Today's bays (photos of loading bays from today 3.4.09)

Full reverse thrust:

Split and ready to unload:

The next one was fairly tight:

And then on to somewhere else - designed by someone with the spatial awareness of Spinal Tap’s stage designer:

View from the cab:

I had to go around the building once, as the first time I turned I didn’t get the back wheels close enough to the right place and I thought it would be easier to start again from the beginning. Second time was much better but it still took several shunts.

The odd thing is, they could easily have put the wagon bays on the end of the building, not on the side facing the railway line. There is about 200 yards clear in that direction :unamused:

How the HELL an you do that? its like double articulated!

Lankytim:
How the HELL an you do that? its like double articulated!

Looks like a Wagon and trailer to me,but with a big trailer.Lots of Foreign Drivers can do that I think,and some English ones too. :wink: zetorpilot,a few shunts isnt bad,well done and Ive always found it better to start again if Im not sure first time,same as you did.Its a pity people never think much about drivers when planning some bays.good pics. Joe.

I’m glad I didn’t know in advance I would be going somewhere so tight, or it would have been on my mind all the way down.

Hopefully next week I’ll have my regular trailer back. It’s longer, but I don’t have to do any tricky reversing.

well done mate, how long did it take to get used to manouvering one of them longer ones?

ZP if you can reverse that lot onto a bay i think its fair to say you can drive :smiley:

Wonder how many others reading this know that with a drawbar turntable trailer, unlike a semi-trailer (artic) or close coupled 4 wheeler, that you turn the steering wheel initially in the SAME direction you want the trailer to go?

its the same as a b-double, has two articulation points, you back it as though you were backing a rigid (turn the wheel the same direction you want to go), although a lot slower and more gentle with the wheel and you need to bring it straight and back again constantly.

lovely looking volvo by the way, but i dont like the look of the combination, i think B-doubles look a lot smarter, im pretty sure theyd have the same cubic space as well.

B-Triples is where the fun starts…

euromat:
well done mate, how long did it take to get used to manouvering one of them longer ones?

As a general rule, mat, the longer the trailer, the easier they are to reverse.
It’s the short ones that can be a pain and tend to wander off as if they have a mind of their own, especially with a long prime mover

Inselaffe:

euromat:

As a general rule, mat, the longer the trailer, the easier they are to reverse.
It’s the short ones that can be a pain and tend to wander off as if they have a mind of their own, especially with a long prime mover

definitely agree, sometimes in melbourne you see a nice big long wheel base kenworth SAR pulling a 20 foot skel around the docks area, no bull the trailer must be about the same size as the truck, surely youd want to stick a little daycab scanny under it or something for manoeuverability (sp?)

@euromat: It didn’t take that long before I was regularly getting “hole-in-one’s”. The trick is to keep it slow so that the brain can keep pace with what’s happening :blush: :laughing: 98% of my reversing is with an empty combo so I’m still a bit rusty if I have to reverse a full load onto a bay as it handles very differently.

@beatun: Yes it’s the same size as a b-double. I don’t think I fancy that so much though. We have one at our firm so maybe I’ll get to try it one day, but as yet I’ve never driven it. It’s on container work, and takes a 30’ on the link and a 40’ on the b-trailer. Those triples look insanely large by the way :smiley:

@inselaffe: I agree the longer trailers are easier to reverse. Especially empty, with the bogie raised, there is a huge tail-swing so there is a lot of control of the drawbar.

Lets have some video footage :exclamation: :smiley:

im trying to figure out if you can take more weight on yuor combination than a standard b-double over here can

Steer axle - 6t
Drive axles - 16.5t
First Triaxle - 20t
Second Triaxle - 20t

i see your axle layout is a bit different, and looks like you might able to put more on?

I’m grossing 60 tonnes, which means in practice about 40 tonnes freight: 14 on the wagon and 26 on the drag.