Animal waste transportation

Just a quick one regarding the above, not the most pleasant of jobs but needs must, while transporting animal waste ie offal, bone etc, if there is spillages, leaks etc from the said loads I take it the driver is at fault if caught?

It would be an insecure load just like any other, nasty one too, slippery as Diesel on the road.

Shouldn’t be leaks or spillages, they don’t use standard open tippers like they used to when i did it, and yes we had to sheet the load with a loose sheet, that was interesting.

Common sense as in everything, if the factory screens have filled with fat and the waste has too much water content you’ll have to open the taps and let it drain enough till the load is solid enough to drive safely, if its a boiling hot day you’ve got to allow for expansion in the expected travelling time.

Transporting using skips, it’s the offal skips I’m having the trouble with as they have holes in the bottom due to being pushed with a forklift in and out of place as the trolley has buckled due to weight, took one today and the blood was pouring out of it, emptied and returned but told them that that’s it from now on I won’t be chancing it, they think I’m being unreasonable, but I’m sure if I’m stopped I’m the one taking the bullet

don’t know how you can do that job,it would make me heave all the time

You get used to the sights and smells (don’t know about now but it used to pay very well for short hours, not as if you’re living the dream away all week in a tin can stinking of offal), in practice the old bill and VOSA know exactly what’s in those vehicles, and tend to look the other way, understandably so.

Juddian:
You get used to the sights and smells (don’t know about now but it used to pay very well for short hours, not as if you’re living the dream away all week in a tin can stinking of offal), in practice the old bill and VOSA know exactly what’s in those vehicles, and tend to look the other way, understandably so.

Yeah it’s short hours not much distance, and to be honest I’m used to the smell and have great gear to spray in cab & clothes to combat odour! But a sealed unit for transportation should be just that sealed instead of a trail of blood following me up the road lol

Used to carry turnings covered in coolant in RoRo skips same problem with the holes, used to plug em up with gloves and cheap kitchen sponges or expanding foam (when empty) if that’s any help to you?

Young_AL:
Used to carry turnings covered in coolant in RoRo skips same problem with the holes, used to plug em up with gloves and cheap kitchen sponges or expanding foam (when empty) if that’s any help to you?

Yeah sounds like a plan, but my argument is that the skips should be in correct order for the job, as I’m to collect and transport, from 1 place to the other and back, it’s the customers job to have the it filled and in proper order for the said job, I’m just the driver so to speak, I lift empty and return, but I seem to be the one being unreasonable, complaining lol

Yep I agree they should be fit for purpose, I resorted to sitting for a few hours with the bin raised in the air draining while I was Erm inspecting my bunk, all paid of course :smiley: is that an option for you?

Young_AL:
Yep I agree they should be fit for purpose, I resorted to sitting for a few hours with the bin raised in the air draining while I was Erm inspecting my bunk, all paid of course :smiley: is that an option for you?

I’ve done that aswell, but the penny hasn’t dropped, still being unreasonable lol

Haha enjoy the free money then :slight_smile: get yourself some DVDs and a player feet up for a couple of hours each day

What do they do with all that stuff? Dog food?

bazza123:
What do they do with all that stuff? Dog food?

Yep dog and cat food and fish meal for animal feed and fish food, last firm i was with we reguarly carried meat and bone meal, fish meal, turkey meal, chicken meal delivering to feed mills all over the country. The price of the end product is high to, fish meal was nearly £900 a ton, turkey and chicken meal was just short of £1000 a ton

irishexpat:
Transporting using skips, it’s the offal skips I’m having the trouble with as they have holes in the bottom due to being pushed with a forklift in and out of place as the trolley has buckled due to weight, took one today and the blood was pouring out of it, emptied and returned but told them that that’s it from now on I won’t be chancing it, they think I’m being unreasonable, but I’m sure if I’m stopped I’m the one taking the bullet

No you aint being unreasonable… who wants animal matter,blood & gutts strewn on the road, your place needs to employ a welder mate or think of some way of sealing these skips prior to use to avoid leakage, they also need to rethink how they move these skips about…

“I love the smell of turkey s**t in the morning”. (quote from “Apocalypse Now”, i believe). :smiley:

Swampey2418:

irishexpat:

No you aint being unreasonable… who wants animal matter,blood & gutts strewn on the road, your place needs to employ a welder mate or think of some way of sealing these skips prior to use to avoid leakage, they also need to rethink how they move these skips about…

we are contracted in, so it’s up to the plant in which we do the transportation for to have the correct equipment, but trying to talk to there men is like chatting to a brick wall, they will be in for a shock if things don’t change, I’m not risking my license for them, enough is enough!

■■■■■■■ you donk

Its " I Love the Smell of Napalm in the morning …Smells like … Victory"

Guess what? I knew that all along!! (climb on board!) :smiley:

Soz mate, but that`s a whooosh!! :wink:

When I was the Saturday boy in our local butchers I’d go help out the bone bin man every week.

Always told me the money was great for such little work as long as you can deal with the smell.

Used to take extra waste for a few chops or a steak as well, sod the rules on only having x number of bins. What were we supposed to do, leave stuff rotting for a week?

Same for the normal bin men actually, few bits of steak saw some amazing stuff get crushed up. Chest freezer being a highlight! :laughing:

hahaha ■■■■■■■