Volvo engine re-mapping

Hello, anybody on here had this done recently? Why is it called re-mapping is it the new word for chipped up? What sort of results have you experienced?

I’ve had a chipped 420 it went like ■■■■ but choked any1 within a street or two. It was excellent on fuel though.

I had my FH13 520 done on Thursday it seems to sound crisper but I’ve not been anywhere in it yet so dunno what its going to go like, I asked the guy all the above but eventually got flumoxed with his rambling! The bit I dont get is he says he’s re-mapped its torque curve & its now a 610 but I dont get how changing its torque will increase its BHP. I’m not an engineer but I’m not stupid either & I understand that changing the quantity off fuel & when its pumped in could up its BHP but not remapping its torque.

Incidently Volvo suggested they re-mapped it to a 480 for heavy work IE over 44t, anyway I’ve took no notice & saved a ■■■■ load of cash & now its a 610 they reckon!

If you read this Goaty I read you’d done your new shiny black FH when you’ve done polishing let me know how it pulls & its squirt consumption would ya?

Fly sheet

I fail to see how companies can claim to change the characteristics of a factory fitted unit.

An engine still has the same bore and stroke as before, and in ye olde days, the only way to do any serious tuning, would be to change the engine internals. Sure you could gain a few extra bhp by induction kits, carbs etc, (Petrol engines.) but how is it possible to claim an engine that came out of the factory sporting 480bhp, now having 610bhp. That’s roughly a 25% gain?

Ken.

It came from the factory with 520 horses & it now has been increased by 18% to 610 bhp & I have an idea that they use engines for various applications IE marine, plant etc, I always assumed that the last one I had chipped thought it was a tugboat maybe or a bulldozer with no emission requirements to speak of. I’m not an engineer as stated so am quite baffled. All I can say about the 420 I had chipped before was weight for weight from Erith to Brindisi a 480 SS Daf could’nt get near it. ( Sorry Daf Fans ) & it was great on fuel.

Fly sheet

Rob K’s favourite FH :grimacing: , has been “remapped” by Powerchips.
Factory 460 to 550 galloping ponies! :smiley:

Previous motors I’ve used, generally O/D’s, that have been chipped/remapped (same thing ain’t it ?) to 500+ bhp, all pulled like the preverbial train, though all but a couple of them kicked out a lot of black ■■■■ under acceleration.

I’ve only had my new’un on the road for 3 days but so far no excess smoke.
Fuel consumption looks ok on the dash computer but I’ve yet to confirm this manually as it has 750 litres either side so I haven’t got to the bottom of them yet!

Let me know how it goes fly sheet. Just put FH13/520 on the road. Very nervous when it comes to chips & re maps. Had a 4 series 164/580 that had a leaking injector 12 months after being re mapped. The re build cost me 5 grand. Dont know if it was connected but it did make me think!

A remap is like a chip change but is taylored to suit the indevidual vehicle, and rather than a componant being phisically changed the settings of the standard ecu are altered… The torque will be altered as well as the BHP by extra(or less) fuel being added at differant stages in the rev range giving the motor more power(BHP and torque) right through not just at peak revs. I think all lorrys run very lean nowadays which is why an old 360bhp unit 15years ago proberly went better than a 420bhp unit does today as it was not being strangled by emmisions laws. Its also why the old 142/143s had black reek pouring out the exhausts when pulling hard and an R620 has daiseys and butterflies coming from it. I think remapping can be a reliable way to increase performance and therefore mpg (because the engine is not as stressed), unless you cain it everywhere to indulge in your newfound power then the mpg will go down. I think reliability problems only arise when folk get to greedy and want to much of an increase like 580s taken up to 700.

My main concern was the getting hot thing which my 420 did after 1st getting chipped, I’m told by this lot powerchips or whatever this will not be a problem. Keep us updated Goatman & if you want to get your tare down I’ll willingly take that fuel off your hands :smiley: I’ll let you all know how it goes & thanks for your input.

Fly sheet

NB12:
A remap is like a chip change but is taylored to suit the indevidual vehicle, and rather than a componant being phisically changed the settings of the standard ecu are altered… The torque will be altered as well as the BHP by extra(or less) fuel being added at differant stages in the rev range giving the motor more power(BHP and torque) right through not just at peak revs. I think all lorrys run very lean nowadays which is why an old 360bhp unit 15years ago proberly went better than a 420bhp unit does today as it was not being strangled by emmisions laws. Its also why the old 142/143s had black reek pouring out the exhausts when pulling hard and an R620 has daiseys and butterflies coming from it. I think remapping can be a reliable way to increase performance and therefore mpg (because the engine is not as stressed), unless you cain it everywhere to indulge in your newfound power then the mpg will go down. I think reliability problems only arise when folk get to greedy and want to much of an increase like 580s taken up to 700.

Only taken it up by 18% as advised & I’m not hard on a lorry either so hope to see a tad of improvement mpg wise & its hopeless at getting going so hopefully this remapping of the torque should sort that out too.

Fly sheet

As far as I understand, chipping is physically replacing parts of the ECU that controls how much fuel goes in the engine, remapping is when nothing is physically done, but the software (computer program) that tells pump how much fuel to put in is changed. Remapping is much easier to do, and can be undone easier too (usually from a laptop).

Do you honestly think that all the millions Volvo Scania Daf etc spend on engine development, some bloke can come round in a van and give you another 15% bhp or torque AND still get better mpg? And conform to legal emission requirements? Lets face it, if you look at the fuel economy reports in something like commercial motor, where they keep the trailer, test route etc the same, there’s hardly a difference between manufacturers on fuel. Imagine what it would do to truck sales if one manufacturer suddenly said their truck could pull likea train, and get another 2mpg more than the competition? They’d clean up on sales.

I’ve never tried chipping or remapping, but I’d be wary of what it’s doing to your engine over the long term.

Don’t forget, its the torque that gets you up the hills quicker, not the bhp. If you liken a truck to a lightbulb, bhp is the same as the bulbs wattage, torque is the same as the light the bulb puts out. Just because you change a 60w bulb for a 120w one doesn’t mean you get twice the light out of it.

Right, chipping it replaces the original chips with the furlong programme for the engine so that it’ll perform different.
Remapping is slightly different as you don’t really replace the chips, just reprogramme them.
The 520 will be the same 13 ltr engine as the 610 but the only difference will be the ecu for each will tell the 610 to produce more power by changing parameters like fueling etc. It’s just like adjusting a programme on your computer as that’s all the ecu’s are, programme holders!

Original programme even not furlong! Don’t know where that come from!

I’ve been to Grangemouth today with a 40’ flat with 3t on & it went really well up Shap :smiley:

Fly sheet

fly sheet:
I’ve been to Grangemouth today with a 40’ flat with 3t on & it went really well up Shap :smiley:

Fly sheet

LMAO! Wish i could carry 3t all week! Also wish i had 610 under the cab too!

Beetie:
Right, chipping it replaces the original chips with the furlong programme for the engine so that it’ll perform different.
Remapping is slightly different as you don’t really replace the chips, just reprogramme them.
The 520 will be the same 13 ltr engine as the 610 but the only difference will be the ecu for each will tell the 610 to produce more power by changing parameters like fueling etc. It’s just like adjusting a programme on your computer as that’s all the ecu’s are, programme holders!

a 610 is a fh16 making it a 16 ltr!

yorkshireborn:
a 610 is a fh16 making it a 16 ltr!

That’s a good point! Lol!
It’s still the same process in theory tho! They just change the settings on the on board computer as such.

fly sheet:
It came from the factory with 520 horses & it now has been increased by 18% to 610 bhp & I have an idea that they use engines for various applications IE marine, plant etc, I always assumed that the last one I had chipped thought it was a tugboat maybe or a bulldozer with no emission requirements to speak of. I’m not an engineer as stated so am quite baffled. All I can say about the 420 I had chipped before was weight for weight from Erith to Brindisi a 480 SS Daf could’nt get near it. ( Sorry Daf Fans ) & it was great on fuel.

Fly sheet

:wink:

Just wondered what the outcome was here?, have you had improved mpg and journey times?.

NB12:
Just wondered what the outcome was here?, have you had improved mpg and journey times?.

I was just talking about it today NB12 & if I’m honest it has’nt made a lot of difference if any at all, its still ■■■■■ on fuel low 6’s most of the time & going up Windy Hill its the same as before just hangs on in the same gear as before. it sounds a tad different ticking over. If I had to replace it I would give the 13 litre a swerve. As for them telling me it was 610bhp its more like a strangled 500 I’d say. £350 it cost & if it saves a tiny bit of fuel over the time I have it I’ll have my money back in the end. You just can’t beat litres in the end, 16’s better than 13 end of!!!

Fly sheet

fly sheet:

NB12:

I was just talking about it today NB12 & if I’m honest it has’nt made a lot of difference if any at all, its still [zb] on fuel low 6’s most of the time & going up Windy Hill its the same as before just hangs on in the same gear as before. it sounds a tad different ticking over. If I had to replace it I would give the 13 litre a swerve. As for them telling me it was 610bhp its more like a strangled 500 I’d say. £350 it cost & if it saves a tiny bit of fuel over the time I have it I’ll have my money back in the end. You just can’t beat litres in the end, 16’s better than 13 end of!!!

Fly sheet

Surely the FH13 500 is already remapped? It’s essentially a FH13 420 with an in-house remap to make it 500. So trying to remap an already remapped ECU to get and get further 110 horses out of it is rather pie-in-the-sky? I’m not surprised it doesn’t feel any more powerful Paul because the engine simply isn’t capable of that power output. If it was then they wouldn’t have put a 16 litre lump in the factory 610. :bulb: If I were you I’d be looking at the company who did the remap for a refund, unless they can produce hard evidence (ie. properly calibrated rolling road or whatever) of a remapped 420 putting out 610. I have my doubts they will be able to…

Thats a bit dissapointing to hear, sounds like they have not done the job right. Should be able to get a bit more out the 13L engine as volvo themselves have this up to 540bhp now. Has this maybe got bigger injectors/intercooler or turbo?.