Mobile phones

My pet irritation is people using a handheld mobile phone while driving as it is I am sure to most people. On my many trips to London I often get stuck behind cars driving slowly and erratically and 95 percent of the time its because he/she (yes females as well) are chatting on a handheld mobile phone. I’ve pulled up alongside and gestured with the phone sign and shook my head. They’ve usually stuck 2 fingers at me and drove off. Thats car drivers for you. :frowning: Then yesterday I got stuck behind a rigid lorry. Well the lights went green and he didnt move off, and when he did he was only doing 20 mph down the road So I managed eventually to get alongside him in the bus lane where he was indeed using a handheld mobile phone. I pointed this out but unlike ignorant pigheaded car drivers, he actually ended his call, so hats off to him! He realised he was at fault and got off the phone. A professional driver! :smiley:

no excuse for it. bluetooth headsets are not that expensive and there are a variety of them around now. i dont have one yet but i dont answer my phone while driving either

bluetooth headsets are not that expensive and there are a variety of them around now

You’re quite correct.I have one that I bought from CD Wow,and while it’s not the lightest one around,it does the job.

If you want to know more,then click on the link below.As they come from Hong Kong,it takes,on average,5 working days to arrive,but at the price stated,including postage,you can’t go wrong.

Also,if you look for a discount code,within the site,you can get an extra £1 off it,making it possibly the cheapest Bluetooth around.

Ken.

www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results_4 … code=14338

Eventually I have thought about getting a new mobile
phone with a bluetooth headset and just wondered
how safe those bluetooth headsets are health wise :question: .

Well Convoy, it’s like this; you can believe all the scaremongers or you can try and make an objective assessment.
If you use a ‘connected’ headset, ie a wire from phone to earpiece/mic, then that wire is supposed to act like an ariel, and be as harmful, or more so that holding the phone next to your head. If you use a Bluetooth device, it has a very limited range, around 10 metres in ideal situation, which suggests that emmissions are no where near as high as from phone itself.
If you do not want to wear a headset, and I find mine damned uncomfortable, as I also wear spectacles, you can get a bluetooth device that clips to sunvisor and contains mic and speaker. If I was to do it all again, I would go that route. This avoids all the radiation arguments as well. :confused: :confused: :confused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

there is also the advantage of bluetooth working with all (compatible) phones. with a cable earpiece, you have to stick to the same manufacturer due to the connector being a specific type. a bluetooth device can be linked wirelessly to any handset

daveb0789:
I got stuck behind a rigid lorry. Well the lights went green and he didnt move off, and when he did he was only doing 20 mph down the road So I managed eventually to get alongside him in the bus lane where he was indeed using a handheld mobile phone. I pointed this out but unlike ignorant pigheaded car drivers, he actually ended his call, so hats off to him! He realised he was at fault and got off the phone. A professional driver! :smiley:

so while he was breaking the law using a phone, you was too by using the bus lane!!Not a professional driver

Coming up the M1 the other day just before the road works at Watford I looked in my mirrors & saw this white Stralis belting up in the centre lane. These road works have a 40mph limit on them, I was doing 40 & he just shot by me & everybody else anyway a bit further up the road I overtook him & YES he was on the phone doing about 50mph

you can still keep your speed up useing the phone … one hand on the phone one hand on the cruise control and two knees on the steering wheel

:unamused: :wink:

ajdavis64:
so while he was breaking the law using a phone, you was too by using the bus lane!!Not a professional driver

read his profile :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That bluetooth device that clips to sunvisor
sounds good dwjinuk as I also wear spectacles
to.

i got mine with my phone ( free) retail price is between 65-75 quid.but u can get cheeper.convoy i wear glasses as well m8 and the one i got is ok and does not affect the wearing of ur glasses.i saw a woman on M8 mobile in one hand and lipstick in other and steering with knees.never police around at these times is there :question: :wink:

You’re allowed to use certain bus lanes at certain times. Surely a proffesional driver would know that. Had to use them on my test.

knight is absolutely right. there should be a sign at the beginning of the bus lane stating the hours of effect. come on guys, dont you buy the highway code when it is revised? :laughing:

I also wear specs and have the £40 or so bluetooth Nokia headset. So light and comfortable, you don’t know it’s their until it goes off in your ear and frightens the [zb] out of you :unamused:. Would everyone go and pick their dummy’s up please - they’re making the place look untidy :laughing:.

As an aside, how many people actually use their own kit for work purposes - isn’t it about time your gaffer started providing this sort of thing if they want to talk to you on the road? If they don’t then switch the 'phone off 'till you stop.

Liberace:
As an aside, how many people actually use their own kit for work purposes - isn’t it about time your gaffer started providing this sort of thing if they want to talk to you on the road? If they don’t then switch the 'phone off 'till you stop.

Yep! gotta agree with this, after all its your livelyhood at stake, not theirs.

what kit do you have liberace? i only use nokia phones so it makes sense to use their accessories too. what is your independant opinion on their kit?

i use my phone for work but its better to do that than have a bagful of bits and pieces that i dont need to carry around

scanny77:
what kit do you have liberace? i only use nokia phones so it makes sense to use their accessories too. what is your independant opinion on their kit?

i use my phone for work but its better to do that than have a bagful of bits and pieces that i dont need to carry around

I have a Nokia 7610 'phone on an Orange contract. Bought it when it first came out, but I liked it as it looked fairly sturdy, it’s not too small (my sausage fingers don’t press two keys at once). It has outer cases, so if you break the screen by dropping it out of your pocket say, then you just buy a new screen cover and clip it into place. Voice quality and signal I would term as good and am very happy with it. You can have a look at the headset here.

Headset sounds a bit tinny, but don’t they all :unamused: - 'phone is fine. Comes with a verity of earpiece sizes to fit all ears. Doesn’t sit in the ear either (I hate that), but on it if you see what I mean. Comfortable enough for a 13 hour shift, also with Voice activated bluetooth dialing and all the toys you’d need. You are also able to add satellite navigation for around £200-00 (I think). It means you can’t use the bluetooth function (as far as I’m aware), so I don’t see the point. (I’ll use my Tom Tom Go thanks.

Incidentally, orange contract give you calls to 0800 no’s free, so you can sign up to a service such as mobile overide, giving calls at daytime landline rates to landlines on your mobile. Use the free munites to mobile 'phones and your quids in. Very happy with both 'phone and earpiece.

Cheers

Ian/

Thanks Quinny, just been on to WOW and ordered one bluetooth headset.

im on O2 250 so i get 250 minutes anytime any number every month but i am overdue an upgrade. i have a 6600 but i have my eye on the 6670 now. i am guessing it will cost around £100 to upgrade and it seems to have all the features that i could possibly want to play with. that is what i use a mobile for mainly. it does come in handy for pictures though. who needs a digital camera when i can mms a picture from my phone to my email address so i can print it or use it as an avatar? :laughing:

i do want a bluetooth headset though. i am getting more involved with projects and it would be handy to be able to use the phone at work or in the car when necessary ie incoming calls