Very long haul drivers

Millwall:
No, they do not. A Merc is not the best for KZ or Russia, despite what might look good in glossy adverts. Volvo I’m afraid.

I was going to say this but held off because I thought that I would be considered to be trolling. However, it is true.

Apart from Willi Betz, who buy trucks by the thousand and buy on price alone, nobody who started regular trips to Russia or other far-flung places would ever spec a Mercedes over a Volvo. Insufficiently hardy, and with poor back up.

But isn’t that always the story with German vehicles in Russia? :wink:

Harry Monk:

Millwall:
No, they do not. A Merc is not the best for KZ or Russia, despite what might look good in glossy adverts. Volvo I’m afraid.

Apart from Willi Betz, who buy trucks by the thousand and buy on price alone, nobody who started regular trips to Russia or other far-flung places would ever spec a Mercedes over a Volvo. Insufficiently hardy, and with poor back up.

But isn’t that always the story with German vehicles in Russia? :wink:

Slightly off topic of sorts I have noticed quite a few new (59 Plates) Renault Magnums and few registered in CZ as well creeping into the Betz stable.

The point Harry & myself are making Mr Ben9, is that the Volvo is the truck that stands up best to conditions in Russia & KZ. The Magnum won’t like it, neither will the Merc. Scania’s are probably the WORST.

The OP wanted a trip he/she could write about in a glossy mag, but it must be a Merc cos they’re paying for it. Well the Merc won’t fare well against a Volvo on this kind of trip, sorry & all that, but its a fact. :smiley:

I do Lochgilphead to Carlisle occassionally in a Renault Premium does that count :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

McPloppy ©:
I do Lochgilphead to Carlisle occassionally in a Renault Premium does that count :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

count yersel lucky McPloppy the futhest i get these days is from one side of turriff to the other be lucky if its more than 10 miles

:wink:

Millwall:
The point Harry & myself are making Mr Ben9, is that the Volvo is the truck that stands up best to conditions in Russia & KZ. The Magnum won’t like it, neither will the Merc. Scania’s are probably the WORST.

The OP wanted a trip he/she could write about in a glossy mag, but it must be a Merc cos they’re paying for it. Well the Merc won’t fare well against a Volvo on this kind of trip, sorry & all that, but its a fact. :smiley:

If Mercedes Benz are prepared to lend The Dear Leader a truck, I’m sure he will send it to Kazakhstan and instruct the driver to take some pics of it on the way!

Although it would of course have to be free of charge :wink:

Harry Monk:
Although it would of course have to be free of charge :wink:

He’d probably ask for payment!!! Might even drive it himself. Another £1200 phone bill on the way…

Mercedes can supply the unit and trailer. i will drive it wherever you want.
you will need to pay me decent money though. i won’t work for bulgarian rates of two chickens a month.

robv8:
Grampian International Freight have 2 new Mercs, they go all over.

just had a weekend with both of the mercs in carisio nice guys and they drink alot lol

Mercedes Benz are worshipped by most in the east , but only the old ones , the V8 442 is a legend . In ukraine they 1838/44/50 sk models. We have been sending old sk to Afghanistan since 2002 by overland , sometimes pulling with 1834 v6 models , they did struggle in Turkey with heavy loads of spares on them. Recently they took Actros but have had many problems with the early 97/98 models.
We have been with FH12/420 units ,i must admit they could pull 2 loads quiker than an 1838 sk ,but these were never used in Afghanistan ,they would be sent back into Iran for parts .

mercs ar for girls. :grimacing:

What about using Brawn/Stobart F1 fleet, they must have covered a few country’s over this season and you can bet there are thousands of pictures around that could be used.
Here is one taken in Carisio Italy

Gav8:
Hi,

I wonder if I can get some help. I’m motoring journalist working on stories about very long haul drivers operating from the UK. I’m looking for somebody who does heroic distances to Europe in a Mercedes truck. Any guidance would be very welcome.

Gavin

Speak to S&B Commercials at Hatfield, there’s a customer of theirs with a really smart black mega space who does Greece, he told me he was doing M/E but changed his tune when I commented that you cant do it in RHD anymore, a driver full of bull, a journos dream :wink:

definitely try Pulleyns they are regularly in Scandinavia, Turkey ,Greece and all other EU countries… As has been stated ALL Merc fleet and never a problem with breakdown cover from talking amongst drivers.

m3ter:
ALL Merc fleet and never a problem with breakdown cover.

ah but surely it’s better to not break down in the first place, i.e buy a swede :grimacing:

Just to throw my 2pence worth in…thought I saw one of Hogghauls the other day with a merc on the front, dont they go to the more extreme and exotic places!!! :wink: :wink:

I had once extreme mercedes job from Driver Hire! I had to travel an B registration mercedes removal van from Glasgow Tradeston to West End and then as far as to Prestwick and back… That was a trip of my life due to the vehicle’s condition and the mates smoking hash until I called agency and told them that I will come back home by train…

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures :slight_smile:

I suppose the advantage of German vehicles (and drivers) is that they can sometimes travel to (and transit) neighbouring countries without needing the usual permits etc :wink: