tramping

how did you guys come across your job? im wanting to get into it for a bit but i dont seem to see anything

gogzy:
how did you guys come across your job? im wanting to get into it for a bit but i dont seem to see anything

Not trying to put a damper on anyone trying but you probably couldn;t of asked at a worse time. Everybody seems to be on short time or laying off? Asking around (as you’re doing helps), where are you, up in Scotland?

i know its a bad time, just got taken off my long term contract with the local council but was only class 2 and im trying to get class 1 work,

yea im in scotland, near edinburgh.

try any firms with a 30 mile radius of where you live mate. im about 20 odd miles away from our yard but if your away all week its not a hassle. good luck mate…pete

get a cv together n turn up at firms n hand it in in person.you get a proper look,
n they get to see you,not just the cv?good luck :laughing:

try sitting down with a yellow pages, looking up haulage firms, then make yourselff comfortable and start ringing round. If they say nothing at the mo call back in 2 weeks then call back. :slight_smile:

yea thats probably what i should do, just kinda getting sick of this country, always something or somebody saying you cant do this or do that etc etc.

plus im sick of agency work, i havnt had a full time proper job since i was 18,

im 22 now. and i feel like im wasting my class 1 licence on 7.5 ton work or even vans.

if your that fed up with the uk gogzy, do what i wish i had done and ship out to canada mate?, me and the wife has talked about it but looks likewe are staying put…pete

Echo what wirralpete has just said ,your a young guy maybe with few comitments and as far as i know Canada has a driver shortage so give it a look.
25 years ago i knocked back the chance of a move to Canada.
Now even though i’m settled here with a reasonably good job i still wonder if i could have made a beter life over there. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sit down with the yellow pages and ring everyone within an hours travelling distance, it isn’t that much when you are out all week really is it?

You’ll find something mate!

Alex

just take what you can and worry about tramping, class 1 at a later date cos it looks like things are going to get worse.

Usually job centre web site or word of mouth.

whooshwhoosh:
get a cv together n turn up at firms n hand it in in person.you get a proper look,
n they get to see you,not just the cv?good luck :laughing:

Totally agree. When you visit said companies, try and introduce yourself to the person responsible for hiring new drivers. Then pop in every two or three weeks to see if there’s anything doing. If you keep this up, and have a bit of patience, you’ll get a break. My son wanted to be a joiner, but he fell short on his exam results. Because of this, he threw the towel in and went to work in a bottling plant and became all negative because he thought he had missed out. I then took him round every company that employed joiners within a 10 mile radius to apply for an apprenticeship. after visiting about 30 companies personally, he went home knackered. Three months later, he got offered a position with one of the companies he had visited previously because he popped in every week or so to show his face. Apparently, the lad they had started had the brains, but couldn’t deal with the graft. My son’s on his last year of his apprenticeship. !!! persevere.

The trouble with tramping is that you’re sleeping out in the truck, as the truck isn’t moving it’s not earning money, which is a big no, no, at the moment :frowning:

wirralpete:
if your that fed up with the uk gogzy, do what i wish i had done and ship out to canada mate?, me and the wife has talked about it but looks likewe are staying put…pete

well the only commitment really apart from family is my other half and shes just started uni in glasgow, though we are talking about moving away next year. dunno where yet but somewhere outside the uk.

gogzy:

wirralpete:

well the only commitment really apart from family is my other half and shes just started uni in glasgow, though we are talking about moving away next year. dunno where yet but somewhere outside the uk.

Better to let her finish her education before you make a movve.

Getting a HGV job at under 25 ain’t easy at the best of times. But it can be done, but you’ve got to go and knock on doors. Don’t just try the big companies, mostly they won’t take you on because of your age and strict recruitment policies. Go and see the small hauliers were you go into the office and you are talking to the owner.
They might like your face or just have a driver who’s walked and will be more willing to take young driver who seems keen to get out and do the job. Especially tramping as many driver soon get sick of it and have family pressures which means they don’t want 4-5 nights out each week.

muckles:

gogzy:

wirralpete:

Getting a HGV job at under 25 ain’t easy at the best of times. But it can be done, but you’ve got to go and knock on doors. Don’t just try the big companies, mostly they won’t take you on because of your age and strict recruitment policies. Go and see the small hauliers were you go into the office and you are talking to the owner.
They might like your face or just have a driver who’s walked and will be more willing to take young driver who seems keen to get out and do the job. Especially tramping as many driver soon get sick of it and have family pressures which means they don’t want 4-5 nights out each week.

well its her thats wanting to make the move, shes doing aerospace engineering so she wants to be somewhere that has a space program or airplane builders near by.

though im gonna go round local hauliers etc and see what i can get my hands on

gogzy:

muckles:

gogzy:

wirralpete:

well its her thats wanting to make the move, shes doing aerospace engineering so she wants to be somewhere that has a space program or airplane builders near by.

though im gonna go round local hauliers etc and see what i can get my hands on

Leicester has the space center :exclamation: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

i think shes thinking nasa because shes actually american, been here for 15 years though and never took up the british citezenship so still has her american passport so its easy enough for her to get into the states and take me with her lol.

Go to the states mate, and get yourself a US ticket, the money isn’t any better, and you’re out a lot on long haul work, but it’s a better life than tramping in the UK, and I’d place it a little above Euro work, simply on the language front. Not enough Brits out here these days.