Operator Cpc.

Hiya, I passed my transport manager Cpc test about a year ago now and was considering advertising my services as a Cpc holder for other transport companies in my local area. This is NOT an advertisement!! When I was taking my training I was told that this practice was frowned upon as too many Tm s were not actually carrying out their duties as they should have been leading to too many discrepancies / irregularities , can anyone tell me A, if this is the case.
B, is there any demand,( I live close to a major city).
C, what would most T m s charge,
Many thanks for any replies.

It’s true that TCs are taking a very dim view of TMs who are TMs “in name only” and who only visit the office once a month for a coffee and to pick up the cheque. You do need to be actually doing management, tacho analysis etc.

I’m not sure what demand there is, but I imagine there is some demand as TMs retire, die of old age etc.

You need to be charging at least the National Minimum Wage so it depends how many vehicles you are in charge of. For one vehicle it works out to just under £220 a month.

Thank you Harry, am I right in saying that the commissioner would expect me to spend 3 days a month on T M duties ?

Im not sure I would put the qualification on the line for hire in jobs, likely to pick up the worst of the worst.

sampopmat:
Thank you Harry, am I right in saying that the commissioner would expect me to spend 3 days a month on T M duties ?

Eight hours a week for one vehicle. God knows where they get that figure from, unless reading Commercial Motor and going on TruckNet counts for seven-and-a-half hours of it. :wink:

Word of mouth is the best bet to get owner operators, or small hauliers to seek you out as a TM. I have been a freelance TM since the late 1980’s. Do your home work on the operator, and do the job properly, making sure they comply with the law.

Smashin, thanks for your help gents.