be liable for any fines if he were to keep driving it, can anyone on here shed any light on the matter? Is it an operator only problem or does the driver share any responsibility too?

if the fault has been fixed an he is stopped they should lift the prohibition there an then, or if he is brave enough call into a check point /test station an try his luck at gettin it lifted the day before, take 5 mins tops

lifted one a short while back on a foriegn truck which had been put on 9 months previously with a 7 day delay.it got stopped again with all the same faults.truck was disabled by vosa(the green wire)and could only be towed away.one of the faults was amber abs light.the fine was issued to the driver,but payed by the operator by a credit card over the phone.after repairing it i took it up to perry barr for removal(after getting a variation over the phone)as they can’t book in foriegn plates at a local station. :open_mouth:

Once the delayed prohibition starts the truck vehicle can only be driven to a test station for a pre-booked test, it cannot be driven for any other reason even if the fault has been fixed.
I am surprised that a prohibition was issued for a light, that would usually be a fault and notice to get it fixed, in my case it was done before I left the checkpoint and signed off by vosa there and then.

Martin, it was displaying an ABS warning light, basically saying that the ABS safety feature was not working correctly

to the OP, the truck cannot be used until it is lifted at a designated premises, it cannot be lifted at a VOSA checkpoint, due to the nature of the PG9

be aware too, the truck will be ‘invited’ for a ‘voluntary’ brake test, so, if it is a 6x2, take a fully loaded trailer for the brake test, otherwise, you will have to pay to use the centre’s trailer :wink:

The prohibition is recorded on the operators records, and of course the driver has to bear the main brunt for driving a defective vehicle. Our T/M had a word with Vosa about ABS/orange lights staying on, and this defect has been added to our daily check sheet which has to be signed off, and we are instructed not to take the vehicle out if its defective.
Abs lights sometimes can be avoided by switching off the engine when connecting the ABS lead, or after connecting to let the system re-set. Of course the problem with computers is they sometimes show faults that are not dangerous, but are there for Vosa to see should you be stopped, they are also incorporated for your own safety as well, but if you work for a good company they will ensure that rules are also in place to help, not hinder you…

truckyboy:
The prohibition is recorded on the operators records, and of course the driver has to bear the main brunt for driving a defective vehicle. Our T/M had a word with Vosa about ABS/orange lights staying on, and this defect has been added to our daily check sheet which has to be signed off, and we are instructed not to take the vehicle out if its defective.
Abs lights sometimes can be avoided by switching off the engine when connecting the ABS lead, or after connecting to let the system re-set. Of course the problem with computers is they sometimes show faults that are not dangerous, but are there for Vosa to see should you be stopped, they are also incorporated for your own safety as well, but if you work for a good company they will ensure that rules are also in place to help, not hinder you…

one of my trucks had an ABS warning light on, and picked up a delayed PG9, there ws no ABS fault on the vehicle, the fault, according to the diagnostic computer was in fact an ASR fault, not ABS, but showed up as an ABS light on the dashboard

simple fix people say, no :smiling_imp: the vehicle in question did not have ASR, but it showed up as a fault

On some of our trailers the orange abs warning lights don’t go out till the trailer goes over 7kph (it states this
on a makers plate on the headboard) , how do they test for this at a roadside/lay-by check? Got let off with it once but have always wondered about it.

Cheers for the advice guys, his boss ended up cancelling the load and sending it in to the garage where they get the tests done as apparently the tester can insist on a full test at his discretion so he was sat around all day yesterday while his truck was mot prepped!!!

There isn’t a lot you can do if VOSA get their talons into you, but they do offer some advice about the ABS EBS.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source … dw&cad=rja

opens as a PDF download

Here is a new idea from VOSA about ABS and to my mind much fairer too!