Trucking and ego inflation

Happy foot down Friday. Hope everybody made it back to the yard in time.

Im interested to know, has trucking made you a more egotistical person? Have you noticed that confidence in other areas of your life has increased after doing the job that you now do? Not just in your driving abilities but other aspects of your life too? Have you even got cocky and complacent? I think its a double edged sword for me, professional and conscientious on one hand but tank top and arm hanging out the window with sweet home Alabama playing on the other.

Whats your views?

What are you on about lol.
Why would driving make you more cocky.

BIG_SHOW:

Im interested to know, has trucking made you a more egotistical person? Have you noticed that confidence in other areas of your life has increased after doing the job that you now do? Not just in your driving abilities but other aspects of your life too? Have you even got cocky and complacent? I think its a double edged sword for me, professional and conscientious on one hand but tank top and arm hanging out the window with sweet home Alabama playing on the other.

Whats your views?

I’ve never been short of confidence,.and admittedly I’ve always been slightly egotistical by nature, and a bit arrogant tbh. :blush: …yeh I know it’s hard to believe. :laughing:
But you are talking as if being a trucker has some kind of kudos, or a job that should be envied :open_mouth: ,…Trust me it has not and is not.! :bulb:
I have never been embarrased to tell people what I do, but in conversation say on holiday for instance, it has been said more than once along the lines of …‘’‘You seem too intelligent to be a trucker’'…is that an insult or a compliment?
I take it as the former rather than the latter,

That is the perception of us by many, (though when I see and meet some of the scruffy ■■■■ s who can’t string a sentence together I can see their point.)

So nowt to be ashamed of but equally nowt to be proud of,.so as for having some illusions of grandeur because you drive an artic?..No chance.
And btw I’m a varied big music fan, but Sweet home Alabama is a track I hate. :laughing:

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day, A customer that I regularly deliver to asked me why an articulate guy like me is driving lorries for a living when he’d take me on at his printing business and pay me 30k a year without breaking a sweat :slight_smile: I found it quite condescending and told told him to try again, i prefer 40k and being my own boss during the day (i guess that in itself is kind of arrogant but i felt for a moment somewhat inadequate until i drove off and winked at 2 polish factory workers on a smoke break as i maneuvered this this out of the yard) (yes they were female) its not a job role id openly advertise but it is good being the best of the best :grimacing:

BIG_SHOW:
I had a similar thing happen to me the other day, A customer that I regularly deliver to asked me why an articulate guy like me is driving lorries for a living when he’d take me on at his printing business and pay me 30k a year without breaking a sweat :slight_smile: I found it quite condescending and told told him to try again, i prefer 40k and being my own boss during the day (i guess that in itself is kind of arrogant but i felt for a moment somewhat inadequate until i drove off and winked at 2 polish factory workers on a smoke break as i maneuvered this this out of the yard) (yes they were female) its not a job role id openly advertise but it is good being the best of the best :grimacing:

Judging by that I think you’ve answered your own question in your o/p. :laughing:

No the only thing that gives me confidence is drink ,

BIG_SHOW:

Thought this was about ego inflation,not delusion?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ego inflation…

Is an occupational hazard that fridge engineers deal with.

BIG_SHOW:

Whats your views?

Neil Young started wearing a Lynyrd t-shirt after he heard that - and Ronnie van zandt used to wear a neil young t-shirt.

JeffA:
Neil Young started wearing a Lynyrd t-shirt after he heard that - and Ronnie van zandt used to wear a neil young t-shirt.

A southern man…

Don’t need him around anyhow.

When Ronnie died in the crash Neil Young started playing “Sweet home alabama” at his gigs.

“Turn it up…”

“Ego inflation” - is when you lose your licence for TT endorsements - and get promoted to acting manager as a consequence… A position from where you can then bully clean licence holders out of the job, thus enriching any local agencies, whilst driving the original yard to the wall…

That’s multiple things achieved there for one’s failure:

Smashed something up at work
Lost Licence
Get to smash up and lose things for other people - 'cos you now wear a suit
Bring the employer firm down that didn’t have the bottle to get rid of YOU - 'cos you’re senior man, and a Union Steward.!

Meanwhile, the rest of us mere mortals - get the push for the proverbial “treading on the cracks in the pavement”…

Eg. “delivery done out of curfew” when Khaaan has already relaxed such rules…
“Too many infringements” - not the serious, illegal kind - but the old outgoing EU lickcock type rules of “must have a 15 minute break by 6 hours into one’s shift”… WTF was that really all about - other than massaging some Remainer SpittleKnob’s ego anyways?