Van Work

Having recently passed my Cat C I have registered with several agencies (willing to drive smaller vehicles) and applied for various jobs, I keep (as I half expected to) keep running into the “need experience” wall. No big shock, i’m just going to have to do it the long way…

I have put in a request with the supermarket I work for to transfer stores to one which does home deliveries to work as a delivery driver. Its only converted Merc Sprinters, but they aren’t particuarly bothered about experience or age and being already on the books and holding a Class 2 and CPC I should be ahead of most other candidates for work. I figure its an opportunity to get some ‘on the road’ and multi-drop experience, and doing this might encourage the agencies to give me the odd Class 2 job.

What do people think the chances are of this working?

rob22888:
Having recently passed my Cat C

Hi rob22888,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

rob22888:
I figure its an opportunity to get some ‘on the road’ and multi-drop experience, and doing this might encourage the agencies to give me the odd Class 2 job.

I think it’s a great idea mate. :smiley:

IMHO, you’ve got exactly the right attitude cos you’re taking the long view.
There have been several newbies who have come to earth with a bump, because they thought that somebody was simply going to give them a fully loaded truck of the type that they’d only just passed their test to drive. :unamused:

For your style of approach, you deserve the very best of luck, so go for it mate!! :smiley:

rob22888:
Having recently passed my Cat C I have registered with several agencies (willing to drive smaller vehicles) and applied for various jobs, I keep (as I half expected to) keep running into the “need experience” wall. No big shock, i’m just going to have to do it the long way…

I have put in a request with the supermarket I work for to transfer stores to one which does home deliveries to work as a delivery driver. Its only converted Merc Sprinters, but they aren’t particuarly bothered about experience or age and being already on the books and holding a Class 2 and CPC I should be ahead of most other candidates for work. I figure its an opportunity to get some ‘on the road’ and multi-drop experience, and doing this might encourage the agencies to give me the odd Class 2 job.

As dieseldave says, it’s a great idea!

Multi-drop in a van is a great way to get to know all your roads, routes and associated map reading, and the lots of different types of people you’ll be dealing with including storemen/warehousemen, customers, other drivers etc etc.

It’s a great “apprenticeship” when it comes to “on the job driving experience” which you can adapt as you go along, as the sizes of the vehicles you’re driving increase.

All the best!