appoligies

to anyone who was stuck behind me on the a1 northbound south of grantham yesterday morning, don’t think if i’d run the full lengh of the a1 i could’ve found a worst place to break down! :blush:
still not clear what the problem was, truck had been running fine all week then half way up that hill it just died as if it had run out of fuel, but plenty in it. where i was i had no option but to call the police and then stand down the road to warn the oncoming traffic, then of coarse the mahanics had to come through the tail back to get to me :cry:
plenty of diesel at the pump but the thing just wouldn’t fire up, air had dropped so no chance of rolling it off the road, a nightmare!
police eventually lost patience and said we’d have to get it towed off, decided to give it one last go as the recovery wagon was at least an hour away (with the traffic) and the chuffin thing kicks up :open_mouth:
ran it to the next layby to see what would happen and it ran fine :confused:
then drove it back to sheff without a problem, now in the garage for a strip down of the fuel system and possibly a new lift pump.
like us all, been stuck in traffic like that many times and know how frustrating it is, just sods law that if your gona breakdown, it’s gona be on a road with no hard shoulder, going uphill and on a friday.

bit of tom ■■■ in the lift pump

We all have bad days with vehicles.

I remember years ago breaking down in a transit van halfway up some mountinous pass in North Wales just before a hairpin bend. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: It had not long come back from the garage and something had slipped in the clutch casing…

Do you know how difficult it is to rig up a flatbed to recover on a 20 percent slope? It didn’t work, I got dragged off by a Police Range Rover :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Check the stack pipe, it could be leaves, or anything

Anything for a bit of overtime :laughing:

i had an hire unit that kept losing power and would then die like it was running out of fuel
fire it up again and she would be fine till
when they stripped it down all the gubbins were fine
we had it back
it did t again
so they restriped it still no probs plenty pressure
in the end it turned out to be a plastic bag (like youd put your sarnies in) in the tank
it would float around harmlessy till the fuel pick up got it blockking most of the pressure .unit dies no suckion bag floatted off till the next time

Broke down with an old Henschell wagon & drag in a German city at rush hour across the main tram lines . It was the compressor. In those days you fixed it yourself. An angry old German guy got out of one of the trams that had come to halt & whacked the truck with his walking stick. The trams were just opening their doors & letting off the passengers who all had something to say to me while I was in amongst the blood & guts… :laughing:

The best one is when you break down and some do do of a traffic warden comes along and insists that you have to move it oblivious of you telling him its not possible without a b/down truck.

regards dave

bagpuss:
iin the end it turned out to be a plastic bag (like youd put your sarnies in) in the tank
it would float around harmlessy till the fuel pick up got it blockking most of the pressure .unit dies no suckion bag floatted off till the next time

A favourite sabotage job. As you live in Yorkshire you could check a bit further up the road :unamused:

At a company I worked at there was a lad who in yorkshire speak was a gobshyte and he had his truck sabotaged like this, the thing was the bloke who did it had already written his name and truck registration on the delivery notes found in the filter :stuck_out_tongue:

Paul is this the new volvo that you have just got or was it the trusty ERF.

i hate to say it but it was the volvo :blush:
i’m not a happy soldier to be honest, the lads in the garage have blown the system out and the amount of crap that was in it, it’s hard to see how it was running at all but i’ve no problem with that, what i’ve got a problem with, is the fact that the stack in the tank has had two inches lopped off the bottom so obviously this has been an ongoing problem, now why didn’t the fella who sold me the wagon tell me this when i percifically asked him if there was anything i should know about? i’ve known the bloke a long time, i was getting it at the right money and i knew i might well have to spend a few bob on it, so it wouldn’t have stopped me buying it but would’ve saved me a lot of grief as obviously i’d have got it sorted before i put it on the road, after all nobody expects a perfect wagon for 6k!
having said that, took the old ERF into the auctions today and whoever ends up buying it is gona get an extremely good motor for not a lot of money :cry:

paulb glad that you got it all sorted out

but very sorry to heat that,the previous

owner was such a lowlife, all the best

paulb and may you have a long long time

between vists to the workshop as regards repairs,