Single carriageway speeds

I was running up to Ben & Jerry’s in Vermont on Wednesday of this week and tuned in to Radio 2, I think it was either Jeremy Vine or Steve Wright on, can’t remember exactly but anyhow they were talking about a court case over there where a lorry driver got a ticket for doing 48 as he passed a tractor and it was a 40mph limit as has been the case for years. The driver stood up in court and told the magistrate the law was stupid and the speeds for cars and trucks should be equalised, which I totally agree. Anyhow they had people call in with their oppinions most of which were twaddle to say the least.Nobody seemed to understand that going so slow caused fustration from car drivers, long queue’s and accidents when they loose it and overtake in unsafe conditions, one comlete idiot sugested that the lorry limit for such roads should be lowered to bellow 30 mph so tat cars had a better chance of overtaking :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I remember when I lived there and worked for Tesco’s the abuse I used to get on the CB for doing 40 mph was amazing, after leaving Tesco and moving to the roadshow company I would run such roads at about 50mph and look out for speed cameras and cops etc. I find it hard to believe that this silly law still exists ?
Over here cars and trucks have the same speed limits and although you may hear of lots of accidents the actual proportion / ratio of accidents per vehicle and population is way bellow the rates in the UK. WE hardly get lines of traffic queued u behind us on single carriageway roads and if a car is held up and passes it’s because the driver wants to do about 10 or 20 moh faster than the limit.

It’s about time the limits over there were raised… and while we are on the subject a speed limiter set at 56mph is riddiculous when the legal limit on motorways is in fact still 60 mph FFS.

Think there was another post about this radio broadcast.

I think (and I’m sure most others do) that the 40mph limit is ■■■■■■■■. Its about time it was changed.

Only this afternoon I had a BMW come flying down a S/C bypass behind me. As I came off a round a bout (bearing to the left) he was speeding up and passing me BEFORE he had even seen the road ahead of him and me.

He ended up being a couple of feet off a head on collision with a people carrier, both must have been doing a minimum of 40mph each. Things won’t change until there is a very serious accident. Even then it probably will just be talked about for 7-8 months then forgotten.

:imp: :imp:

LR18-8:
Think there was another post about this radio broadcast.

Indeed there was. They don’t do thread merging here, but it might be a good idea :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90196

Just saw the othe post, so somehow transfering this thread to the other one, which is a good few pages now seems a good idea … please Rikki :wink:

I didn’t know Radio 2 reached that far!

Snudger:

Digital radio on my smart phone / Droid thingy I can listen to any station on earth via an app called ‘Tunein’ I then connect the phone to the aux inlet on the truck radio. I even listen to Heart FM in Milton Keynes some days.

But why? Technology eh?

Pat Hasler:

Snudger:

Digital radio on my smart phone / Droid thingy I can listen to any station on earth via an app called ‘Tunein’ I then connect the phone to the aux inlet on the truck radio. I even listen to Heart FM in Milton Keynes some days.

I bet that eats away your data allowance?

LR18-8:

Pat Hasler:

Snudger:

I bet that eats away your data allowance?

Not too bad, I also use Tune In Radio on my andriod phone and I’ve never noticed any probs with my data allowance.

Hiya…one thing thats bad in the uk with 40 mph is, many car drivers don,t know 40 is the limit
for lorries. so a car driver comes flying down the road and catches up a lorry doing 40 mph,
well the driver of the car wounders why the lorry is going so slow and follows with caution,
another car comes , and another then you have a trail of bad tempered drivers.
i think its a case of many car drivers not knowing the lorry law,s.
John