Volvo FL Stereo connections

I want to change the stereo on my FL, the current unit is a standard Volvo tape deck 2003 vintage, and I have a Kenwood 3090 lying about doing nothing.

I had a look at the connections today while the workshops were fixing the bits I snapped off the body :confused: and it appears to be similar to the connections found in Pre Ford Cars. 960’s et al.

So, does any body know what fitment I need to buy to be able to connect my Kenwood into the FL loom?

TIA
Stuart.

go to your nearest car accessary dealer and you should be able to ket a loom to fit.
if not cut the old volvo plugs off and connected up the kenward loom with chocky blocks.
should take about 10mins or so.
hope this helps.
chris

caveman:
if not cut the old volvo plugs off and connected up the kenward loom with chocky blocks.

Thats a big no no. Spoke to Workshop manager about fitting it, he said that I had to leave the loom intact.

So use scotch locks so you can leave the loom in place

simon

SimonRS2K:
So use scotch locks so you can leave the loom in place

simon

Scotch locks :question:

Are those the blue connectors with an M shaped piece of metal that clamp over the 2 wires?

TBH you can cause all sorts of problems using chokky blocks. Resale values are affected a fair bit too!

Best bet is the adaptor harness from Halfords

Theres a good ICE place along the road from my base, so I’ll pop in there sometime tomorrow.

Anyone got any idea what type of connector is in the FL?

Or is my best bet to take in Male connector from the current harness into the shop with the new stereo?

tvradict:
Are those the blue connectors with an M shaped piece of metal that clamp over the 2 wires?

Thems the suckers

dennisw1:
TBH you can cause all sorts of problems using chokky blocks. Resale values are affected a fair bit too!

Cant see that myself sorry, How many people take out the stereo when buying a truck just to check the wiring

simon

If the radio is out dated then cut the connectors from that and join to your new radio with block connectors.

Cheapest and easiest.

I wouldn’t say the radio is out dated. the trucks only 2.5 years old. The problem is, its a tape player, and I dont own any tapes. Well, actually, thats not true, I have a boxfull in the loft, but they mainly consist of offerings from Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends and Walt Disney! :open_mouth:

I have no way of recording to Tapes anymore, (for the last 5 years at least) so I need a cd player.

The Workshop manager told me I wasn’t to cut the connectors off as they will want to fit the OE Stereo back when they sell the truck.

I’ll pop into A1 tomorrow and get the right connector.

Cheers All. :smiley:

I had that problem on my last Volvo and I picked up an adaptor that converts the Volvo plugs to The standard ones from a car audio place. It was sold as being an adaptor for Volvo cars but the connections are the same in their cars and trucks.

My current Volvo came with the standard connectors so it was just a matter of plugging the player in. I still have the adaptor lead I used on the last truck somewhere, if you can’t find one give me a shout and I’ll see if I can find it and post it to you.

Is the standard Volvo stereo 12V or 24V? If it’s 24V then be very careful or you’ll end up turning your nice new stereo into a rather large (smouldering) paperweight.

Paul

It’s 12V Rep. They are rebadged Clarion units.

if the truck is only 2.5yrs old the plugs should be standard din connecters, if it is its a doddle just get a din-whatever make of stereo it is that you have takes about 30 seconds to fit, or a clarion to kenwood, alpine, jvc etc etc easy :smiley: :smiley:
the only problem will be the cage that the stereo sits in as it will be different to another make of stereo so try not to mangle it when you take it out :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
whole job should take 10mins max
chris

Coffeeholic:
I had that problem on my last Volvo and I picked up an adaptor that converts the Volvo plugs to The standard ones from a car audio place. It was sold as being an adaptor for Volvo cars but the connections are the same in their cars and trucks.

I’m not so sure neil, just had a look at the back of a Volvo SC 700 Stereo I just happen to have lying around and the connectors on it are completely different to the one in the truck.

caveman:
if the truck is only 2.5yrs old the plugs should be standard din connecters, if it is its a doddle just get a din-whatever make of stereo it is that you have takes about 30 seconds to fit, or a clarion to kenwood, alpine, jvc etc etc easy :smiley: :smiley:

Thats what I had hoped, but it seems Volvo had a different Idea. The plug on the loom is an 2*2 block, which then had an adaptor on it to connet it to the Volvo (clarion) head unit.

My Kenwood stereo came with an adaptor which you plug the DIN connectors into, then plug it into the stereo. My '93 Orion had the DIN connectors, as did my friends KA, but Volvo hadn’t grasped this concept in 2003.

repton:
Is the standard Volvo stereo 12V or 24V? If it’s 24V then be very careful or you’ll end up turning your nice new stereo into a rather large (smouldering) paperweight.

Paul

All our trucks come with Reducers in them so its def 12v.

Sorted :sunglasses:

Pulled the head unit out and swiped the existing adaptor, and took it with the new one into the auto shop.

I showed them the existing one and told them it was from a Volvo FL. The guy immediately shook his head and said ‘We dont do commercial stuff, you’d better go to Volvo’. When I queried this he asked his mate, who said pretty much the same, ‘You’ve no chance mate’. This was overheard by a young lad who was tinkering with another head unit. He asked what it was for, Volvo FL, and he said, I’m sure I saw FL while i was looking for an S40 adaptor.

Sure enough 5 minutes later, adaptor was ordered. Arrives on Friday. £10 :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thanks for everyones help!

glad to have been of some help :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
hope it all works.
chris