Vehicle Speeds 2006

Just found this report with the latest figures for speeding.
I like how HGV drivers are the “worst offenders” even though the subject has changed from 30mph limits in built up areas to non-built up areas with national speed limits. If 75% of HGV drivers are breaking the 40mph limit for single carriageways, then I would hazard a guess that IT’S A STUPID LIMIT !
Why don’t they provide figures for the percentage of HGV drivers breaking the 30mph limit in built up areas ? I would guess that’s because it’s lower than the figures for car drivers.
We should hold a national “drive at the official limit on single carriageways” day, and see what that does for road congestion and accidents caused by the car drivers overtaking. They seem to forget that 10% of car drivers who break the hard 60mph limit works out to a far larger number of vehicles than 75% of HGV’s breaking an arbitrary 40mph limit - on the same type of road.
If they seriously want us to do 40 on single carriageways, then reduce the cars to 40mph too, then there is no need for them to overtake.
The quote from Sheila Rainger, RAC Foundation Head of Campaigns tickles me -
“Responsible motorists have got the message that slowing down in town reduces the risk of killing or injuring a pedestrian.
However, one in five motorists and bikers are still willing to take the chance of breaking the speed limit by 10% or more. We need more traffic police, targeting these excessive speeders, to change the behaviour of this minority and make the roads safer for everyone.”

Yep, that’s what we need, MORE traffic police ! I know, let’s give them guns too - are these people asking for a police state or what ?

Let the flames begin …

smoker:
Why don’t they provide figures for the percentage of HGV drivers breaking the 30mph limit in built up areas ? I would guess that’s because it’s lower than the figures for car drivers.

they did :

The survey also reveals a high incidence of speeding by HGVs on 30 mph roads: 44 per cent of 2-axle HGVs exceeded the speed limit, 15 per cent by more than 5 mph. This compares with 46 per cent and 18 per cent respectively in 2005.

and

In 2006 nearly half (49 per cent) of all car drivers on 30 mph built-up roads exceeded the speed limit compared with 65 per cent in 2001 and 72 per cent ten years earlier in 1996. On 40 mph built-up roads, 28 per cent of car drivers exceeded the speed limit, this is an increase of 4 per cent on the 2005 level.

Full DfT Press Release on The Insider

Well as it was work one get one free today I was a saint! Dead on 40 down the A17 the line of wolly trollys behind me was a sight to behold. Just needed a good in cab camera and could of made a fortune off youve been framed for some dodgy near miss overtaking!
Feel so safe at 40 in such surcumstances NOT!
Still what do I know.

We should hold a national “drive at the official limit on single carriageways” day,

Funny but I have one of them everyday. It pee’s off a lot of people, but I’ve got three points on my licence and they are for breaking that limit.

The survey also reveals a high incidence of speeding by HGVs on 30 mph roads: 44 per cent of 2-axle HGVs exceeded the speed limit, 15 per cent by more than 5 mph. This compares with 46 per cent and 18 per cent respectively in 2005.

Good.
So the figures are better than cars, and falling, but that doesn’t look so good in the Carkeys report.
Interesting it mentions 2 axle HGVs.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a lower limit when there are pedestrians about, I’d be happy with a 20mph in towns and inhabited areas. But apply it to everybody, not just single us out because of antiquated ideas of how a truck performs.
And on an open road in the country, I would say trucks are safer than cars because of the increased visibilty, but we have to drop 20mph to the cars, mainly to ensure their safety. Why not ensure their safety by forcing them to drive slower ? We’re just being used as blockers on the roads, and we get the abuse for it.

smoker:

Interesting it mentions 2 axle HGVs.

I wonder where 7.5 tonners or Vans appear in the stats :question: :question:

although as the "speeds are recorded as vehicles pass over an automatic counter " how do they tell the difference ?

The speed limits for modern trucks are outdated. The original lower limits were imposed when truckers had to have arm muscles the size of our legs to turn the steering wheel and the trucks had drum brakes.
I am not saying that all the lower limits for trucks should be changed, just some of the ridiculous ones. For example, dual carriageways should be 56mph and open two way roads like the A303 and A46 in places. I bet there are many more examples and it would not take much to alter the limit for trucks on these sections. A lorry sign with a 50 on it would merk the start of a higher truck limit and the same sign with a red line through it would mark the end.
Perhaps the planners/law makers are waiting to see if the majority of lorries will stop the common practice of driving too close as this is the main reason that the motorway limit has not been raised from 70 due to most users not leaving the minimum safety gap.

ROG

smoker:
We need more traffic police, targeting these excessive speeders, to change the behaviour of this minority and make the roads safer for everyone."

Yep, that’s what we need, MORE traffic police ! I know, let’s give them guns too - are these people asking for a police state or what ?

Let the flames begin …

More traffic cops might be a good thing in the past they turned a bit of a blind eye to a truck doing 50mph on a single carriageway road provided it was being driven in a safe manner, because they knew that it kept the traffic flowing. They also were able to spot bad drving that we all complain about but can’t be detected by more modern techonlogical means. However since the introduction of speed camera’s there has been a massive drop in funding for dedicated traffic cops.

Despite the 40mph limit being identified as a problem and not approriate for some roads it will not be changed due to the pressure from the anti truck lobby some of whom try and mascarade as road safety groups, such as transport 2000, who are made up of public transport organisations and evironmental groups and have no safety groups in thier organisation.

muckles:

smoker:
We need more traffic police, targeting these excessive speeders, to change the behaviour of this minority and make the roads safer for everyone."

Let the flames begin …

More traffic cops might be a good thing in the past they turned a bit of a blind eye to a truck doing 50mph on a single carriageway road provided it was being driven in a safe manner, because they knew that it kept the traffic flowing. They also were able to spot bad drving that we all complain about but can’t be detected by more modern techonlogical means. However since the introduction of speed camera’s there has been a massive drop in funding for dedicated traffic cops.

Despite the 40mph limit being identified as a problem and not approriate for some roads it will not be changed due to the pressure from the anti truck lobby some of whom try and mascarade as road safety groups, such as transport 2000, who are made up of public transport organisations and evironmental groups and have no safety groups in thier organisation.

My personal speed limits are… signed 30 then 30 sinnged 40 then 40
nat speed limit then 50 if safe
dual carriagedways limiter if safe
motorways if safe

most ncops will allow this but unfortunately cams wont :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

David5l:
My personal speed limits are… signed 30 then 30 sinnged 40 then 40
nat speed limit then 50 if safe
dual carriagedways limiter if safe
motorways if safe

most ncops will allow this but unfortunately cams wont :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah thats what i used to do (note the “used to”) 6 points in 2 months both off of scameras both for doing 50 on a nat speed limit road …So lets just say that pee’d on that particular bonfire :cry: …now whenever im on an single carriageway A road no matter how straight how long or how wide its 40mph all the way from lands end to john o groats if must…and if any pleb sat right up my rear end weaving in and out trying to intimidate me with the size of his truck (dont quite know how that works though seeing as im driving the same size vehicle :unamused: ) has a problem with that then tough ■■■■■ coz my licence is my career and my families life line …Slightly more important i think than you getting to your tip/base 5 mins sooner (if youd have left sooner you would have had more time to get there :wink: ) And besides its so boring driving at 40 that seeing you turning a funny shade of purple and having a heart attack is quite entertaining so i guess i should be thanking you… :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

If I had 6 points i’d probably do the same as you. I always slow for cameras though just incase they are set at 40.

And besides its so boring driving at 40 that seeing you turning a funny shade of purple and having a heart attack is quite entertaining so i guess i should be thanking you.

its the only reason I do 50, I’m never under pressure to speed. I dont think I’ve ever thought it safe to overtake another lorry on a 40 road so I’d just plod along patiently behind you and hope you need a pee soon :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

David5l:
so I’d just plod along patiently behind you and hope you need a pee soon :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Which wouldn’t be to long going by the amount of coffee/soft drinks that i consume :blush:

Plus i also have the occasional moment of pity for the poor [zb] stuck behind me and pull over temporarily (surely its not good being purple for that long :laughing: )