Training providers around the Newcastle area

Hi everyone,

I have my provisional license and I have passed my theory test and CPC studies. Now I just need to get some training and my practical tests and the practical CPC completed.

Can anyone recommend me a good training provider around the Newcastle area? Does anyone have any idea how much the place charges for lessons and practical tests?

I want to go straight from my car to Class 1.

Thank you.

There is a link to providers in my signature at the bottom of this post

Have you considered residential with the forum sponsor :question:

I’d recommend giving Peter Smythe Transport Training a call as a starting point. You won’t go far wrong.

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goff118:
I’d recommend giving Peter Smythe Transport Training a call as a starting point. You won’t go far wrong.

With a name like Geordie Daz I assumed he was talking about Newcastle-upon-Tyne, not Newcastle-under-Lyme, around here we don’t acknowledge any other “Newcastle” than The Toon :smiley:

Most truck training providers around Tyneside have scaled back operations significantly, laying off instructors left, right, and centre, now that people have realized they aren’t going to walk into an £80k job doing 40 hours per week. :laughing:

Try NEDS, I’m friendly with their truck trainer, they’d want to give you an assessment drive before committing to car-to-artic (mainly because they’re handled a lot of the output from those Government boot-camp people and are under no illusions about the abilities of the average driver)

These guys have their own site for reversing/manoeuvres and their own Module 3a Instuctors and Examiners (Module 4 too). I believe they are the only people on Tyneside who provide all those services and that other local driving schools go to them for 3a tests.

I wouldn’t talk about their prices online, that’s for them to do, but I will say they’re not the cheapest, but decent schools are never going to be the bargain-basement on price

nedrivingschool.co.uk/hgv-training/

Mind you, I have to warn you that the North-east is stowed off with drivers, there’s no “driver shortage” around here.

Zac_A:

Goff118:

Try NEDS, I’m friendly with their truck trainer, they’d want to give you an assessment drive before committing to car-to-artic (mainly because they’re handled a lot of the output from those Government boot-camp people and are under no illusions about the abilities of the average driver)

These guys have their own site for reversing/manoeuvres and their own Module 3a Instuctors and Examiners (Module 4 too). I believe they are the only people on Tyneside who provide all those services and that other local driving schools go to them for 3a tests.

I wouldn’t talk about their prices online, that’s for them to do, but I will say they’re not the cheapest, but decent schools are never going to be the bargain-basement on price

nedrivingschool.co.uk/hgv-training/

Mind you, I have to warn you that the North-east is stowed off with drivers, there’s no “driver shortage” around here.

Hi Zac,

My uncle last night mentioned a training provider in the Team Valley area so I suppose that he was talking about NEDS.

If something is too good to be true then it normally is so I’m not looking for the cheapest training provider, but I don’t want to be paying a ridiculous amount of money.

I don’t have 2.5-3k spare at the moment so I would rather get the theory side out of the way first so I’m going to be doing the theory tests and CPC studies myself in the next few weeks. Thus, I’ll only be needing the training for the practical tests from a training provider. I’ll have the money for that in the next few weeks. I hope to have my license by the end of March at the latest.

So do you think that I’m going to find it difficult to leave my current job and become a lorry full-time? From what I have read I am going to have to do agency work at first to gain experience, but after a few months I shouldn’t have any problems working for an actual company.

NEADS is on the Team Valley not used them myself but they are also next to a CPC training provider ( chart wise )
They will also take you out round the TV With cyclist near & around you for training if you wish

Not sure if TTS at Kingston park are still around but they were decent a number of years back they will also do CPC

Best thing to do is call them speak with them find out cost & if there is a waiting list & how long

You didn’t have to do agency work sometimes you can get a job might not be what you want but it will give you experience although if you do work full time now do the odd shift for agency see what you like best some companies do take new drivers