Just Starting Out

Hi all, first just wanted to say that I have been looking through your forum and think that it is excellent. You have so much information on here for people starting their driving careers and have answered so many questions already just reading the posts. Keep up the brilliant work!!
Ok, down to business. I am going to be going for my Class 2 license soon. I intend to do it in a block course (5 days). My question is which training provider to go with. I live near Rotherham in South Yorkshire. Was initially going to go with L&T as I saw a bit of what they do on that HGV series on TV a while ago and their prices seem reasonable, but going to Pontefract every day seems a bit daft when there are a few schools round my end. I called a firm called Emms - they are a hauliage firm as well as a driving firm, near Doncaster. They dont charge a set cost but rather by the hour (£70 for a 2 hour lesson), would be doing about 4 hours a day etc. I have now found a guy called Barry Radley. He’s pretty close to me and the cheapest at around £670 for a five day course.
Has anyone trained with him or know of anyone who has. It’s important for me to find the best available because it has taken me ages to save this much money and would really like to pass first time :smiley: :smiley: . Any info anyone could give me would really help.
Also can anyone tell me what STS are like - have seen them mentioned on here, what do they charge■■? They certainly seem to put you through alot of driving time, which can only be good!!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you all. :wink: :wink:

Would definatley reccomend L+t mate no question.

See my posts :smiley: :smiley:

why don’t you click on the link to sts and call the guy,he’ll quote you a price you can only say yes or no :wink: but good luck and welcome to trucknet

here have a look at thisyou got nothing to loose :wink:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1431

scott79:
Also can anyone tell me what STS are like - have seen them mentioned on here, what do they charge■■? They certainly seem to put you through alot of driving time, which can only be good!!

I’ll tell you next week - I’m doing Mon/Tue/Wed with Pete (marlow on here) at STS for a bit of experience driving a loaded truck (I already have my C and C+E, but I’ve yet to use it).

Paul

:smiley: hi would definatley recomend l+t i trained with sterling and would not recomend them to anyone :cry:

Mezzz,

I have heard Sterling have got a dire pass record. There guys that were in with me on Thursday all failed. They do offer a GUARANTEED :question: pass but i dont know how the (zb) they work that. In the end it all comes down to instruction and l+t are all spot on and really encourage you.

the guarentee covers the cost of 3 hires of the wagon and instructor for retests still costs 130 quid each time for the test fee and an ADMIN charge :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I took a CAT C course with L&T a few months back and my advice to you would be to look for somewhere local. Not that L&T are no good or anything but I found that when it comes to the test itself your local knowledge really comes in useful - if you go with L&T the test will be in the Leeds - york area as my 1st one was. If you go with a local school the test will be in Sheffield - much of Rotherham is included in the test routes so your off to a good start.

I passed CATC with EMMS (Very good) but would recommend Euro Mark Training who I did C+E with, they are part of Truswell Haulage in Barnsley - again test is in Sheffield.

Hope all go’s well for you.

Cheers,
Paul.

Does anyone know what Emms are like to work for. On their website they say that alot of their drivers have been trained with them. Also says to ask about job opportunities when done the course.

Would recommend L + T also, Passed my class 2 with them!! :smiley:
Dont Know if Chris is still there - He is a mouthy git - but knows what he is talking about!

Wherever you go Good luck mate!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Try Atlas at Edlington, just round the corner from Emms.

My brother went with Atlas and passed both C & C+E no problems.

Don’t know their number but it should be in the phone book.