T'wud na pull th'skin of a rice puddin! - The Gutless Wonder

Suedehead:
The title of the thread got me wondering how many phrases there are to describe a “gutless wonder”?
My favourite is “it wouldnt pull a greasy stick out of a dogs arse” :laughing:

MAN 232 “nailed to the road”

Hi.
Had a Merc…Called it “Drag n Fly” Up and down hills,another expression is “Belly t’ Ground”
hulltramper

The bane of my life, 1976 till 1984 pedaling a 1418 merc at 32tonnes. The whole world was uphill!! I finally got rid of it by leaving the job. After I left it lasted six weeks and blew up. Bloody good riddance. Regards Kev.

In the past, a Bedford TK furniture lorry with a long final drive, a Turner 5-speed and a whacking great luton body. It would lose 15mph if someone f@rted in the next county. Bedford TM with the non-turbo 500 - slower than a wet Wednesday in Frinton. Anything Japanese (I drove most of them in the 80s/90s), but especially a 1980 Isuzu JCR 500 with a 2-speed axle stuck in high - the only reason I didn’t get overtaken by a glacier is that Australia hasn’t got any. Currently - Hino 500 series (GH), so slow it could have its own geological epoch.

Renault 290 GT … lol at GT

Air cooled Maggy Deutz, ye gods, up the hill at Markham Moor from the A1 at Newark you couldn’t change down fast enough, easiest way was to pop it into No.1 at the bottom and leave it to struggle by itself. Terrible thing

foden fg 8 wheeler , 6lw engine and a 4 speed box with super low . 32 mph flat out and first gear if the road sloped upwards . i used to get embarrassed going over standedge with a huge queue behind . thank god i only drove it for a month while the regular driver was off sick !

These things…

bloody hell chris are you trying to get harry gill going again ■■

rigsby:
bloody hell chris are you trying to get harry gill going again ■■

:laughing:
It will get him revved up when he reads it that’s for sure.

Daf 75 300 unit pulling a tri bulk tipper running at 38 ton . Cracking payload ,over 26 ton but would not pull a robber off your granny

As a operator Renault very un-manager 340 @44t or GT290 I must have bought the L version

As a driver 1975 Bedford TM V6 or a 1418 Merc @ 32 ish t

A Scania 144 530 I think they got the badges fitted the wrong way wrong around I had a E Series ERF E16 with a 320 Gardner that would pull an house down

In the West Country we used to say;

‘Wouldn’t pull a Black Man off your Granny’

You’re probably not allowed to say that anymore so let me apologize in advance to any offended black men or disappointed grannies.

David

Leyland Reiver, these were well known for not having a lot of power but what else could frugal tipper operators get 17 tonne payload on

gazsa401:
A Scania 144 530 I think they got the badges fitted the wrong way wrong around I had a E Series ERF E16 with a 320 Gardner that would pull an house down

I had a D reg Foden with a 320 Gardner and that was the same it just kept pulling a great motor

I used to take groupage to Nurenberg Germany with this 420 tag axle, it never had more than 6-7 ton in it, it was the worst motor ive ever driven by far, the rice puddin phrase was invented for this motor. The Cats Back on the A3 in Germany killed it, it couldnt go up it coming home at more than 25mph with a 4ton load, a total bag of ■■■■■. I would never dare going up Jubilee Way when i got off the boat, cos it would never get anywhere near the top. It was about 2 or 3 yrs old when i got it.

8-wheeler ERF B series bulk tipper, admittedly with a fuel pump fault that my employer was too mean to get sorted. After joining the M1 it took seventeen minutes to get up to it’s top speed of 47mph.

Only one trip!

ramone:

gazsa401:

I had a D reg Foden with a 320 Gardner and that was the same it just kept pulling a great motor

We used load glass bottles out of Rexam glass at Barnsley and deliver them to Carlsberg at Northampton I used to leave my mate for dust with his Volvo FH 12 380 on Markfield Bank on the M1 at Leicester my ERF had a twin splitter fitted I used drop half a gear and fly by she’d climb up there at 50mph with 24 and half tonnes of glass on I wish I’d still got her now good days

Hiya i think Merc took the trophy for been the most usless motor on hills… we need to go back a few years before
the M40 was opened. you new lads will never know what is was like going from say Stoke to Southampton.
there was a trail of lorries from Stonebride island to Kidlington, it was a disaster queuing through warick
and Banbury.Saying that if you knew their was a Merceedes 1418 infront somewhere you’d stop at a cafe
because you knew thats what the problem was. all this 150 gardner or Scania 80 was a myth they was slow
but none was as bad as the 1418 followd by the Renault GT 290/340. then the Fiat 190.■■(70) their was a
firm that run plaster board from Gotham, they traveled down the M1.(BFI haulage) that had the Fiat’s god
was they slow,I had a Foden 180 Gardner and it flew past the Fiats. then past the gt290’s.

John