40 mph speed limit

Anyone else noticed that the ques behind HGV’s on single carrageways are getting longer and longer these days.
This is due mostly to the amount ofspeed camera “cash machines” mobile and fixed.
Even seen one van parked 200 yards further down the road solely to catch cars speeding up after the fixed camera!
Most cars drivers DO NOT KNOW that HGVs are only allowed to do 40 mph on single carrageways.
This limit was set 40 odd years ago… time to review?

no reviews, just build a few more dual carriageways. :wink:

No review, why is everybody in such a hurry to kill themselves anyway?

As you say the limits were set many years ago and people argue, rightly so, that braking systems etc have improved since then. However the flip side of that is vehicles were smaller and lighter and there was far less traffic about.

Also why does any driver who is paid by the hour want speed limits raised so they will end up doing more work for the same pay? The ones who ignore the limits now are already doing that as well as putting their licence at risk. :confused: :confused:

Chill out, slow down and enjoy the drive, you still get where you are going. You just get there a few minutes later.

reveiw yeh about time

70 kph single
80 kph dual
90 kph moterway

adr 80 kph convoi exceptional 85

Couldn’t care less about speed limit’s.i get there when i get there,if customer don’t like it then he/she can find another courier.

Welcome to trucknet SWA :wink:

Welcome Steering Wheel Attendant, no review but would like to see car drivers being made more aware of the 40mph limit although I don’t know how you could do this or if it would make any difference to their driving.

mrpj:
Welcome Steering Wheel Attendant, no review but would like to see car drivers being made more aware of the 40mph limit although I don’t know how you could do this or if it would make any difference to their driving.

If car drivers were to read the Highway Code FULLY, then they`d know that we are limited to 40 on a single carriageway :unamused:
Regards
Trev

mrpj:
would like to see car drivers being made more aware of the 40mph limit although I don’t know how you could do this or if it would make any difference to their driving.

We could always put in a request to Sally Trafic to see if she would mention it,

I have printed and laminated my own sign and stuck it on the back of my trailer, saying this vehicle is limited to 40mph on single carriageways.

Its amazing the amount of people who comment saying I didnt know that.

I have to stick to the limit having got 6 points from “safety cameras” in
Linconshire in 6mnths.

Trevor Parry:

mrpj:

If car drivers were to read the Highway Code FULLY, then they`d know that we are limited to 40 on a single carriageway :unamused:
Regards
Trev

Very true, I can’t imagine many do despite the fact they sign their provisional licence form to say they have.

Its stupid really isnt it 30 for tractors, 40 for trucks, 50 for vans and 60 for cars.

If you were to build a road and set those limits nowadays you would be laughed at.

Trevor Parry:
Regards
Trev

If car drivers read any of the highway code it would be a start.

Anyone know why coaches are allowed to do 50mph on single carriageways?

no review needed

there are already too many dingbats driving trucks who appear to have a death wish, Listen to the radio, sally traffic and lyn bowles.

An overturned truck on every road junction every morning :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to Trucknet UK steering wheel attendant :smiley: .

mojo:
Linconshire in 6mnths.

Me too, my 6 from Lincolnshire took 18 mth’s :blush:
SWA, This subject allways gets some Tnet users telling you to slow down, so when you want to see a fellow Tnet user , just look for all those 100’s of trucks doing bang on 50mph, say on the A1 for instance and you’ll know that they post regular on Tnet, and welcome to the forum “SWA” :wink:
As for the speed limits being raised you dont stand a hope :frowning: you just have to make progress {speed }where you think its resonable to do so and hope for the best, or save for a decent bike :open_mouth:

eddie snax:

mojo:
Linconshire in 6mnths.

Me too, my 6 from Lincolnshire took 18 mth’s :blush:
SWA, This subject allways gets some Tnet users telling you to slow down, so when you want to see a fellow Tnet user , just look for all those 100’s of trucks doing bang on 50mph, say on the A1 for instance and you’ll know that they post regular on Tnet, and welcome to the forum “SWA” :wink:
As for the speed limits being raised you dont stand a hope :frowning: you just have to make progress {speed }where you think its resonable to do so and hope for the best, or save for a decent bike :open_mouth:

couldnt agree more eddie… there should be a halo smiley on here :unamused:
time for a change of the limits… but not a cat in hells chance of getting one

steering wheel attendant:
Anyone else noticed that the ques behind HGV’s on single carrageways are getting longer and longer these days.
This is due mostly to the amount ofspeed camera “cash machines” mobile and fixed.
Even seen one van parked 200 yards further down the road solely to catch cars speeding up after the fixed camera!
Most cars drivers DO NOT KNOW that HGVs are only allowed to do 40 mph on single carrageways.
This limit was set 40 odd years ago… time to review?

I see that this is your first post so welcome to Trucknet mate :wink: :wink:

kitkat:
Couldn’t care less about speed limit’s.i get there when i get there,if customer don’t like it then he/she can find another courier.

I’m pretty much of the same opinion. I do whatever speed I think is safe for the conditions. Regardless of whether I’m paid by the hour or not, I like to get where I’m going in as short a time as possible without going mad. I’ve never been one for dawdling along roads ‘admiring the scenery’ to quote others. The sooner I get there and get tipped, the sooner I can be asleep on the bunk :exclamation: :smiley:

Trevor Parry:

mrpj:

Regards
Trev

That would imply they can read… :smiling_imp:

I don’t think a wholesale review is required - BUT certain roads can easily handle faster wagons.

A15 Scunthorpe to Lincoln. Vast stretches of Norwich to Newark via Kings Lynn., for example. A wagon doing 40 on those is often a bigger hazard than anything else as it’s provoking silly overtakes, and often pulling in isn’t an option cos of getting the thing back out, especially if fully laden.

What I’d advocate is safety reviews on some local major arterial routes that are single carriageway undertaken between the police, local authorities, RoSPA and the RHA. If it’s over a certain width, trial a raised limit for 6 months. If there’s no rise in fatalities, then make it permanent on that individual route.

All it would take is a new roadsign and the necessary adjustments to the highway code. Newspapers would do the rest imo.

The sign could simply be the existing national speed limit sign, with a red line going in the opposite diagonal, or changing the white background to yellow. Nice and easy to spot, bold design and can’t be claimed to be something else.

Make sure the new regs are worded that the limit means 50mph for LGV’s, “when safe to do so”.

Then if the auths want to reduce speeds near junctions that already have dubious records, stick one of the old signs up with a side-road warning sign, new sign on the other side and bobs yer uncle.

can’t see that not working, imo.