Two breakdowns in two nights!

well people last shifts i have done something has gone wrong :blush: :imp: , friday night on way to silver spring and red airline fails and lorry comes to stanstill 10 ft in front of roundabout causing a bit of havoc with some motorists yelling obscenities at me as they passā€¦none brave enough to park up and come tell me face to face mind you :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

then sunday night coming out of daventry the tailift dropped completely to the floor on a bend :exclamation: :exclamation: i get out to investigate and to see if i could get the lift up and move to a safer place and the police turn up :blush: :blush: with an officer barely out of college and very insistent he was going to call recovery company out to me, i explained i was new to it all and another driver was coming along the same road in other direction and i had been in touch with him and he would be able to patch me up so i could get on my way, but copper werenā€™t having none of it.

in the end recovery truck came out and done exactly what our other driver had said he was going to do when he got there. so all in all the first three weeks have been interesting to say the least, the breakdowns and all the different senarios i have been in it has all been a bit of a baptisim of fire ā€¦but hey i am still here and lovin the job more everyday :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Sounds like your having a baptism of fire Margate. Things happen in threeā€™s though donā€™ they? :laughing: :wink:

if you dont like the job just leave dont wreck the fleet till they sack you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not at all neilā€¦i am lovin every ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  minute of itā€¦it is just the best thing i have ever decided to do mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lib have you done any night work for walkers? thought i saw you on m1 the other night :confused: :confused:

Keep going MM it getā€™s even better than that, once coming South on the A74 just before the W/bridge at Beatock, there was a pot hole or something like that in the road, off shot the red line and i stopped in a puff of smoke, luckily the police car behind me stopped as well :unamused:, didā€™nt get done but it was an interesting chat :laughing:

Where abouts and what time? You realise I donā€™t wear top hat and tails when Iā€™m driving? :laughing:

just out on the road and causing trouble already :laughing: :laughing: i donā€™t know some people :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: put it down to experiance mate,it happens to the best of us,yes it has happened to me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: keep up the good work and it gets better trust me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Every time I drive a scania it diesā€¦

Had one break down on me on a roundabout blocking a slip road to the A737 Dual Carrageway! Two coppers turned up and told me to get it shifted, well the mechanic was on his way so would be there in 1 - 10 hours time! and there was nothing I could do apart from just sit and read the paper. The Traffics where not happy when I turned away and started doing the crossword and they left to get a tow rope from the Land Rover and hooked it up to the bus and pulled me out the way. Just as they where giving me the third digree another traffic car turned up to check everything was all right and I reconised the driver. Someone I used to work with and everything was forgotten - much to the annoyance of the traffics in the Land Rover who left in a bad mood!

Just what are you expected to do to get a broken truck/bus shifted for the police? Push it or pull it?

Hard luck mate!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am sure it wont be the last time it happens!
Its great fun isnt it when you are blocking the road and unable to do anything about it?
If you can keep a smile on your face and you have cracked it! :smiley: Sod all you can do so you might as well enjoy the experience!

Good to hear from you, MM!!

I was beginning to get worried about youā€¦ you been very quiet :slight_smile:

Andyroo:
Just what are you expected to do to get a broken truck/bus shifted for the police? Push it or pull it?
[/quote

My response would be ā€œYou push, Iā€™ll steer!!ā€ :open_mouth: ]

MM just dont do the silly thing i done when i first started with all and sundrty flashing me across the M62 peeing horns , gesturing etc etc.

So i eventually pulled over to see what the problem was and i had left the back door open :blush: :blush: :blush: .

I work in a traffic office now and i find it hard to believe why they dont put spare suzies in every truck it costs about Ā£30 for a suzie and about Ā£120 for a guy to come and fit it, so thats 4 spare suzies for each truck it makes sense to me but apparently not to management.

(THE prices i have mentioned are roughly what i can remember and i,m sure as someone will tell me not exact).

danielwilkie:
The Traffics were not happy when I turned away and started doing the crosswordā€¦

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: Thatā€™s what I like to hear :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley:

i must admit the first time i broke down on the friday night just in front of the roundabout i did get a bit flustered, but then i calmed down and thought sod it what can i doā– ā– ? nothing at all!!! so just sat there and chilled out,the only thing that did annoy me was the few motorists that drove by and yelled abuse at me, but like i said they werenā€™t brave enough to pull over and say it to my face and just showed me what ignorant [zb] car drivers really are :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

yeah i have been fine bearā€¦just nightshift work donā€™t agree with me so i have been absoulutely knackered when i get in, just wanna spend an hour with the wife and kids and go to bed. but i start on days as of thursday working away 4 days a week out of daventry, so you should hear alot from more from me mate :wink: GOD i have missed this place!!! i can tell yaā€¦and within the next few weeks or so should be buying a laptop and gettin hooked up to net via my mobile phone so i will be able to keep in touch on a daily basis too!!

i know i will breakdown again at some point, but now i will just sit back make a cup of coffee and read the paper :wink: :laughing:

i know you donā€™t where the suit lib pmslā€¦it was last thursday night or wednesday night bout 12.30 ish, by jtn 13 on m1you were heading southbound at the time if it was you mate :laughing:

Just to show how stupid the Police can be.

A bus had broken down in the outside lane of the dual carriageway near home and the police were guiding traffic around it. I was coming home in my lorry and as i was carrying a straight towing bar, I asked if they wanted me to tow it off the road to the layby about 200 yards away. (A job which would have taken about two minutes)

The police said very bluntly that they did not require my help as the bus company were sending their own recovery vehicle.

I drove past about half an hour later in the car and the bus was still there creating havoc.

Never rely on a bus company getting out quick to fix a bus! Ive seen me sitting since 1pm until 7pm waiting on them coming out to fix it to be told it needs towing in. At 8pm another mechanic turned up and managed to get it going!

All the mechanics in my old place of work where just pretend mechanics, No one knew anything - my dad who does not drive could fix a bus better than they could!

P.S MM - Can I do the crossword when your done with the paper? lol

you can indeed danielā€¦i wouldnā€™t be able to do it according to the public i am just an uneducated non skilled lorry driverā€¦would barely be able to write my own name let alone do a crossword :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jammymutt:
MM just dont do the silly thing i done when i first started with all and sundrty flashing me across the M62 peeing horns , gesturing etc etc.

So i eventually pulled over to see what the problem was and i had left the back door open :blush: :blush: :blush: .

I work in a traffic office now and i find it hard to believe why they dont put spare suzies in every truck it costs about Ā£30 for a suzie and about Ā£120 for a guy to come and fit it, so thats 4 spare suzies for each truck it makes sense to me but apparently not to management.

(THE prices i have mentioned are roughly what i can remember and i,m sure as someone will tell me not exact).

hmmmmmmmmm the door thing sounds familar :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
had the numerous blow outs, loads of smoke pouring off the dead tyre, lucky for me i had got on the m25 at that point another 30 seconds and i would have been, was on the r/b on the A10 when the tyre gave out :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
had a wheel lug sheer off on an old 0813 cargo with 4 speed box so luckly not going very fast, blowout on the f/o/s tyre on m25, and f/n/s tyre on the a14 same truck a week apart. the rozzers turned up for the a14 job usual clown in blue
ā€œyou cant stop here drive you will have to move itā€
so i reply " cant officer ive got a flat and ats are on there way"
ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  replys " i dont care move it or i will nick you"
" ats depot is only 5 mins away and it will only take 10 mins to sort" says i
" ok then get it inside the white line and you can stay as long as you like"
before the coppers turned up i had got a load of cones and coned back for about 100yds or so and still this was dangerousā– ā– ?
ats turn up and it was the depot gofor who had come out didnt know his arse from his elbow and had to call other fitter out who got it sorted in 10mins flat pardon the pun :unamused: :unamused:
imagine the seen, broken down 7.5t cargo, 2 ats vans, police range rover all stopped on the a14 just before spitals huntingdon slip and people say this job is boringā– ā– ? nah gets more interesting by the day :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
chris