Transporting animal waste

Apparently trucks carrying animal waste and carcasses have exemptions from the drivers hours
rules, but I have been unable to find much out on the internet sites other than they are “exempted”.

Exempted from what exactly?
Surely not everything?
What about 45 min rest breaks and daily rests?

Does anyone have any recent knowledge or experience of this type of operation please?

Wasn’t it a temporary measure for the foot and mouth crisis to enable the carcasses to be taken away?

Could be wrong though :confused:

ive done a bit of this, though i wasnt driving at the time so dont know the rules but basically they used a log book,

and its usually a government thing because when i did it foot and mouth hadnt wasnt about.
so i think its work the logbook if you get me

the carriage of animal waste not for human consumption is exempt from eu tacho rules…you drive under uk domestic rules(log book)…if i remember correctly…11hours duty per day…10 hours driving…no requirement for breaks…(subject to the driver writing the correct information in the logbook…most drivers using logbooks are distant relatives of hans christian anderson. :slight_smile:

not sure if the working time directive has a bearing on uk rules???not driven on uk regs since the wtd came into being?

transportsfriend.org/hours/domestic.html

As has been said, you are exempt from EEC drivers hours rules, I did this work during BSE & Foot & Mouth & after, another benefit is that VOSA are not in the slightest bit interested in you, as soon as they get a wiff of the smell you get sent on your way :wink:

At first the smell will make you feel ill, pigs are by far the worse, but you soon get used to it, it’s no fun getting covered in it though, so when you’re round the back of the trailer undoing the twistlocks, make sure you do the bottom ones first & leave the side ones until last, that way if the door lock jumps over the cams while you’re behind it, the side locks will save you from getting submerged in lungs & intestines, trust me on this, it’s no fun :cry:

newmercman:
As has been said, you are exempt from EEC drivers hours rules, I did this work during BSE & Foot & Mouth & after, another benefit is that VOSA are not in the slightest bit interested in you, as soon as they get a wiff of the smell you get sent on your way :wink:

At first the smell will make you feel ill, pigs are by far the worse, but you soon get used to it, it’s no fun getting covered in it though, so when you’re round the back of the trailer undoing the twistlocks, make sure you do the bottom ones first & leave the side ones until last, that way if the door lock jumps over the cams while you’re behind it, the side locks will save you from getting submerged in lungs & intestines, trust me on this, it’s no fun :cry:

oh dont remind me of the smell. in the winter its not too bad but in the summer…boak, we used to regularly drive around the centre of edinburgh, one day we were waiting at the lights next to the balmoral hotel in the height of summer, wagon full of waste everytime somebody walked by you could see them holding their noses and running and me and the driver sitting there wondering what the hell everyone was worrying about :smiley:

Sounds like a pile of Bull[zb] to me :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Iv’e done this type of work, 11 hours per day duty, 10 hours driving 7 days per week. Makes a mockery of todays tacho rules. If your ok to do this on uk-domestic then why not on eec rules/regs. I’d sooner be maxed out at 11 hours duty than 15.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Just be careful.Although I may well stand corrected,as soon as youre empty,youre back on normal rules and regulations.(Obviously because you are no longer carrying animal waste.

whiplash:
Just be careful.Although I may well stand corrected,as soon as youre empty,youre back on normal rules and regulations.(Obviously because you are no longer carrying animal waste.

thats right whiplash… years ago i had a pal who would go quite a long way from the depot. get loaded and home we go no stopping.
i think he should have had his time off before loading but sometimes forgot he he.after work he would come into a packed pub
and as he got warm people would move away from him,(even after a hot shower). it was good if the bar was very busy he would go
to get served and in seconds he was standing on his own and got served quickley.that was before the easy sheet days and he
was dragging blood soaked sheets over dead animals ■■■ what a stink.
John