Trucks and mobile phones

i still use mine, some drivers are able to multi task, some arnt

I have been known to use mine too (firing squad at dawn) but I like to think I have the sense to hold it against my left ear while I use it. We all know it’s wrong, but why invite trouble?

miketdt:
Last year just outside Exeter on the A30 an agency driver, driving a supermarket lorry was texting when he killed a young tractor driver. I bet he wished he had turned it off, he’s now doing 7 years at HMP is it worth it?

bulmers driver was telling me yesterday that one of their drivers was in huddersfield and was texting and an armed response unit was passing him saw he was texting and shouted at him to stop and pull over :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: in shock the driver dropped the phone into his footwell and bent down to pick it up and swerved into the armed response vehicle and write it off and out jumped 2 very angry armed officers. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

ady1:
i still use mine, some drivers are able to multi task, some arnt

Yet to meet one who can keep the same level of concentration when they are on the phone (hands free or hand held) to the same level as when they are not :exclamation:

cant see how talking on the fone is any different to talking to a car full of people??

next thing the government will stop that as well, then another few years the radios will be banned cos people will be concentrating more on terry wogan than the road.

i always drive with 1 hand on the wheel and 1 on the gearstick, wether on the motorway or roundabouts or country lanes. i have 2 feet for clutches and go pedals just like i have 2 hands for the wheel and changing gear, and if my left hand is free then so be it.

if i feel comfortable in my cab and in control, then why not put my fone to my head? my hand would only be scratting my arse or picking my nose otherwise??

id rather take the £60 fine and points than have a homing beacon flashing on the side of my head, probably use my free hand to bugger about with that as it irritates me while im driving.

but thats just my opinion and suppose best apologise to anyone who’s offended cos im in a ratty mood anyway :angry:

tashlad666:
cant see how talking on the fone is any different to talking to a car full of people??

next thing the government will stop that as well, then another few years the radios will be banned cos people will be concentrating more on terry wogan than the road.

i always drive with 1 hand on the wheel and 1 on the gearstick, wether on the motorway or roundabouts or country lanes. i have 2 feet for clutches and go pedals just like i have 2 hands for the wheel and changing gear, and if my left hand is free then so be it.

if i feel comfortable in my cab and in control, then why not put my fone to my head? my hand would only be scratting my arse or picking my nose otherwise??

id rather take the £60 fine and points than have a homing beacon flashing on the side of my head, probably use my free hand to bugger about with that as it irritates me while im driving.

but thats just my opinion and suppose best apologise to anyone who’s offended cos im in a ratty mood anyway :angry:

Because it doesn’t matter how good you think you are, there will be a loss of concentration and you will either slow down, wander over a white line or miss a gear. Dont argue that you will not because you can see it happen15 times an hour on any motorway in any country in the world.

Luckily, most of us do not wipe out a complete family as we talk crap on the mobile.

But i dont advocate a complete ban on a mobile in a cab. I too can scratch my arse and pick my nose while driving. I can also pick up my phone, take a picture without looking at a button, aiming it or running over a HATO

tashlad666:

hi 60 quid fine plus 3 points but dont get court to much or there will send you to the courts as hgv drivers could be fine upto £2500 in court

This is an offence under Section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and carries the maximum penalty up to £1,000 for car drivers (£2,500 for HGV and passenger vehicles carrying over 8 passengers) and 3 penalty points.

On 27th February 2007, the minimum penalty for holding a mobile phone while driving was increased from a £30 fixed penalty fine to a £60 fine and 3 penalty points on your licence.

[/quote]

delboytwo:

tashlad666:

hi 60 quid fine plus 3 points but dont get court to much or there will send you to the courts as hgv drivers could be fine upto £2500 in court

This is an offence under Section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and carries the maximum penalty up to £1,000 for car drivers (£2,500 for HGV and passenger vehicles carrying over 8 passengers) and 3 penalty points.

On 27th February 2007, the minimum penalty for holding a mobile phone while driving was increased from a £30 fixed penalty fine to a £60 fine and 3 penalty points on your licence.

You forgot the trip up to the TC too for a further couple of weeks ban :wink:

Wheel Nut:

delboytwo:

tashlad666:

You forgot the trip up to the TC too for a further couple of weeks ban :wink:

tashlad666 everyones been willing to point out the potential penelties to you, maybe youll heed the advice. but tbh Im happy for you to continue driving/phoning, so long as you don`t injure or kill someone in the mean time, as it will only be a matter of time before you caught using your phone, resulting in 1 less (not so) profesional :unamused: driver out there.
This should leave room in the job market for someone more willing to obay the law

Prefer to stick to a landline myself.

If my company wants to phone me when I’m out on the road, they should provide a cab phone.

No one else phones me, because I have no friends :cry: