Hands Free Phone Kit

Anyone using a Bluetooth hands free phone kit? If so, which would be best for moving from truck to truck? I’ve been using car phones for 25 years but appreciate that making any calls from a vehicle is now becoming less socially and morally acceptable.

My iPhone has voice controlled dial out etc., but even so, should we even have the things switched on in the cab? I’d appreciate some thoughts on using phones in HGVs.

Get a parrot hands free kit

parrot.com/uk/car-kits#discover-car-kits

Supertooth buddy is what I use, works well enough in most vehicles and battery lasts a decent time. Google it around 35 quid although Tesco garages are selling the exact same looking device for 19.99 except it doesn’t say Supertooth buddy on it. I imagine it’s exactly the same unit made in the same factory.

very.co.uk/supertooth-buddy- … -2EALw_wcB supertooth buddy at Very.

Thanks for these… gives me a place to start

Autoporto:
Anyone using a Bluetooth hands free phone kit? If so, which would be best for moving from truck to truck? I’ve been using car phones for 25 years but appreciate that making any calls from a vehicle is now becoming less socially and morally acceptable.

My iPhone has voice controlled dial out etc., but even so, should we even have the things switched on in the cab? I’d appreciate some thoughts on using phones in HGVs.

Current studies show that talking on the phone uses the part of your brain you use for driving, and they suggest when talking on the phone as opposed to a passenger or listening to the radio you visualise the person you are talking to which is done by the part of your brain you use for driving. That’s the basics as I understand it. They suggest at the moment you only take necessary calls at the wheel of any vehicle and keep them as short as possible.

So whilst using Bluetooth it legal should be involved in a bad accident like the minibus one the other weekend and you were talking to your mate or a work colleague for an hour or two expect them to make a big deal out of it and say it was a contributory factor. So general the safest rule of thumb is use only bluetooth and keeps calls to a minimum and absolute minimum in length spent on the phone.

So now were unable to keep in touch with families and Freinds whilst being away all week?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alix776:
So now were unable to keep in touch with families and Freinds whilst being away all week?

I don’t think Simon is saying that Alix!

Just sensible advice.

I bought a PE10 from Toddington southbound services but, as anything stuck in your ear is illegal in France, backed it up with an Avantree which connects to your phone and plays through your radio. Both are good, for different purposes.

The PE10 has a battery which needs recharging every so often but the Avantree I keep plugged in all the time in the car. It is supposed to have 40 hours but switches itself off when it feels like it if not on constant charge.

Butcher:

alix776:

I don’t think Simon is saying that Alix!

Just sensible advice.

Exactly. I am just stating what I understand they have to say on the subject, due to the latest studies. Whether we agree or not make little difference. But we know full well if they want to find a reason to say we were at fault they will. Our company has a policy of not answering a phone while we are driving at all, instead to find a suite place to stop and ring them back. In fact they don’t even know the numbers of the phones they supply for the Microlise Smartpod.

Can’t go wrong with parrot, clip to your vent and fully transferable in seconds to any vehicle.

Why not use the fitted kit if you truck comes with it.

Spardo:
I bought a PE10 from Toddington southbound services but, as anything stuck in your ear is illegal in France, backed it up with an Avantree which connects to your phone and plays through your radio. Both are good, for different purposes.

The PE10 has a battery which needs recharging every so often but the Avantree I keep plugged in all the time in the car. It is supposed to have 40 hours but switches itself off when it feels like it if not on constant charge.

Which model Avantree please spardo , I want a decent hands free I can move from wagon to wagon.
Jim

JFC999:

Spardo:

Which model Avantree please spardo , I want a decent hands free I can move from wagon to wagon.
Jim

This is what I got Jim, you will need a wagon/car with a bluetooth enabled radio for it to work I think. I can recommend it but there are few glitches to be aware of.

As I said, the promised 40 hour battery life didn’t materialise so I keep it plugged in to a car socket all the time.

It has a clip bracket to clip it onto the sunvisor but no good for me as I have that down all the time so it fits in a convenient pocket on the dash. Better as it turns out.

Also you have to remember to switch it off if you are within range (about 10 metres) but having your phone with you. This is because if I am not in the vehicle I can answer the phone but can’t hear anyone, it is still playing through the radio!

Lastly, it reacts to a slammed door when off and switches on, intentionally. OK unless I have the phone with me within 10 metres!

Despite all that I am very pleased with it after one year and can recommend it.

amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Bluet … th+car+kit

Cheers spardo, looks good, price not bad but I’m not sure if radios in '57 plate Volvo is Bluetooth.
It’s got to have Bluetooth symbol on radio I think ?
Jim

JFC999:
Cheers spardo, looks good, price not bad but I’m not sure if radios in '57 plate Volvo is Bluetooth.
Jim

I don’t know Jim. If you like I’ll check it out tomorrow and see if it works without the radio. I know the speaker in it can be heard, because I often travel with the radio off and can hear a call coming in, but whether it is loud enough, and whether the micro works too I’m not sure.

If you think that it might not work in all your vehicles, and if it is not illegal in UK, then try and find the PE 10. Unfortunately I can’t find it on the web. I bought from a shop in the southbound Toddington services.

It is just a thing that you clip in your ear and it mates with your phone. When you get a call you press it and you hear it privately and talk back to it publicly. Can get you some funny glances though. Only rechargeable by usb though, but it lasts a long time.

It is very good and didn’t cost much, but I knew when I bought it that I couldn’t use it in France when driving as they had just brought in a law banning them. Banned for cyclists too, but I still see loads of them obliviously trying to chuck themselves under my wheels while listening to their favourite sounds. A bit like the personal breathelysers, the gendarmes seem to take no notice. :unamused:

JFC999:
Jim

Correct.

5 of us bought these and they are the best value you can get. The quality and noise reduction on them is amazing and people say its better quality than the bluetooth truck Stereo and my car buikt in handsfree.

Think its about 14 hours talk time you get but ive spent a week using it for 5 shifts and never had to charge it. But an hour on charge and its full again. Brilliant headset.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B010T290XG/ref=mp_s_a_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1504376277&sr=8-53&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+headsets

EDIT: don’t think that was the seller we got ours from but you should be able to find it.

That’s very cheap, though of 2 buyers, one thought it was the bees’ knees, like you, but the other thought it was crap. Could have been a Friday night one I suppose.

Fine for Jim I think, but for anyone wanting to use it in France, it is not legal.

alix776:

You cam phone them when you stop for a break or maybe if unloading is going to take a while if the site permits it. We didn’t have these ■■■■■■■ pieces of ■■■■ when I started . They’re the devils’ work!