Top End set up FH Volvo

Hello all, I’ve been doing a lot of lighter work just lately & the mighty 13 re-mapped to 610 is still no better on squirt, I’ve just worked out loaded 2t in Yorkshire then 3.5t in Middlewich & tipped in Invergordon, I’d ran empty after fuelling up at Penrith over the 66 to 1st pick up by the way, I then ran down to near Pitlochry after tipping empty & fuelled up it came out at 6.67mpg :open_mouth: WTF is wrong with it granted I’m 21t empty but FFS I’d had the rear-lift up the whole trip! Anyway I’ve had it into Volvos today Hardies have Top End set up on offer @ £120 plus VAT & they reckoned that should help. I had it done a few years back on the old 460 but did’nt really check the fuel economy so much as this one have any of you had it done & has the economy improved?

Fly sheet

it defo helps john i got my man to set the valve and injector clearances on 2 of the 380 8 wheelers and they are now nearly as good as the 13 litre ones and thats on our stop start work round the smoke, regards paul

SO you have chipped it and you think you will automatically get better fuel… no not really, some say they get better on fuel some dont a lot fly is down to your old boot buddy, i chip basically every truck i get and only ever seen a slight increase in one with all the trucks i had chipped, i chip them for better driveabilty pulling if you get any better fuel its a plus, just out of intrest fly who re mapped the volvo■■? that may help as daft as it sounds

With everything being interconnected nowadays, a valve set will deffo get it running 100%, but there are many things that could’ve affected your mpg, from a tank of crap diesel to a high friction road surface, one thing you should check is the intercooler, it needs to be free of leaks to work properly, even the slightest leak will hurt mpg and strangely enough this problem shows up more when the engine isn’t working hard, when you’re heavy you’re producing a lot more boost to get down the road and this overcomes the leak and masks the symptoms somewhat, you need to take the hoses off just downwind of the turbo and just before it goes into the inlet manifold and pressurise the system to 35psi, if it loses more than 2psi in 15secs it’s junk :wink:

You can make a tester yourself for about 25 quid with some plastic end caps from B&Q, use the exsisting clamps to hold them in place, in one of them drill a hole and stick a tyre valve in to supply the pressure, on the other end drill a hole and screw in an air guage, just don’t stand anywhere near the flight path of the end caps as you check the guage, just in case :wink:

newmercman:
You can make a tester yourself for about 25 quid with some plastic end caps from B&Q, use the exsisting clamps to hold them in place, in one of them drill a hole and stick a tyre valve in to supply the pressure, on the other end drill a hole and screw in an air guage, just don’t stand anywhere near the flight path of the end caps as you check the guage, just in case :wink:

Damm I don’t remember that episode of Blue Peter,
And Remember to get an Adult to help you drill the holes. :smiley:

germangeezer:
it defo helps john i got my man to set the valve and injector clearances on 2 of the 380 8 wheelers and they are now nearly as good as the 13 litre ones and thats on our stop start work round the smoke, regards paul

Hiya Paul I’ve just been over to Yarksha then onto Penrith where I handed it over to my mate whose off to Invergordon in it, it seemed a lot more responsive as it happens, I’ll see what it does mazut wise when I get it filled up on Monday.

Regards

Cooper

globby 480:
SO you have chipped it and you think you will automatically get better fuel… no not really, some say they get better on fuel some dont a lot fly is down to your old boot buddy, i chip basically every truck i get and only ever seen a slight increase in one with all the trucks i had chipped, i chip them for better driveabilty pulling if you get any better fuel its a plus, just out of intrest fly who re mapped the volvo■■? that may help as daft as it sounds

NO I don’t expect massive improvments through having it chipped globby but running at half my normal gross weight I do, would’nt you? :open_mouth: My boot has been on a Volvo pedal for more than twenty years & theres sweet FA wrong with my right Blundstone believe me Chap :unamused: . I have had a truck chipped previously & it made a good bit of difference on MPG back then, I however had this vehicle re-mapped to get more grunt low down as I felt it was’nt doing too well at getting going for a 520 after spending a few years in a 460. That shower from Congleton re-mapped it well they took my coin anyway :imp: I don’t doubt there are better folks about to have done it somehow.

Fly sheet

newmercman:
With everything being interconnected nowadays, a valve set will deffo get it running 100%, but there are many things that could’ve affected your mpg, from a tank of crap diesel to a high friction road surface, one thing you should check is the intercooler, it needs to be free of leaks to work properly, even the slightest leak will hurt mpg and strangely enough this problem shows up more when the engine isn’t working hard, when you’re heavy you’re producing a lot more boost to get down the road and this overcomes the leak and masks the symptoms somewhat, you need to take the hoses off just downwind of the turbo and just before it goes into the inlet manifold and pressurise the system to 35psi, if it loses more than 2psi in 15secs it’s junk :wink:

I see what your saying NMC & reckon the re-set has turned it into what it should have been all along TBH with you. I’ve managed to get an ASBO around B&Q thanks :smiley:

fly sheet:
I see what your saying NMC & reckon the re-set has turned it into what it should have been all along TBH with you. I’ve managed to get an ASBO around B&Q thanks :smiley:

Tell me about it, I’m having a reset in Montana ATM & just spent the morning in Home Depot, the world’s biggest toy shop :laughing: