Loading bays, drops! 2nd day done

morning all just a quick one?

ive got to ring in a bit for my first solo run out, i know im off to wakefield monday morning but just need to confirm it.

no problems opening curtains, getting load on the bed right and strapped properly but question is with a loading bay, once reversed up to the bay do the doors then open and they unload or do you open doors first and then reverse on?

my thought would be opening doors first as then they are locked back out the way but then would reversing with doors open be classed as a bit dangerous in fear of load falling etc?

With barn (open out) doors, you have no option but to fasten them back before going for the bay. And if the load’s going to fall out, it needed securing much earlier!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
With barn (open out) doors, you have no option but to fasten them back before going for the bay. And if the load’s going to fall out, it needed securing much earlier!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ok pete thanks for that, that was easy lol

Open the doors 1st, some bays are wide enough to open them 10 foot from the dock, but others are a bit tighter, 99% of loads are solid enough to back onto a bay without worrying, (shrunk wrapped pallets, banded pallets, cartons etc) unless you are doing 20 mph as you hit the buffers. Lol. (Or it’s a loose load of Ping Pong Balls)

Definitely open the doors first, there’s nothing worse especially when you’re new than taking 20 shunts and about 10 mins to get on a bay only to find that you’ve got to pull off again because you can’t open the doors :smiley:
It also gives you a chance to plan your reverse and give you a bit of awareness of your positioning

martinviking:
Open the doors 1st, some bays are wide enough to open them 10 foot from the dock, but others are a bit tighter, 99% of loads are solid enough to back onto a bay without worrying, (shrunk wrapped pallets, banded pallets, cartons etc) unless you are doing 20 mph as you hit the buffers. Lol. (Or it’s a loose load of Ping Pong Balls)

well im actually going empty so should have nothing to worry about, when it comes to strapping loads up after there on do you pull away from the dock and then slide curtains open and strap load up? just unsure of which is best way really

Big Roy:
Definitely open the doors first, there’s nothing worse especially when you’re new than taking 20 shunts and about 10 mins to get on a bay only to find that you’ve got to pull off again because you can’t open the doors :smiley:
It also gives you a chance to plan your reverse and give you a bit of awareness of your positioning

thanks roy, cant beat having a good weigh up of whats going on and where you are

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

well im actually going empty so should have nothing to worry about, when it comes to strapping loads up after there on do you pull away from the dock and then slide curtains open and strap load up? just unsure of which is best way really

Yep, usually pull away & free the bay off for the next wagon, then you can play with the straps, if it’s an XL rated curtain & it’s a load of Cornflakes, printer cartridges, aerosol valves or even Beans & the load fills the trailer from the head board, then you generally need to just cross strap the rear pallets or if you want to hang the job out a bit strap every pallet.

We carry a lot of kerbs & drainage products, between 500-1000 kg per pallet & I tend to strap every pair of pallets, when it’s light plastic pipes I just chuck a token strap across every 2nd or third row.

If the curtains aren’t XL rated, technically you’re supposed to strap every row. (Wink wink) treat it as a flat trailer.

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Yeah you will have to strap the load up afterwards if they are loading you of a bay.Just make sure that if your using internal straps to secure it.They are at the back of the trailer and not inside the headboard.Otherwise you wont be able to get them out.

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Yep, usually pull away & free the bay off for the next wagon, then you can play with the straps, if it’s an XL rated curtain & it’s a load of Cornflakes, printer cartridges, aerosol valves or even Beans & the load fills the trailer from the head board, then you generally need to just cross strap the rear pallets or if you want to hang the job out a bit strap every pallet.

We carry a lot of kerbs & drainage products, between 500-1000 kg per pallet & I tend to strap every pair of pallets, when it’s light plastic pipes I just chuck a token strap across every 2nd or third row.

If the curtains aren’t XL rated, technically you’re supposed to strap every row. (Wink wink) treat it as a flat trailer.

so do u pull away and open curtains up and sorts straps out etc? its my first solo job and the lad i did a few days with didnt really strap anything up as he was multi dropping and saw it took too long

Nozza:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Yeah you will have to strap the load up afterwards if they are loading you of a bay.Just make sure that if your using internal straps to secure it.They are at the back of the trailer and not inside the headboard.Otherwise you wont be able to get them out.

ok thanks i couldnt imagin getting it loaded up and not been able to get straps out lol

The most important thing with loading bays is not to go on/off one if there is a red light showing.

Very easy way to get sacked/banned off a site if you disobey them.

Judehamish:
The most important thing with loading bays is not to go on/off one if there is a red light showing.

Very easy way to get sacked/banned off a site if you disobey them.

ok cheers

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

so do u pull away and open curtains up and sorts straps out etc? its my first solo job and the lad i did a few days with didnt really strap anything up as he was multi dropping and saw it took too long

As I said ‘Technically’ you should strap every row. As you’re new to this, I would take my time & make sure it’s all secure, it only takes one second of harsh braking & you’ve got 2 hours of picking it all up !

Drive it like a ■■■■■, keep the speed down on the bends & brake gently, forward plan, forward plan, forward plan, anticipate that some one will cut you up, pull out in front of you or fly round a roundabout just as you are pulling away. Any harsh steering input & you are probably going to be getting a bit of exercise picking it all up, then explaining why it’s got damaged, ultimately coming out of any bonus you might or might not have earned.

Don’t Panic (Mr Mainwaring) we were all there once, you won’t learn it in a day but as long as you keep your head, you’ll be ok.
If your not sure, ask other drivers, most will either help you out or offer advice, if they don’t, they’re not proper drivers-just Steering Wheel Attendants.

Is it class 1 or Rigid ?

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

As I said ‘Technically’ you should strap every row. As you’re new to this, I would take my time & make sure it’s all secure, it only takes one second of harsh braking & you’ve got 2 hours of picking it all up !

Drive it like a ■■■■■, keep the speed down on the bends & brake gently, forward plan, forward plan, forward plan, anticipate that some one will cut you up, pull out in front of you or fly round a roundabout just as you are pulling away. Any harsh steering input & you are probably going to be getting a bit of exercise picking it all up, then explaining why it’s got damaged, ultimately coming out of any bonus you might or might not have earned.

Don’t Panic (Mr Mainwaring) we were all there once, you won’t learn it in a day but as long as you keep your head, you’ll be ok.
If your not sure, ask other drivers, most will either help you out or offer advice, if they don’t, they’re not proper drivers-just Steering Wheel Attendants.

Is it class 1 or Rigid ?

rigid, a 14 plate auto

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Is it class 1 or Rigid ?

rigid, a 14 plate auto

Ok, we seem to have more pallets go over in Rigids than Artics, perhaps it’s just that the drivers tend to boot it a bit more & brake a bit more harshly, as I said earlier-take it easy & you’ll be ok, wait until you’re empty before you put your Lewis Hamilton Boots on.

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Is it class 1 or Rigid ?

rigid, a 14 plate auto

Ok, we seem to have more pallets go over in Rigids than Artics, perhaps it’s just that the drivers tend to boot it a bit more & brake a bit more harshly, as I said earlier-take it easy & you’ll be ok, wait until you’re empty before you put your Lewis Hamilton Boots on.

cheers martin, il update here with how i get on but like u say u can always ask but id rather check the load once put on, and make sure its right

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

bigdavehull:

martinviking:

Is it class 1 or Rigid ?

rigid, a 14 plate auto

cheers martin, il update here with how i get on but like u say u can always ask but id rather check the load once put on, and make sure its right

Ok Dave, good luck.

Cheers mate

I’ve done work taking eggs to Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons RDCs. It was in a rigid that had load bars every 3 to 4 rows and one in front of the end row. When arriving at the RDC, I’d back in lining up then I’d stop but before the buffers to drop my tailgate under the ramp area. I’d leave the shutter as it was sealed. Then I was go hand my keys into the office which I would be given back once the loader had checked it off and handed back the paperwork. Before leaving though I’d pull forward slightly and sort my tail gate out. If I tried to pull out with it down I’d make huge gashes down the sides of other peoples wagons.