No, but I do deliver there sometimes, mostly in the south and west, where (roughly) are you based?

I drive for Jewsons.

I drive for Travis Perkins

i drive for builder center :wink:

IIRC Keyline are part of Travis Perkins aren’t they?

TP’s rates were always a joke, only way to make a living doing BM work is on the agency, 'cos no-one wants it and agencies always struggle to get experienced HIAB drivers.

I get Manpower ringing me up every year around this time trying to get me to do Jewsons’ holiday relief all round this area. Job’s a doddle but it means covering a 50-mile radius of depots and with today’s fuel prices, no chance!

Did 3 weeks for Frazers a couple of years ago; there was a permanent job going but it was even less money than Owens’, and they weren’t renowned for their generosity.

Only good side for me (apart from being guaranteed home in daylight) was I could get trade discount on stuff 'cos I was doing me house up at the time.

I would say the average is about £18k for 45 hours.

I do it for the hours I get to see my kids every morning and every night to me thats more important than the money.

Jewsons seem to be recruiting for Cat C multidrop around here (Thames Valley) every couple of weeks, I always took that to mean it wasn’t a lot of fun.

Builders merchants jobs never appealed to me at all, ironically its probably one of the first (arugably best) choices for new drivers, but i’d sooner drive a 7.5t doing a job I like, that an 18t doing stuff that I would hate.

Oh, and TP, Jewson, Wolsely and Buildbase, the advertised money always seems to be sub 20k by a significant margin.

deleted

I drive for Jewson’s at the moment (I say that as I will be off as soon as something better crops up)
Not very good money (I get just over 18K and no overtime at all)
They do however provide proper training. I joined Jewsons after being poached from another merchant. I was given a hire car and sent away for a week in a hotel in Swindon for Defensive driving training and an ALLMI crane certificate in my first week. I had been doing the same job with another firm for over a year but wasn’t allowed to drive until I completed my “Jewsonising”
With builders merchants you will find that every branch is different. Some are ran like a well oiled machine. Whilst others (my own branch especially) is made up as they go and no-one seems to actually have a clue how to run transport.
A fine example at my branch was when I complained yet again to my manager that the DAF LF 18 tonners we were using were not fit for the job. The suspension is horrendous and the cranes were mounted behind the cab which made most drops awkward. and they couldn’t carry enough weight for most of our drops.
He said to me “Stop complaining, a lorry’s a lorry isn’t it”
I just shook my head and told him “there’s your problem!”

I did eventually convince him to acquire a lorry more fit for the purpose and I sort of got one, a DAF CF 26 tonner with rear mounted -remote- crane and a lift axel that won’t stay up as it was calibrated before the crane was installed, making the load sensor assume control and drop the wheels. Also when I asked him where we topped up the adblue and how long does it last. I was replied with “ad what? what are you on about?”

Anyway we now have a new manager and he’s full of promises so I’ll give him a month or so before I make my mind up about leaving. (location is perfect for me as I’m 5 mins away)

Hasn’t Jewsons just moved to Hampton, and didn’t the old manager become the manager at the new depot■■?

Deepinvet:
Hasn’t Jewsons just moved to Hampton, and didn’t the old manager become the manager at the new depot■■?

Yes and Yes but he’s just been replaced by our old area manager. Area manager has got his missus in the club and wants to be closer to home.

I used to use Jewsons a far bit but since they moved I no longer use them, from my name you can tell where i’m from…You have probably delivered to me…
What is Alan doing now then■■?
SMc
ps No longer in the building game, got took for £5000 at Christmas :imp: :imp: :imp: had to get a proper job to make ends meet.

Alan is staying on as a salesman I think. He did threaten to run transport but that was just to wind me up I hope.

Tezmitch are you at the all new singing and dancing depot of the old one?.

Was it you that was at Truckfest?.

If it was I was talking to you I was with the truckersworld stand just behind your truck.

jammymutt:

If it was I was talking to you I was with the truckersworld stand just behind your truck.

Was me yes. :smiley:

Does the Italian guy still do the hiab training at their training depot near swindon ? ( Jewsons )

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
Does the Italian guy still do the hiab training at their training depot near swindon ? ( Jewsons )

Wasn’t there when I did mine. I was “trained” by an ex-copper.

TezmitcH:

jammymutt:

Was me yes. :smiley:

It was me that put my lad in the driving seat :wink:.