Transport Managers,How do I?

Hi There.

How do i get a list of transport managers for my new O licence application in my area or do i have to go through an agency??

Rang up an agency who advertise in one of the truckers mags, they will find you one but wow dont they want some money a month for the service!!

Cambridge UK is my area.

Many thanks.

Tricky Dicky.

If its hire and reward do your own operators CPC and become your own TM
if own account just apply for o licence
i bet Coffeeholic would qualify for TM if Luton is in Eastern region

Find a CPC holder in your own area, or advertise in a local paper. I act for three operataors, its word of mouth, ask around and someone will know of a CPC holder .
If its a restricted license your after you don,t need a CPC. The rate for an independant CPC holder is £25-£30 a week for first vehicle.

Dave the Renegade:
Find a CPC holder in your own area, or advertise in a local paper. I act for three operataors, its word of mouth, ask around and someone will know of a CPC holder .

There was talk of such practices coming to an end and I hope its soon. Quite how you can have an effective oversight of compliance with a company you don’t work for, have no managerial authority in and in all probability only contact when you invoice them, I don’t know.

Conor:

Dave the Renegade:

There was talk of such practices coming to an end and I hope its soon. Quite how you can have an effective oversight of compliance with a company you don’t work for, have no managerial authority in and in all probability only contact when you invoice them, I don’t know.

Well said Conor. Seems an archaic method of operating imo. And laziness on the operators part for not getting their own CPC.

I’m based in Somerset, we recently opened a depot in Glasgow and my firm put me forward as TM on the O Licence. I was going to spend 2 or 3 days a week in Glasgow until someone based up there got their National CPC but that wasn’t good enough for VOSA in Scotland so we had to do things differently. I did similar in the past when we opened a new depot in the midlands, I spent half my week there for six months until someone else qualified. Trusted my colleagues to do things correctly when I wasn’t there and they didn’t let me down.

hitch:
i bet Coffeeholic would qualify for TM if Luton is in Eastern region

Luton is in Eastern Region but I bet he wouldn’t qualify, he doesn’t have a CPC. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Simon71:

Conor:

Dave the Renegade:

Well said Conor. Seems an archaic method of operating imo. And laziness on the operators part for not getting their own CPC.

I’m based in Somerset, we recently opened a depot in Glasgow and my firm put me forward as TM on the O Licence. I was going to spend 2 or 3 days a week in Glasgow until someone based up there got their National CPC but that wasn’t good enough for VOSA in Scotland so we had to do things differently. I did similar in the past when we opened a new depot in the midlands, I spent half my week there for six months until someone else qualified. Trusted my colleagues to do things correctly when I wasn’t there and they didn’t let me down.

I act for owner drivers in my own area. I am not a phantom CPC holder, I see the operaters with their tacho’s and maintenance sheets on a regular basis. I was a driver until a bad RTA . I do CPC work as I have been involved in road haulage for over forty years. I do it to retain an interest in a industry which I have lived and breathed since I was a small boy.
I know there are people acting as TM on O licenses that never go near the operator. I am not one of those and I take exception to anyone who says otherwise. I stand by my reputation and will put my qualifications up for any of you barrack room lawyers to see.
I tell all the operators that I act for to go and pass there own CPC , which three have done in the past, I encourage them to better themselves and get as many qualifications as possible.
I have on one occasion withdrawn my CPC, as the operator would not listen to me when I pulled him up about maintenance, or lack of it. I would not hesitate to do it again, anyone who knocks on my door asking me to act for them gets told in no uncertain manner, run straight or I’m out and they know that I mean it.

OK Dave.

Apologies if you thought that I was questioning your professional obligation, that was not meant to be the case. As stated before, it seems rather lazy on the part of the operator not to get their own CPC, especially when it is costing him/her £25 - £30 per week. I suppose the CPC exam is harder than it once was but even so…

I’d be interested to know whether you have been TM for those operators you oversee for a long time? Did you have any correspondence with VOSA when an operator nominated you as TM? I get the feeling that there are disparities between the different traffic areas, with different areas applying somewhat different criteria that the O Licence holder must satisfy.

Cheers
Simon

Simon71:
OK Dave.

Apologies if you thought that I was questioning your professional obligation, that was not meant to be the case. As stated before, it seems rather lazy on the part of the operator not to get their own CPC, especially when it is costing him/her £25 - £30 per week. I suppose the CPC exam is harder than it once was but even so…

I’d be interested to know whether you have been TM for those operators you oversee for a long time? Did you have any correspondence with VOSA when an operator nominated you as TM? I get the feeling that there are disparities between the different traffic areas, with different areas applying somewhat different criteria that the O Licence holder must satisfy.

Cheers
Simon

I have acted for some operators for quite a few years. I have written letters to the T C and contacted Vosa if there are any questions to be answered. I have just notified an operator today that I will be finishing next month, as I am acting for him through an agency, something which I have never done before. I usually only act for people I know or have first hand imformation about. I was TM for a firm operating sixteen trucks a few years ago. I would not do that again, I like to know exactly who is driving the vehicle and where. No cowboys, otherwise I.m gone. Won’t be doing it much longer its getting to be a headache, agree that different traffic areas have disparities. I act in the Wesh and West Midland traffic areas, which have the same T C.
Cheers Dave.

Apologies did not wish to put that in triplicate, PC playing up. :cry: :laughing: :laughing:

Like Conor, I would not wish to question your competency or integrity, Dave, but I can see the point he was making.

My best mate holds a CPC which he took years ago when he was considering being an owner-driver. He has not driven HGV’s for a good ten years now, and his knowledge of transport law is appropriately rusty, yet he could legally act as CPC holder for a company if need be. He wouldn’t, but he could, and the point Conor makes is that as the law stands it compromises good and safe practice; I agree.