Volvo FH stereo wiring

Hi,i wondered if anyone knew how easy it is to change the Volvo cd player for an aftermarket one.
Do i need to cut plugs off the wiring ?,or will an aftermarket one just fit in without damaging the wiring?
Or do i need to buy an adapter for the plugs as i dont really want to start cutting plugs off etc.

All help would be appriciated,thanks.

If it is a relatively new Volvo. last 6 years or so then an after market unit will just go straight in and use existing plugs. If it is older an one you might need an adaptor cable and the one sold for the Volvo V40 car will do the job. I changed the head unit on all the Volvos I operated.

Thanks Coffee,ive got a 2008 model and the stereo in it is just ,well pants!

It chews my cd’s up and has no usb socket so i’m thinking of changing it for a sony one out of Halfords.

jase:
Thanks Coffee,ive got a 2008 model and the stereo in it is just ,well pants!

It chews my cd’s up and has no usb socket so i’m thinking of changing it for a sony one out of Halfords.

Should have no problems, it was Sony units I changed the Volvo one for in each of mine. The Volvo ones are pretty poor.

Wished i’d bought the bugger now,got to wait till next weekend now to get to Halfords unless i’m tipping somewhere near one in the week.
Thanks for your help Coffee,much appreciated.

You will find though that sometimes an aftermarket one may not work vis the steering wheel controls…

fitted a jvc r401 into my fh last month,goes straight in with plugs provided although you’ll need to have a live feed connected to it to keep radio station memory (dunno how it was done,my fitter did in about 5mins tho),also as stated,you won’t have steering wheel controls,hope this helps

Davyboy:
fitted a jvc r401 into my fh last month,goes straight in with plugs provided although you’ll need to have a live feed connected to it to keep radio station memory (dunno how it was done,my fitter did in about 5mins tho),also as stated,you won’t have steering wheel controls,hope this helps

With the JVC ones it is usually a simple matter of switching two wires around, I think it is a red and a yellow one and they come pre-wired with bullet connectors so you can do it easily.

It’s a good job I haven’t got steering wheel controls by the sound of it.Just think that with the price of the truck,the least they could do is fit a decent stereo.