CPC Operator Transport manager [Merged]

I started a business last year and own a 6.5t truck currently working on a Restricted O Licence collecting my own goods. I now have a need for an unrestricted National O Licence to carry other peoples goods.
The form requires me to employ someone who has the Operators CPC qualification. How can I find someone! bearing in mind I only have one truck and have a very modest income. I’m in the Warrington, Cheshire area

Sorry if this is posted in wrong place or has been covered before

You have 3 options. Either use a company like transconsult.co.uk who supply ready qualified transport managers for about £300 per month. Find someone yourself that will cost around £150 PM or pass the operators CPC. Typically this could take about 3-6 months and cost around 1k although it can be done for less using home study.

Take a look at ocr.org.uk for details of the exams. They are not easy though.

autodel:
Sorry if this is posted in wrong place

I’d ask a mod to move this or re-post yourself in the Owner Driver section of the forum where you’ll get more replies.

How’d you get the national o licence?

@durknp please be more specific

durknp:
How’d you get the national o licence?

He said in the first post that it is a restricted O-Licence and you don’t need to nominate a CPC qualified TM for one of those.

Paul

mrpj:

autodel:
Sorry if this is posted in wrong place

I’d ask a mod to move this or re-post yourself in the Owner Driver section of the forum where you’ll get more replies.

Hi autodel and mrpj,

I’ve merged the two topics together and left them in this forum because the subject matter is probably best discussed here.

:bulb: Letting you know this has given me the chance to bump it to the top. :wink: :grimacing:

Lgv trainer has it right.

Ok, so where do you find an external CPC TM? is there a register?

I have an unused national CPC, based in North Yorkshire - we may be able to come to an agreement on using it.
PM me.

Pete

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right place but I’m sure someone will advise me if its not :wink:

Here goes, Now looking to complete a transport managers qualification so am looking for a TM’s CPC to start with, usual rules apply - cost is as always paramount !

Anyone any info on most cost effective course, ideally for me a distance learning approach so that I can organise it around work.

help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Decca

decca591:
Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right place but I’m sure someone will advise me if its not :wink:

Here goes, Now looking to complete a transport managers qualification so am looking for a TM’s CPC to start with, usual rules apply - cost is as always paramount !

Anyone any info on most cost effective course, ideally for me a distance learning approach so that I can organise it around work.

help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Decca

What area are you in first of all? Having just done the cpc course I would recommend doing the classroom based training. There is an absolute minefield of things to go through and I just think it would be too easy to put it down and leave it for another day if you did it as home study.

Also what you see on the notes is as far as it goes, whereas a qualified trainer can elaborate on the more detailed aspects of the course.

Matt.

xfmatt:
Having just done the cpc course I would recommend doing the classroom based training. There is an absolute minefield of things to go through and I just think it would be too easy to put it down and leave it for another day if you did it as home study.

I guess it’s horses for courses that one really. If you are capable of learning things from books, that’ll be the cheapest way certainly. I did mine by simply borrowing a copy of the David Lowe book and reading it from cover to cover a couple of times during my 45 minute breaks whilst on agency work, but obviously that isn’t going to work for everyone, for some a home study will be best, for some going on a course will be best.

Paul

Thanks Paul, Matt for replies - I do night trunking at the moment which is why I would probably opt for home study, I can work it around work and family life - no problems with this approach, Ex IT Lecturer, Teacher so appreciate the need for concentrating on the task.

Anyone know of any relevant study materials as audio book / MP3 that could also help myself and no doubt others, had some interesting info for anyone based Essex area thinking of doing this that would help financially, drop me a line and I’ll pass it on.

Thanks for looking and replying guys, I’ll keep posting here my progress !!

Decca591

I too would suggest the classroom based study as it would be better to be taught how to pass the test rather than what is required for the test. The instructors have better access to what is required to pass rather than going for it blind by home study.

On another note i hold a CPC international and live in Liverpool feel free to PM me if you still require an “part time TM”

Ok guys

Decision made, going for the home study pack from RHA, already have enough books to read thru for general background info plus how to approach the course and exams, will not be booking my exam till December, could go for September but don’t feel any need to rush, only want to do it the once so do it right ! - just got to book up for a one day seminar on the exam itself - anyone sat on one of these from Transed training in Talke(or anywhere else), Stoke on trent ■■?

Feed back appreciated if you have done the exam seminar.

Keep you posted on progress, anyone else in Stoke area doing the same ■■?

Regards

Decca591

Transed - did my ADR with them a few years back - very good in my opinion. Relaxed but you got the stuff done.

Can only assume this translates to their CPC course.

Also did both national/international CPC through home study. It’s obviously achievable but I missed having someone to bounce questions off. Do you know anyone else in the same boat as you? I.e joint studying.

Thanks for the response, that was my idea to try to work with someone else to bounce ideas off - but also, as I’m probably going to book exam in December then I’m giving myself plenty of time to prepare.

Still reading through my book about the CPC and exam before starting on the actual coursework !!!

Once again thanks for the response.

Watch this space guys !!

Decca

Hi chaps,

I thought I’d just drop in with my usual little note of caution…

Please, please please make sure that the textbooks/student notes that you’re using are current for the exams you will take.

:bulb: For example, a book bought last year will probably not cover everything for this December’s exams. :wink:

The reason for me saying this is that when I was a CPC instructor (quite a few years ago) we had guys coming in for re-sits when they’d been doing homestudy with out-of-date student notes they’d bought or borrowed.
They wondered how and why they’d failed. :open_mouth:

The author of the student notes should know which exams their notes are intended to cover.

Thanks for the reply Dieseldave, point taken. I am reading through an older book - Dave lowe - and it is 12th Edition - but this is to get my head around the topic, had it a while ( obviously) I intend reading it while I am out and about as and when I can, as I said, I am very much doing this around work commitments. My actual study pack is for December (I am assured) from RHA - feel confident RHA study pack should be bang up to date. Still not booked my exam and exam seminar yet - will be doing that over the next week or so, then I am committed - so may say I should have been a long time ago :wink:

Thanks for your comments guys.

Note: I also have an earlier edition of the David Lowe book - Edition 10 - but anyone doing it the way I am and just wants the background before starting studying proper - then message me and its yours !!

Decca.