Tony's Tours

I’m not sure how to get this going, it’s just a nice memory from my febland days but it might make you smile indeed I’m sure you guys reading this have plenty of similar memories so let’s hear them.

It must have been about 7.30pm and I stopped at Auxerre services for my 21 Francs worth and parked next to two or maybe one of each of Swaines of Stretton and Lloyds of Ludlow (if you remember they both had the same blue and red livery) I had recently parted with my beloved DAF in favour of a Scania 141, the blue and red’s I parked next to were 111’s.

I walked over the bridge to the north bound services as the south bound was closed and as I walked I thought to myself I don’t want to appear rude but as I want to travel considerably further tonight I didn’t want to get involved in a chin wag with these two drivers who I probably knew to speak to.

I sat down at a table with my dinner and glanced over to where the Swains/Lloyds drivers were sitting, it must have been summer break as they had two young lads with them that I guessed were thier sons, well they were so busy having the crack between them they never noticed me so I finished my meal and set off to cross the bridge and found myself following at a safe distance behind the quartet who were laughing and joking and generally having a high old time.

We reached the lorry park and I heard one of the young lads declare “Dad look Feblands!” whilst the other youngster ran around the front and shouted “Dad, Dad 141!!”

We exchanged pleasantries and I roared off into the night giving a good old blast on the air horn ( big kid!)

I know it’s not much of a story but it’s just one of those nice little memories that stay with you always.

Hullo johnmcvey,
So it was you that woke me up that night was it eh ?, Bloody Airhorns, Bloody hooligans.
Cheers, Archie.

Well Archie not much response so far, c’mon you must have a little ditty to share?

Many many years ago I was on M2 coming up from Dover and stopped at the services [used to be Farthing Corner] – I crossed over the bridge for a coffee + chat with a mate who was to ship out [then there was a HGV Drivers cafe on southbound side] !!
After the coffee & chat I walked back over the bridge to truck park – there was a fair ruction going on as a pair of Hangarcamion drivers said their truck had been stolen !! A couple of us U.K. drivers helped them look over the parking but no sign of their truck… As this was in the days before mobile/cell phones I said I would call the police & one of the drivers in a mixture of pigeon English + German asked if I could phone their agent in Dover & explain what had happened !! It was then that a couple of us asked them where they were going – yeah you’ve guessed - going home !! We walked them back over the bridge & there was their truck as they’d parked it !! Never ever seen two happier drivers [in fact gave us a couple of bottles of beer out of their trailer box]…

The story about Auxerre & crossing the bridge jogged my memory on that one !!

As soon as John mentioned Auxerre services and the bridge, I thought I know whats coming next :laughing: .
After reading Big Leggy’s post I wonder how many other people have been caught out by the bridge at Auxerre :unamused: .
I was on the way home once when a German girl came up to me crying saying that somebody had stolen her car, she had only stopped for a meal. When I asked her where she was going and she said Lyon I realised that she had walked down the wrong set of steps onto the wrong car park.
When I explained to her what she had done and after she realised the mistake that she had made, did she looked embarressed :blush: .
I wonder how many more people were caught out like this :laughing: .
Regards Steve.