Road tales

Firstly I must say how much I’ve enjoyed all the road tales and story’s from some of the members on here, you gentlemen were in some cases real pioneers of the road. I never left the uk shores and tbh after reading some of the story’s written here I bitterly regret it now. So thank you gentlemen for sharing and hope there are many more to come.

Glad you enjoy them… It’s really just a bunch of old blokes letting of steam…cheaper than a psychologist :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jeff…

Black smoke blowin over 18 wheels the only home we,ve ever known ■■? our memories are not as sharp as they used to be but between us all there are a few miles knocked up …I for one can’t count how many nights I,ve slept in the cabin of a truck …I mean lorry !!!
cheers

There must be a million untold tales out there. I spent weeks doubled up in a MK111 AEC with a Duramin cab - not enough dosh for digs - only beer and grub. Every trip was an adventure especially abroad, something to look at in every town and village. Like old cats we just sit back and purr.
When I read some of the stories on here they trigger memories af Cafes visited, roads and routes used, mountains climbed and Customs and borders crossed. How the old hands remember half of it, I just don’t know, but long may it continue. I didn’t stay in road transport, but I am still a diesel junky.
Over to you story tellers who remember it best. Jim.

Stories■■? like the day I held up the offloading of the Larne ferry, I couldn’t get the 6 axle Foden artic to move because the brakes were fast on. :open_mouth: After much embarrassment and horn blowing I found the treadle type footbrake was stuck down, a quick spray with WD40 and all was well. :blush: :blush:

1 Like

grumpy old man:
Stories■■? like the day I held up the offloading of the Larne ferry, I couldn’t get the 6 axle Foden artic to move because the brakes were fast on. :open_mouth: After much embarrassment and horn blowing I found the treadle type footbrake was stuck down, a quick spray with WD40 and all was well. :blush: :blush:

Well that triggered a memory from way back :smiley: , had a similar thing with a Ford ‘D’ series in 1972, the one with the US style flat mirrors that couldn’t be folded in but that’s another story, on this particular day my regular ‘D’ series was in for a service or pre-plate check and so I had a hired D1000. So set off early as had been loaded the afternoon before and drove about four or five miles before I needed to brake, in those days there weren’t traffic lights on every road junction and early morning traffic in our area was between sparse and nonexistant, so applied the brake and ground to a halt for, at the time, no apparent reason. So being a hire vehicle there was a contact number on a sticker in the cab and off I walked to find a phone box, the contact was an ‘out of hours’ call answering service who took my details and location and said they would forward them to the locally contracted on call HGV garage. Three hours later a srevice van arrived and as per the previous poster found, after a little while, that the valve under the brake pedel had surface rust on it and had siezed but all quickly sorted with WD40. It seems a previous driver had removed the front panel (for the fuse box) as a poor mans aircon and it had rained thus letting water in causing the problem. No problem in the long run though due to being hourly paid, and I carry a small aerosol of WD40 with me to this day.

There was a girl that seemed to fancy me at one of my drops, so having re-arranged my load so I would deliver just before they left off and I would ask her for a date. I pulled over and shaved, put clean trousers and shirt on with the smellies annd hair combed,set off. just as I was entering the Hospital where she worked, I was checking my nostrils when I hit a pot-hole, driving my index finger up my nose to the second knuckle. Me and the cab looked like a Kosher abbatoir. No date. Jim.