Speed limiters

Does anyone agree with me that speed limiters should be removed from all hgv’s. We could all drive at 70mph on motorways or 55mph when it’s raining.
this would cut congestion straight away.

I don’t know about 70mph but 60 would be nice. After all it is the actual speed limit in this country and not 90kph as dictated by our european rulers!!

I’ve never suffered from fatigue when sitting at 100k, nice comfortable speed to sit at on the motorways.

limeyphil:
Does anyone agree with me that speed limiters should be removed from all hgv’s. We could all drive at 70mph on motorways or 55mph when it’s raining.
this would cut congestion straight away.

I agree,eh,agreed some years back now :wink:

I think we should go back to the European limit of 80km

too many ■■■■■■■■ drivers…a lot extra mess to clean up

There is no doubt in my mind limiters have caused more problems than they have solved.

I dont have a problem with 90Km/H as a speed limit however limiters do in my opinion create havoc - we all know why.

What I do find disturbing on my infrequent visits to the UK is those trucks limited to about 80 / 85Km per hour with drivers sitting in them looking absolutely bored witless.

There was a report by a respected academic last year I think which suggested such speeds actually caused more accidents due to drivers simply daydreaming through sheer boredom and losing all concentration.

Unfortunately I think we have more chance of a speed cut these days than an increase - red flags and men in bowler hats is a distinct possibility.

Hombre:
What I do find disturbing on my infrequent visits to the UK is those trucks limited to about 80 / 85Km per hour with drivers sitting in them looking absolutely bored witless.

That’ll be me then 85kph on the nail and my TT reads 52mph (though that is better than some of the other trucks in our fleet that i have driven as they say 84kph but my TT tells me its only doing 49mph)

The worst thing is when you pull out into lane 2 to let another LGV join the M/way and he then holds off a little to allow you to get ahead and flash you back in but you just sit there like a numpty stuck in lane 2, this then goes either two ways he backs off even more to allow you in sacrificing his own recently gained road speed or him thinking F you then and flooring it and creeping up on the inside.

Trouble is that i have to remain at my speed coz either we would both end up easing off helping neither of us or easing off while he undertakes me and slowing the poor [zb] that is innevitably staring at the back of my trailer trying to work out why going so bloody slow is “making beer great” (perhaps it should be changed to “making beer LATE”)

Either way its a pain in the arse and at times bloody dangerous but it saves my boss about a penny a week or something equally daft and that has got to be worth at least double the value of my life so its perfectly understandable

If my boss were a part of a ship he would be a W shaped anchor

want a job? send me a message

limeyphil:

Who me phil??

Reef:

limeyphil:

Who me phil??

£587 take home. home at weekend. we’ve gone legal 2 weeks ago

I bet if you count all the accidents caused by fatigue since the introduction of speed limiters it is more likely to be doubled.

i remember wiring out the speed limiter on the old SK mercs just to get to POOLE in 4.5hrs, now the actros, atego etc are all hard wired so harder to fiddle but you think the technolgy today the braking system is more advanced so whats the problem of running at 60 - 65mph.

Raise the speed limit on single carriage ways to 50 - 55mph and dual to 60 -65mph

Why rush?
I get paid by the hour

limeyphil:

PM sent phil…

K.Adams:
I bet if you count all the accidents caused by fatigue since the introduction of speed limiters it is more likely to be doubled.

i remember wiring out the speed limiter on the old SK mercs just to get to POOLE in 4.5hrs, now the actros, atego etc are all hard wired so harder to fiddle but you think the technolgy today the braking system is more advanced so whats the problem of running at 60 - 65mph.
Raise the speed limit on single carriage ways to 50 - 55mph and dual to 60 -65mph

Probably the increase in traffic and the fact that you are probably now using prescription spectacles instead of rose tinted ones

According to government statistics, accident rates for hgv’s have fallen since the introduction of speed limiters. They also apparently reduce fuel consumption and emissions

Judging by most of the comments not many of you have to fill the tank up with your own ££££ while I agree 100kph(62mph) is probably the right speed as most trucks are still at there most efficient at that kind of speed anything above that or the currant 56 mph starts to cost£££ in fuel, BUT if we can do 62 some OTHERS will still want more, thats why we’ve got limiters no one trusts us