Truckers Dog

Firstly, if i have posted this in the wrong section i’m sorry. I wasn’t sure which one to use.

As some of you may know,I was a transporter driver. I say was in the loosest sense, I have not long had a baby and am currently and for the foreseeable future off the road.

I have a dog, Charlie. He is a Staffie and was my companion in the truck. However, he is not happy being stuck at home all day without the attention he used to recieve. He is a wonderful dog and I really do not want to be doing this, but unfortunatly I have to find him a new home. Please don’t think I am taking this step lightly, but I have to do something, as Charlie is no longer happy. He is used to being one on one with me all day and night and now, with a baby he isn’t. He has started to tail chase I have had to cage him as i cannot focus on him like i used to.
So, if anyone out there would like a dog, who travels extremely well, doesn’t foul the cab and is a loving companion please let me know and we can discuss it more.

I appreciate not everyone will agree with this post, but please dont flame me for it.

Many thanks in advance,

Dizzy.

Dizzy:
Firstly, if i have posted this in the wrong section i’m sorry. I wasn’t sure which one to use.

I reckon they will leave it here for a week or so, that way maximum attention can be paid to it then it’ll prob go to the Health & Family forum - just guessing though :slight_smile:

I think you are doing the right thing in trying to find the enviroment that the dog likes to be in - I assume that is a preference over being with it’s normal companion - yourself :question:

I also assume that your main consideration might be for the baby’s safety if the dog is unhappy and there is the slightest possibility of it ‘turning’

sorry i cant help you in giving a new home for charlie but i have every sympathy with you.

i have a dog and he is the best mate in teh world and loves coming in the wagon with me but is also just as happy at home with the wife, i guess were lucky that he is that way, and i know how upsetting it must be for you.

hope it all works out in the end mate where you are both happy

If you used to work out of Hansons place at Nuneaton then i’ve seen the dog, very nice, I hope you get a new home for it.

Dizzy:

As some of you may know,I was a transporter driver. I say was in the loosest sense, I have not long had a baby and am currently and for the foreseeable future off the road.

I have a dog, Charlie. He is a Staffie and was my companion in the truck. However, he is not happy being stuck at home all day without the attention he used to recieve. He is a wonderful dog and I really do not want to be doing this, but unfortunatly I have to find him a new home. Please don’t think I am taking this step lightly, but I have to do something, as Charlie is no longer happy. He is used to being one on one with me all day and night and now, with a baby he isn’t. He has started to tail chase I have had to cage him as i cannot focus on him like i used to.
So, if anyone out there would like a dog, who travels extremely well, doesn’t foul the cab and is a loving companion please let me know and we can discuss it more.

I appreciate not everyone will agree with this post, but please dont flame me for it.

Many thanks in advance,

Dizzy.

How much is postage :blush: :unamused:

• hat, coat, taxi *

Seriously i have a dog and my mum wont let me get another in the house and as its a staffie my fav breed along with bulldog i would have the poor dog :frowning: if it wasn’t for the evil mother lol

That’s so sad. I’m sorry I can’t offer charlie a new truck but I’m sure it’s for the best.

a sad story indeed :frowning: and i hope you find a good home /cab for him.

funny, just thought of a great business idea.

an agency for cab mutts. :sunglasses: try before you buy.
this time next year i,ll be a millionaire. :unamused:

My heart goes out to you, I know that’s a really hard decision to make and I don’t envy you. I have a dog already and like yours he was my travelling companion when I drove a bulk tipper on the scrap game.
I can’t take him to work in my shopping trolley but I do miss his company.
I’m confident you’ll find a loving home for him. Regards, Dave. :frowning:

if you get no luck on here mate try pets4homes.co.uk cracking site for rehoming/buying pets, we got both our springers via the site which people needed to rehome. We used to have a Staffie until a freak accident involving collar snapping and a Range Rover, not nice, they are lovely characters and I hope you fine him the right home soon to ease the pain for yourselves and to get him into the atmosphere he loves again

Thank you for the replies. In answer to an earlier question, no I didn’t work for that company nor run out of nuneaton.

It is a sad situation, and not one I’m pleased or proud to be involved in. Sadly I have run out of alternative solutions in trying to make him happy, and whilst I might not like losing him I’d rather he was happy than miserable.

Rog, no I’m not concerned about him “turning” on the little one, he is way to gentle and whilst I don’t believe you can never say never, it is not my main concern. I do however notice that his behaviour and attitude are certainly not what they were now he is not the main focus of my attention. I won’t lie and say he is a perfect dog, but he certainly was far more perfect in a truck alone than he is at home with a baby…lol.

Again, many thanks for the kind replies.

Dizzy, please do not try to re-home your dog via an internet forum, however good your intentions. I would suggest. with all due respect,that you get in touch with your nearest Animal Rescue Center, and tell them about your problem.Over the last 40 years I have taken 3 dogs from my local rescue center. Before I was allowed to take the first dog home (back in 1968), someone came and checked me out. Most animal rescue centers will do this, So that when your dog is eventually, and hopefully for the last time ,found a new owner, it will spend the rest of it,s days in a good, and loving home. I had to have my last dog pts, at the age of 17, in March last year.I miss him every day. Since then I have been a volunteer helper at my local Animal rescue center.Cleaning out the pens, and walking the dogs, and giving them play time; and also giving financial support. I can vouch for the care and affection, that all dogs get while they wait for a new Best Pal.Have a look in your local Yellow Pages. Get in touch with them.You will not regret it.Best Wishes.

What would be the likely chances that an animal rescue centre could find a trucker willing to take the dog in a cab though :question:

Rog, my local Animal Rescue Center , does it,s level best to re-home dogs in the environment to which they are best suited. In this case, if the dog in question was unable to settle into a normal home situation,which I would find hard to believe, then I am certain that they would do their best to find it a cab for it to spend the rest of it,s days in.I don,t know about you, but I spent over 40 years living in cabs,and being generally treated like a dog, whilst touting about all over the UK and Europe. I have settled well into home life post retirement. I am certain that a dog would adjust just as well to life in front of some-ones fireplace, and loafing about on the settee.As I have. :wink: :wink:

Dogs do not have a long memory span, certainly in remembering being in a cab environment…

If you mst re home then do it via an animal rescue place as already mentioned…

You would be surprised to see the dog settled in a new home, and 3 months down the line will be as happy as he ever was. Good luck, its not a nice position to be in…

My Border Collie ‘Tess’ used to come with me all over the UK, until I lost her at 15, that was many years ago, and I still miss her. She used to snuggle up on the sleeping bag of a night like a hot water bottle, had walks in every County of the UK…

My latest one ‘Bryn’ has not been in a truck, but still been by my side every day, hes on borrowed time now, after two big Canine Vestibulars, every day now is a bonus…

wow it seems u guys which have posted on here have a real soft spot for our canine companions wish I could help rehome Charlie but alas can’t help I do sincerely wish u all the best in finding a good home for him.

Dizzy, DEFINATELY rehome through a good, reputable Rescue rather than over the internet. PM me if you need help to be put in touch with one near you - I work for Rescue in my spare time.