One for our VOSA colleagues

Arrive at work and the manager, not a TM, calls me in to the office asks me to go a different route to one of our depots as VOSA are pulling all the trucks they see and causing a tail back, OK says I, in passing I happened to mention the small defects on the truck I was driving, he said they wouldn’t be a problem if I was stopped as VOSA work on a “Traffic light system”.
So RED if your company have had lots of defects, AMBER if your company has had not so many defects and GREEN if your company has got mint condition, never before been on the road trucks.

I don’t think so, as VOSA would have a very long list of RED, AMBER and GREEN companies.

So the query is. Do VOSA have such a list? :wink: :unamused:

Vosa do have a “Traffic Light system”

Its basically a combination of factors which determine your score and whether you are a bad (red) or good (green) operator.

It is made up of mot failure rates, overloading prohibitions, pg9’s etc etc etc.

If you do a quick search on the vosa website you can find more detailed info about it.

read this mate

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37607

but in a word the traffic light system takes into account mot failures tacho offences as well as vehicle defects based on when vehicles are pulled for routine. tell your boss if you get pulled for routine and they slap at PG9 in your face they might pay a visit to your place of work.

but your boss seems to think “green” operators get a “get out of jail free” card for being green you might want to tell him they are not excluded from road side checks, they have to be checked still to make sure they are green and not just abusing their green status :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Thats right, Sainsburys, and I dare say most supermarkets are green, but just lately they have been targeting Sainsbugs vehicles, impounded one the other week

One of our night trunkers was pulled by VOSA on the M5 last night for a defective headlight bulb, told it had to be sorted before he could carry on! He had to wait over an hour for fitter to arrive as he didnt have any spares, bit harsh when you see cars with loads of lights out on the m/way :unamused:

Governor!:
One of our night trunkers was pulled by VOSA on the M5 last night for a defective headlight bulb, told it had to be sorted before he could carry on! He had to wait over an hour for fitter to arrive as he didnt have any spares, bit harsh when you see cars with loads of lights out on the m/way :unamused:

They pulled one of our trucks at half 4 in the morning also with a blown headlight bulb so the driver changed it and that blow straight away.So was then told get it fixed or wait till day light to move so Dafaid appear change bulb it blows to then say has your lorry had the recall wiring loom fitted.
The answer was no the lease company forgot to tell us why do you have to seem to fight so many people to stay legal :open_mouth:

what qualifacations do you need to become enforcment officer with vosa and whats the pay like?

scotstrucker:
what qualifacations do you need to become enforcment officer with vosa and whats the pay like?

Just fail all GCSE’s, lose any sense of fair play, pay is dire, it is on VOSA site, about 16k I think, you certainly wouldn’t do it for the money!

brados:

scotstrucker:

Just fail all GCSE’s, lose any sense of fair play, pay is dire, it is on VOSA site, about 16k I think, you certainly wouldn’t do it for the money!

is that all they getting a year, no wonder they are handing out fpn’s like confetti coz they probably on commision, the more tickets they hand out the more pay they earn

brados:

scotstrucker:

You need to be a cpc holder and computer literate, to be an enforcement officer, an assistant officer earns around 20 odd and a enforcement officer earns 30 odd and its shift work.

vosa.gov.uk/careers

scotstrucker:

you cant become one so i’ve heard. rumor has it that TEO’s are produced out of moulds in a dark and scary looking DfT factory.

if any of you have seen judge dredd i imagine its something on that scale :stuck_out_tongue:

scotstrucker:

brados:

scotstrucker:

is that all they getting a year, no wonder they are handing out fpn’s like confetti coz they probably on commision, the more tickets they hand out the more pay they earn

i heard the TEO’s at liverpool docks earnt about 5k on commision from FPN’s in a month :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(before i get jumped on yes i know they dont earn commision it all goes to the government (allegedly :wink: )

to clarify a few points;

Operator Compliance Risk Score (OCRS) is based on a number of factors, as others have already mentioned. Effectively if your vehicles pass MOT first time and you get a clean bill of health from either a roadside check or an operating centre visit, you keep the green score. What that means is that you are less likely to get pulled into a checksite in the first place. Many sites, because of their location, cannot access the data quickly enough to make the ‘don’t stop’ decision when you are on the road. When somebody ‘keys’ your reg number into the system and determines that your ‘in the green’ then you’re highly likely to get waved through the checksite :smiley: . My local site you have about 5 seconds between first seeing the vehicle and having to indicate for it to pull into the site, not enough time to read the number plate, let alone key it into the ‘handheld’ and get a response. The OCRS will also change downward with time, particularly if there are no MOT results or vehicles checked. If you get a clear check or MOT pass then the score goes back up again. Other operators in the same part of the industry may also affect your score. For instance, if it is noted that generally tipper operators doing ‘muck away’ (please note I’m not saying this applies to tipper operators, just using you as an example) appear to have a falling first time pass rate at annual test and have an increasing roadside prohibition rate, then their OCRS rating will lower and more vehicles from that sector will be examined. If those vehicles get a clear check then the OCRS will head back towards the higher levels and the Examiners will go and look at something else.

You do not need to have operator CPC’s or any other particular qualifications to be an Examiner. Some experience of the transport industry (there are quite a few ex-drivers and mechanics) or an enforcement background usually helps. It helps if you have a reasonable command of English as you will be writing statements for court. Also helps to have basic maths, nothing complicated, anything more than working out 10 % of a weight and I reach for the calculator!! Being computer literate does help, again nothing special; if you can send e-mails and open a ‘word’ document you’ll cope. The systems are deigned so that you can work your way through the process relatively easily. Sense of humour is pretty important, especially if you read some comments on these and other forums. The wages aren’t anything special. Roadside Examiners will get around £24 000. There is a London weighting allowance and a shift premium (about £ 7 000) but not all places are on shifts. Inspectors on the test lanes get less than those figures. No, there is no ‘bonus’ for how many fixed penalties you issue, the money goes straight to H M Government. But Groovy Greg got there before me. :smiley:

we were all recently shown what our OCRS score was in a driver meeting :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: but both sections were in the green :grimacing: :grimacing:

but does say i dunno 22% in the mechanical section and 23% in the tacho section (forget the correct name) mean you’d risk of become amber if it goes to say 30% or does it slip to amber/red if the percentage gets lower say 15% :question: if that makes sense.
(not our score just examples)

cheers

greg.

Wheel Nut:
Needs Speakers :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh what fun that thread was :laughing:

Keywords are OCRS and Alert :stuck_out_tongue:

geebee45:
You do not need to have operator CPC’s or any other particular qualifications to be an Examiner

I was right about failing the O levels then :wink: :wink: :wink:

scotstrucker:
no wonder they are handing out fpn’s like confetti coz they probably on commision,

Yeah that’s right, of course they are. Or maybe its because the drivers were breaking the law/rules. Any more braindead bollox you want to come out with? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

when i said they throw out fpns like confetti it was meant in a joke way as greg and geebee (who has prob written a few in his time but thats his job) both apperntly seem to have grasped so thankyou greg and geebee for seeing it that way because apperntly conor cant

Thanks for the information and comments gents, has made for very interesting reading, including the links. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:
Stu

scotstrucker:

Had a look on the VOSA site and bad news NO JOBS :grimacing: :grimacing: