UCC Liverpool

Hello All,
Just wondered if any of the Liverpool drivers ever look in on this site as we used to do a change over at Castle Brom (before they put in the Spaghetti Junction) One driver always springs to mind, George Spollin (hope the spelling is right ) A comedian always and if any one knows if he is still about,tell him all the best from the London end. The depot was at Kirkby, on the East Lancs road. They were characters, the same as we had at Poplar.Where are they now? I hope they are still around as they were never miserable. More later, and I never overtook a Standerwick bus.I’d have got a medal if I did. Regards to all, 900X20.

Wasn’t there a UCC depot in Southampton as well ? Before my time I know but I seem to remember some of the old drivers remenising about those early days! Jumbo Lewis and Jim Cokley and fitter Malcolm Gilham spring to my mind for some reason! Anyone out thre know if this is correct?

Regards Pat

Spot on again Pat. Yes UCC had a depot in Southampton and I can close my eyes and still see those green and white trucks now with the big UCC on the side ( Union Cartage Company). They were however in Southampton, taken over by Molo Transport.

I did a few jobs for Mike Watson( Sherrelle) Pulling out of Molo with an old UCC trailer Mostly Bannanas Too many ns. Nice job.Plenty sleep. :laughing:

:smiley: Southampton Depot did exist. Sid was the main man and we used to go down there from Poplar and work out of the depot. When on nights,we used to do a change over and it meant going into the docks to get the key to the depot. Then,drop the trailer we took down and get under the trailer to bring home. It’s a while ago but it was good as there was hardly any traffic in those days and we all used the old road as the M3 etc. was just an idea. we stopped at the top of Kempshot Hill for tea and grub. Wonder if it’s still there. :unamused: More later, as it comes to mind, live for ever, 900X20.

900X20:
:smiley: Southampton Depot did exist. Sid was the main man and we used to go down there from Poplar and work out of the depot. When on nights,we used to do a change over and it meant going into the docks to get the key to the depot. Then,drop the trailer we took down and get under the trailer to bring home. It’s a while ago but it was good as there was hardly any traffic in those days and we all used the old road as the M3 etc. was just an idea. we stopped at the top of Kempshot Hill for tea and grub. Wonder if it’s still there. :unamused: More later, as it comes to mind, live for ever, 900X20.

The cafe at the top of KempshotHill was called the Blue Hut.Just a bit of useless information. :laughing:

Spot on Charlie The Blue Hut. Should have been called The Nissen Hut because thats what it was. Remember the old corrugated tin roof ?
And back then you also had The Towers at the bottom of Kemshott hill.
In those days there were so many cafes on that road that if you stopped at every one , it would take you a month to get from Southampton to London !