transport manager cpc

Going for the managers cpc to work towards an o-license, ive heard in the mean time i can hire out my cpc. Does anybody know if this is true and if so what they go for? Thanks.

You can be the CPC holder for a haulage company, but don’t be fooled into hiring it out without having any say in how they run there vehicles!

Remember the CPC holder must have a good reputation, if you hire it out to some cowboy you will loos it.

I advertised my services as a CPC holder when I no longer needed it. But got fed-up with all the idiots that had no idea calling me up.

Its not just a name on a piece of paper.

irish44:
Going for the managers cpc to work towards an o-license, ive heard in the mean time i can hire out my cpc. Does anybody know if this is true and if so what they go for? Thanks.

Once you hold a CPC qualification (not Drivers CPC obviously) you can act as an ‘external transport manager’ for up to 5 operators (I think it is a maximum of 5). There is also a limit to the number of vehicles - but I can’t remember whether it is 20, 30 or 50!!

To do this the Operator has to nominate you as their TM and send the appropriate forms and your qualifications etc to the Traffic Commissioner. If the TC accepts you - you are then the nominated TM and fully responsible for all the TM matters!

I would suggest be very careful who you act as TM for. You must understand that if you gain your CPC (which is difficult) you can lose it by being the TM for an operator who gets things wrong. In my experience it is much harder to be an external TM and get it right, than be a full time TM and there on site all the time to control things.

As for how much? Anything from £50 a week to £hundreds a week depending on the operator, how much you are involved and how much they need a TM with a CPC! Remember - you would be putting your own professional repute and qualifications on the line - I would want paying accordingly.

As an external TM you are allowed to act for four operators with a maximum of fifty vehicles in total. The minimum amount of hours you are expected to work as TM for an operator with one vehicle is eight hours. For an operator with three or more vehicles it is fifteen hours a week.

I’ve had one since 1992 and never been employed as such. One question you should ask is “why does the operator need an external CPC Holder?” If they are new to the game then it would have been sensible to have done the course before setting up the business.

Another aspect is, has the operator lost their CPC because of bad practices or do they want a “fall guy” for when their operation hits the buffers?.]

Just a thought or two.

I have had both National and International CPC’s since 1989, and have been an external TM for various hauliers ever since, but they get me and not just my qualification. I won’t act for anyone who doesn’t let me do the job properly. My good repute is on the line.

Dave the Renegade:
As an external TM you are allowed to act for four operators with a maximum of fifty vehicles in total. The minimum amount of hours you are expected to work as TM for an operator with one vehicle is eight hours. For an operator with three or more vehicles it is fifteen hours a week.

I believe the minimum number of hours is set to change when the revised Senior Traffic Commissioner’s Statutory Documents are released. I can’t remember what the proposed new limits were but I do seem to remember they were lower now for those with just a few trucks. I’m sure I saw 3 or 4 hours for a single truck.

Lynda, Classic Transport Consultancy Ltd, 07963 656 589
info@oplicence.co.uk
worth a call
Rick

shep532:

Dave the Renegade:

I believe the minimum number of hours is set to change when the revised Senior Traffic Commissioner’s Statutory Documents are released. I can’t remember what the proposed new limits were but I do seem to remember they were lower now for those with just a few trucks. I’m sure I saw 3 or 4 hours for a single truck.

Beverley Bell TC 2013.

ANNEX 1: STARTING POINT FOR ASSESSING THE ABILITY TO
EXERCISE CONTINUOUS AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT
SUBMISSIONS
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
The suggested amounts of time offer a broad guideline as to what traffic
commissioners might expect in terms of hours worked.
Starting point The guidelines below indicate the starting point in terms of weekly
hours of work to be specified by a transport manager. The level of hours required for
any other employment or activities in which the proposed transport manager is
engaged may restrict his/her ability to devote sufficient time to the duties of a
transport manager on any operator s licence.
Delegated Authority Applications Where the starting point is met and there is no
other relevant adverse information (see Determining Factors below) the decision
may be determined under delegated authority in accordance with existing
delegations. Proposals which do not meet these guidelines must be referred to the
relevant traffic commissioner for a decision.
Motor Vehicles Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less 8
3 to 5 15
6 to 10 20
11 to 14 25
15 to 29 Full time
30 and above (Full Time) Additional assistance
required
Additional hours may be required for trailers.
In respect of total hours traffic commissioners will be aware that the road transport
working time legislation limits the average working week to 48 hours over a given
reference period with no week within that reference period being over 60 hours. The
horizontal working time legislation (non-EU regulated mobile workers) requires that
adequate rest be undertaken each week.
Other factors the matters set out in the following table might assist the traffic
commissioner in making a decision on whether to go up or down from the starting
points described above.

Dave the Renegade:

shep532:

Dave the Renegade:

Beverley Bell TC 2013.

ANNEX 1: STARTING POINT FOR ASSESSING THE ABILITY TO
EXERCISE CONTINUOUS AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT
SUBMISSIONS
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
The suggested amounts of time offer a broad guideline as to what traffic
commissioners might expect in terms of hours worked.
Starting point The guidelines below indicate the starting point in terms of weekly
hours of work to be specified by a transport manager. The level of hours required for
any other employment or activities in which the proposed transport manager is
engaged may restrict his/her ability to devote sufficient time to the duties of a
transport manager on any operator s licence.
Delegated Authority Applications Where the starting point is met and there is no
other relevant adverse information (see Determining Factors below) the decision
may be determined under delegated authority in accordance with existing
delegations. Proposals which do not meet these guidelines must be referred to the
relevant traffic commissioner for a decision.
Motor Vehicles Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less 8
3 to 5 15
6 to 10 20
11 to 14 25
15 to 29 Full time
30 and above (Full Time) Additional assistance
required
Additional hours may be required for trailers.
In respect of total hours traffic commissioners will be aware that the road transport
working time legislation limits the average working week to 48 hours over a given
reference period with no week within that reference period being over 60 hours. The
horizontal working time legislation (non-EU regulated mobile workers) requires that
adequate rest be undertaken each week.
Other factors the matters set out in the following table might assist the traffic
commissioner in making a decision on whether to go up or down from the starting
points described above.

Yep - that is the current guidance but I said they were set to CHANGE. The STC’s statutory documents are currently being revised by TC Richard Turfitt on behalf of STC Beverley Bell and are just about ready to be published. There are a good few changes to the statutory documents and one of them is the below on Statutory Document No 3.

2 or less 2 - 4 hours
3 to 5 4 - 8
6 to 10 8 - 12
11 to 14 12 - 20
15 to 29 20 - 30
30 to 50 30 – full time
Above 50 Full time + assistance
Additional hours for trailers

I think the above makes much more sense in practical terms. A single vehicle only needs a couple of hours a week to keep on top of things.

Euro:
Lynda, Classic Transport Consultancy Ltd, 07963 656 589
info@oplicence.co.uk
worth a call
Rick

I second this, she’s very good

I have done for 2 people, and they have respected it, now i dont do it but would if it was a friend in need. I believe that there is also a distance limit that VOSA do not like, its not a statute but something they frown upon when running a business from 100`s of miles away.

As a few others have pointed out, there are now guideline amounts of “contact” required between the consultant and the transport company, and you may be asked (I was…) to prove to the TC how you will achieve them. They are naturally very suspicious of anyone who already has a job, unless your full time job is only a couple of days a week. Also, though they don’t state it, I’m sure they also consider the distance from your home to the operating centre - how can you be keeping your eye on a company 100 miles away? (like I just noticed Truckyboy has already posted above - D’Oh!)

I have been TM for around 20 different hauliers in the last 26+ years. All within a 30 mile radius of my home. Some have gone on to pass their own CPC,others have found someone daft enough to do it cheaper. A couple have retired, and 3 operators I’ve withdrawn my CPC off them.
There is only one way to do the job, and that is be straight from the start and tell them you want to see all tacho and maintenance records. If they stay legal, you are OK. If not write a written warning, and if they don’t listen, pull the plug on them.

Thanks for the help guys

Probably half the TNUK members (inc me) hold and operator CPC, but as shown only a minority rent it out due to the reasons previously stated.

I got mine way back in 83 and last used it around 96.
I have been asked on numerous occasions over the years, to stand in as a CPC holder in different one and two man companies, with various amounts of cash offered …but declined every time.
Problem is if things go ■■■■ up it is the cpc holder’s arse on the line, and after various high profile cases the only ‘bird’ I want to do is one that wears a tight skirt and skimpy top. :laughing:

robroy:
I got mine way back in 83 and last used it around 96.
I have been asked on numerous occasions over the years, to stand in as a CPC holder in different one and two man companies, with various amounts of cash offered …but declined every time.
Problem is if things go ■■■■ up it is the cpc holder’s arse on the line, and after various high profile cases the only ‘bird’ I want to do is one that wears a tight skirt and skimpy top. :laughing:

What ■■?..Dorean the old bird from “birds of a feather” . I reckon Tracy would be more up your street !!!
Hehehehehehehehe

peirre:
Probably half the TNUK members (inc me) hold and operator CPC, but as shown only a minority rent it out due to the reasons previously stated.

Half of the members on here hold 1■■?

irish44:

peirre:

Half of the members on here hold 1■■?

Well they did tend to give them away if you could spell your own name correctly. My sister has one after my Dad bet she couldn’t pass it - she won. Very little studying.

Of course it got progressively harder from there to what it is today - difficult.