uk to italy.

i know its a bit late in the day but just been told that on sunday i am shipping out to italy, to pilkingtons in san salvo. as this is the first trip what i need to know is which route is the best to take, will be going dover to dunkirk. advice on tolls especially would be gratefull… :confused:

The Dover- Dunkerque Norfolk Line boat is the best way of crossing the Channel. Boats are brand-new and facilities for drivers are first class.

Your boss will tell you which way to cross the Alps but I’m guessing Mont Blanc tunnel.

Through France you could go via Paris or Reims & Epernay etc, Reims & Epernay would be my choice.

Tolls you can pay cash or card (UTA, DKV, Euroshell etc) and pretty much much of a muchness whatever route you take.

Thanks for the info, have been preety much left on my own on this one as its the first run for me and the firm i work for.

Check out the sticky threads at the top for some more info on Italy. ViaMichelin reckons the quickest route is through Switzerland but a lot will depend on what vehicle, what weight etc as it is expensive to transit Switzerland. It can also be a lot of aggro if it is busy.

Also if you are leaving Sunday, you might want to think about going via Luxembourg as you are allowed to drive on Sunday in Belgium (which you can’t in France) so you could start monday from the Belgian/Luxembourg border.

Luxembourg is cheap for diesel so fill up there. Have you driven abroad before?

or you could ring the phone number on the ITALIAN HELP AT ANYTIME STICKY UBOVE YOUR POST. brian

was thinking of getting to dover parking for the night and getting morning boat, as most of my driving will be used in uk on sunday.been told various routes, one through france and through the de frejus tunnel and other down through germany and through the bremmner pass.have done three runs to holland but this is the biggie!!! :confused:

my route to milan is usually dover calais thro belguim into luxembourg(fuel up )
down thro france to st louis/basle transit swiss to chiasso ( nightmare when busy ) and then down to milan.

eddie2546:
was thinking of getting to dover parking for the night and getting morning boat, as most of my driving will be used in uk on sunday.been told various routes, one through france and through the de frejus tunnel and other down through germany and through the bremmner pass.have done three runs to holland but this is the biggie!!! :confused:

Whatever you do do not go through Germany and Austria as the maut will ■■■■■■■ Pilkingtons accountant. You have 2 real choices, either France through the Frejus or Blanc or as Harry Monk said go Swiss, but I imagine you will be loaded both ways and glass is heavy so that would cost you a fortune too.

Swiss is also not for the inexperienced as they have volumes of books with imaginary problems to catch you out with :stuck_out_tongue:

If you do go Swiss, you will need the original registration document for the unit to get your ID Card.

The Hupac is another possibility if you are using a glass float as the tapered roof will go through the tunnels

You won’t be able to park in Dover, at least not in the port. Parking is notoriously difficult in Kent, your only chance will be in a lay-by or industrial estate off of the A2/ M20. There’s plenty of parking at Dunkerque but I don’t know how safe it is in terms of would-be stowaways.

If going via Dunkerque I would ship out sunday and drive just across the Belgian border and park at Adinkerke or the truckstop at Veurne which are both fairly quiet. That is about 30 minutes from Dunkerque.

You need a vignette for Belgium and Luxembourg, you can buy this on board the ship at the Information desk.

As for the route, then that’s entirely your choice. All the routes suggested have their supporters, and you can even get a night train across Austria but I personally would go via Frejus or Mont Blanc tunnel. IMO Mont Blanc is the better drive. It ought to take you about two-and-a-half days whichever way you go.

Harry Monk:
It ought to take you about two-and-a-half days whichever way you go.

Thats Sunday through to Tuesday.

As has been said, the MAUT in Germany is expensive, so stay in Belgium or France.
There are several routes to Milan.

The simplest one from Dunkerque, via Veurne to park for the night and fuel, is. Onto the A25 to Lille, then onto the A26. Follow your nose down past Riems, Dijon, etc to either Mont Blanc or the Frejus Tunnels.
There’s a big routier at Macon which you can do in 10 hours from Dunkerque via Veurne.
You can also fill up in Belgium at IDS Site Watou near Poperinge, it’s just off the A25 but there didn’t used to be any parking there. It’s only a km off the A25, barely over the border and not on a major route so you don’t need a vignette to go to it.

Another route is through Belgium to Lux, through France towards Nancy, filling up with cheap Lux diesel as you go, and picking up the route above. This route is a bit longer, but you should more than cover the cost of the extra fuel used by getting to Lux nearly empty of fuel and filling right up there. It depends on you having big tanks these days I think.

Yet another option is to go Belgium, Lux as above, then carry on towards Swiss, but cross the border into Germany and get the overnight HUPAC train from Freiburg to Novara. You get your nights break on the train and arrive at Novarra, just in time to get to Milan before the rush starts Tuesday morning…
I’ve used the HUPAC a couple of times or so, you don’t get a good nights sleep on it but the time saved can be very useful. A place will need to be pre-booked I would expect.

There is a link to the HUPAC site in the Sticky post at the top of this forum.

The last trip I did to Italy when I drove for Willy-Bits,I had a delivery in Bergamo,and was told to go via Austria as Swiss was now too expensive at almost one euro per kilometre.

Personally I would go Mont Blanc.

never done europe, so of no use what so ever :laughing: :laughing:

Just wanted to say don’t forget ya camera and post ya pics on here. :laughing: :laughing:

Simon:

Harry Monk:
It ought to take you about two-and-a-half days whichever way you go.

Thats Sunday through to Tuesday.

Yes, but add a day to that because I forgot he’s a day’s drive from Dover to start with. From Calais I reckon you can just about do Ancona in two long shifts and San Salvo is a few hundred km after that (if I’ve got the right one)

Eddie, the most important thing to say is that it’s nothing to worry about. You’ve driven to Holland. Italy is further, but you are used to the “drive on the right” thing and that counts for a lot.

If you meet a driver on the boat who is going to Italy, ask which way he is going and if he seems OK and your timetables coincide, try to travel down with him.

Neil’s got some footage of the Mont Blanc tunnel route here … uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tqwIxyLKU20 which should have you salivating.

Have a good trip!

thanx for all your help and info, have decided to go through belgium,lux and into france through the frejus tunnel and into italy.hope i made the right choice, but hey fun, fun,fun all the way.got my camera so will try and post some pics on here when i get back(hopefully)… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

eddie2546:
thanx for all your help and info, have decided to go through belgium,lux and into france through the frejus tunnel and into italy.hope i made the right choice

Well, it’s a case of “six and two threes” really. That’s as good a way as any.

Post some pics when you get back. Have a good drive!

Eddie, what you driving and what time you planning on getting to Dover?? I am shipping out tomorrow afternoon. Don’t forget … if you ship Norfolk Line to Dunkerque, then you can use the ‘one hour movement’ rule to get off the boat and park up in Belgium ready for the next morning. We use the new truckstop at Veurne a lot. Also, if you use Norfolk Line then you can buy your vignette for Benelux at the booking in booth or now, at the truckstop at Veurne. If you are going to be down in Dover tomorrow afternoon, pm me and send me your mobile number.

TheBear:
Also, if you use Norfolk Line then you can buy your vignette for Benelux at the booking in booth …

Believe they don’t sell vignettes at the booth anymore but you can get them from the Information Desk on the ship.

eddie2546 If you can’t make your mind up after all this info ,I will come & drive it for you…? :laughing:

Are these the first loads going to San Salvo since the fire? If so it might be a job opening :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

TheBear:
Also, if you use Norfolk Line then you can buy your vignette for Benelux at the booking in booth …

Believe they don’t sell vignettes at the booth anymore but you can get them from the Information Desk on the ship.

Harry, I bought it there only last week using Eurotraffic… thats why I said it, mate

Sorry, mate, also just seen you have already said everything I did … didn’t read all the posts lol