Attitude and selfishness?

After being a member of this forum for a short while now, checking in whenever I can, I cannot help feeling that many of the drivers here,and the views expressed are probably representitive of the wider driving community that you lot are all out for yourselves and yourselves only.

I’m basing this accusation on many many comments thoughout this forum where you will quote some law, regulation or directive in order not to do what your boss requests you to do.

Have you ever thought about just getting on with it and getting the job done? Instead of finding some way of getting out of work? Doing an extra load or shift when things are busy? Staying on helping with loading, tipping or shunting? The way I look at it is my pay comes from the loads that we collect and deliver. If we don’t do the loads then where does our pay come from?

Basically I apply what John Fitzgerald Kennedy said in his inagural address to my working life. I look to see what I can do for my company as I know my firm will pay me for the work I do. I also take great pride in my work.

If you look at what you are going to do as opposed to what you are not going to do then things might start to improve.
I went out on a two day trip the other day, was a real short notice thing and someone was out in my lorry so had to take a real scapper in the yard. I had nothing with me at all! No maps, phone chargers, Sat-Nav, Food, Clothes or Bedding. Slept on the bunk with my coat around me. How many of you would do that? I didn’t want to but I got on with it as the load needed to get there. Wasn’t plesant but at the same time it wasn’t gonna kill me. You lot cannot park up without being in a service area next to toilets,showers and 24hour shops.

All I’m saying is that in order to get this country off its ■■■ and back on to its feet we need a major attitude adjustment. Look at what you can do as opposed to what you won’t do.

Breaker One-Nine:
I’m basing this accusation on many many comments thoughout this forum where you will quote some law, regulation or directive in order not to do what your boss requests you to do.

Things aint always equal, as your post in “run bent or keep your job” kinda states about going over your hours to catch a boat and given some leeway.

Maybe others working out of other areas in the mainland don’t get the same type of leeway because they arent going for a boat, and the companies are regulated by TC’s rather than the DVNI.

Would you still be running over your hours if you were facing a large fine (which your boss won’t be paying and because of the hassle he may get will try and land you in it to get himself outta it) and possible suspension of your licence.

Things aint always equal and some play by a different set of rules.

Thats the question you really gotta ask yourself.

Apart from the legal side and the helping out tipping the truck, doing some shunting, getting hit with a run last minute.

My honest answer depends on who i am working for.

If i am working for a small company, where everyone at times has to get stuck in help out, then yes i have no problems, with staying later, helping tipping trucks etc… Don’t mind that its expected not to be paying for parking over night because i know it is appreciated and know my boss will see my alright.

If i’m working for a large company, where there seems to be as many faceless suits driving 08 plate Audi’s than there is truck drivers then its a different matter. These companies present the image of being large profesional outfits and you are just a drivers number to them. Then i expect everything to be above board, i would expect my parking to be paid for, do you think the suits do things on the cheap when they are claiming company expenses for travel and meals for business. I wouldnt put myself out unless i was to my advantage. You won’t get any thanks for it and the real danger in those types of places is when you start doing extra work as a favor then soon make it part of your job every night to cut costs.

no night out gear should have stayed in digs
how many would have done it
none with any sense

Breaker One-Nine:
After being a member of this forum for a short while now, checking in whenever I can, I cannot help feeling that many of the drivers here,and the views expressed are probably representitive of the wider driving community that you lot are all out for yourselves and yourselves only.

Have you ever thought about just getting on with it and getting the job done? Instead of finding some way of getting out of work? Doing an extra load or shift when things are busy? Staying on helping with loading, tipping or shunting? The way I look at it is my pay comes from the loads that we collect and deliver. If we don’t do the loads then where does our pay come from?

Basically I apply what John Fitzgerald Kennedy said in his inagural address to my working life. I look to see what I can do for my company as I know my firm will pay me for the work I do. I also take great pride in my work.

If you look at what you are going to do as opposed to what you are not going to do then things might start to improve.
I went out on a two day trip the other day, was a real short notice thing and someone was out in my lorry so had to take a real scapper in the yard. I had nothing with me at all! No maps, phone chargers, Sat-Nav, Food, Clothes or Bedding. Slept on the bunk with my coat around me. How many of you would do that? I didn’t want to but I got on with it as the load needed to get there. Wasn’t plesant but at the same time it wasn’t gonna kill me. You lot cannot park up without being in a service area next to toilets,showers and 24hour shops.

All I’m saying is that in order to get this country off its ■■■ and back on to its feet we need a major attitude adjustment. Look at what you can do as opposed to what you won’t do.

I can’t be bothered with people like you.

It’s all very well “helping out”, but you’re also the sort of person who will happily break the law for your employer - something you admitted in your post within the thread “Run bent or keep job?”.
Well more fool you!

You say your work ethos is based on the famous line from JFK’s inaugural speech “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country”.
You should ask your company what they’ll do for you, if and when you lose your licence…

You should stop selling yourself short and spare the rest of us the “you lot need a major attitude adjustment” lecture - cause’ we’re not all ■■■-kissers like you!

Breaker One-Nine, when I was younger (now 50) I put everything into all the jobs I had and just got taken for a ride by the bosses MOST of the time.

That’s not to say that I did not enjoy those jobs, I did. :smiley:

Being young & eager is always a good thing but as the years progress a person starts to see things in a different light - getting older usually brings on some wisdom :wink:

I got the full 12 points on my licence in my younger days in trying to be good for the boss but that would not happen now.

I’m not saying that every employee should try to get away with what they can but there has to be a reasonable balance. The perception of that balance will differ from worker to worker and from boss to boss.

There are certain aspects to my current vocation (if I can get a job again) that I do put everything in to and that is to go that extra mile for the trainees as I want them to succeed as much as they do - if I lose that desire then I’ll give up being a trainer :exclamation:

Would I go that extra mile for the boss? - well, that would depend on the way I am treated by the boss and the company. It certainly would not be a one way street :exclamation: :exclamation:

Would I bend the rules or be illegal nowadays - NO.

Our society, in general, determines a lot as to how we do things IMO.

Tell me this is a wind up no one can be that stupid. Can they?

lefkasman:
Tell me this is a wind up no one can be that stupid. Can they?

Stupid or not, with only 3 posts to yr name we might get to judge you as being stupid yet

the way i see it is there is good and bad in every job weather its truck driving or shelf stacking ,i like most people on here spent a good bit if time in the army and im sure you can all recall some one there ho couldnt be bothered and was always tryin to get out of everything we used to refer to them as a waste of rations,but im sure you can all remember the brown noses aswell the countrys neva gona change and thats wot makes not one of us the same other wise wed all be clones.ithink it all boils down to personal pride(if u want to call it that) iv always tried to do wot ever i do well, but on the other hand i wont be wallked ova.

What?

Koop:
What?

PARDON!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

is this gonna be the 5 minute argument or the full half hour :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Breaker One-Nine:

Spoke my mind. I’m fed up of hearing other drivers in my company say things like “oh, you’re bringing the trunk up tomorrow? You aren’t going all the way without stopping, are you?” To which I reply “eh, well yea because it’s the trunk and it’s needed as soon as” then I get the usual response of something like ■■■■ 'em. All I can say is what comes around goes around. It’s not them who was asked would they like an early finish the other week…it was me. Ho hum. That was just one example but it’s all I hear. Sick fed up. Am I the only one in my company willing to help out and do the odd favour for the TM? It’s usually remembered and I get days off when Iask for them no problem. I’m sure every driver wouldn’t get that.

let me get this right! you took a scrapper of a vehicle? no phone? no sat nav? food ? clothes? bedding?
and you work hard? helping out at any time short notice ect to help your employer?

your employer really appreciates you then, think about it!
how hard would it have been for your employer to give you money for a map? money for food? money for B&B, surely there would be an old phone somewhere (don,t think i,ve worked anywhere where you could not get hold of a phone)

a good employer would look after his valued employees and would not allow them to do what you have., an emplyer would though allow this to happen ina hope that it will sicken off an unwanted member of staff.

neil46:
is this gonna be the 5 minute argument or the full half hour :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ask again in an hour! :wink:

Breaker One-Nine:

In many cases that could well be true - but you could say the same for a hell of a lot of industries.

Breaker One-Nine:

Again you’re close to the mark - but remember these are laws, regulations and directives that have been imposed on us by the powers that be.

Breaker One-Nine:
I went out on a two day trip the other day, was a real short notice thing and someone was out in my lorry so had to take a real scapper in the yard. I had nothing with me at all! No maps, phone chargers, Sat-Nav, Food, Clothes or Bedding. Slept on the bunk with my coat around me. How many of you would do that? I didn’t want to but I got on with it as the load needed to get there.

And no doubt your Blue Peter badge is in the post.

Stan

Breaker One-Nine:
Basically I apply what John Fitzgerald Kennedy said in his inagural address to my working life.

Buddy I bet you go down an absolute storm at dinner parties!

Attitude what attitude :smiling_imp: Selfish well maybe i woul’nt give ur me last rolo

Surly this forum is about free speech. All of us are diffrent we all have diffrent circumstances. As for getting on with the job i think most of us do evrybody has a moan somtimes.Some of us have done what the boss wants and been ■■■■ on for it so eventually you have a change of attitude.

This Post started at 0202HRS it is NOW

1109HRS by my clock Niel 46 this has gone past the

1Hour mark :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Breaker One Nine, While I think you have a point, there do seem to be many drivers and workers in many other industries who seem to spend a great deal of time and effort trying to get out of any sort of work and trying to disrupt the organisation of the company they work for. If they spent the same effort on just getting on with their jobs then thing might be far easier for both them and those who work round them.

But there are limits, I’ve never really been one to complain about what motor I drive, provided it’s safe and legal, or what work I do, but then again there are rules and regs with some severe penalties if you get caught breaking them. So if I can’t do something because I’ve run out of hours then that’s it and I’ve found that if a boss knows that you’ll do as much as you can when it’s legal, they seem to respect you when you say “sorry but no time left” as they know you’re not taking the [zb].

As for chasing to get the boat, well maybe if you’re on a route that doesn’t have many sailings and everthing was done to try and get you on that crossing in good time, but circumstances went against you, like traffic conditions etc.