Loading bays, drops! 2nd day done

Radar19:
I’ve done work taking eggs to Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons RDCs. It was in a rigid that had load bars every 3 to 4 rows and one in front of the end row. When arriving at the RDC, I’d back in lining up then I’d stop but before the buffers to drop my tailgate under the ramp area. I’d leave the shutter as it was sealed. Then I was go hand my keys into the office which I would be given back once the loader had checked it off and handed back the paperwork. Before leaving though I’d pull forward slightly and sort my tail gate out. If I tried to pull out with it down I’d make huge gashes down the sides of other peoples wagons.

yeh this im driving is just a pair of barn doors, tail lift is there but under the chassis so wont worry about that one, il open doors back fully on, when loaded pull away and then sort straps out etc ready for the off

bigdavehull:

Radar19:
I’ve done work taking eggs to Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons RDCs. It was in a rigid that had load bars every 3 to 4 rows and one in front of the end row. When arriving at the RDC, I’d back in lining up then I’d stop but before the buffers to drop my tailgate under the ramp area. I’d leave the shutter as it was sealed. Then I was go hand my keys into the office which I would be given back once the loader had checked it off and handed back the paperwork. Before leaving though I’d pull forward slightly and sort my tail gate out. If I tried to pull out with it down I’d make huge gashes down the sides of other peoples wagons.

yeh this im driving is just a pair of barn doors, tail lift is there but under the chassis so wont worry about that one, il open doors back fully on, when loaded pull away and then sort straps out etc ready for the off

If you are not feeling it, ask other drivers. Thats what I did. I had to get another driver to help me back onto a really tight bay as they were doing building work in the yard that cut it in half. He was a proper Londoner :laughing: :laughing:

Yeh im not scared about asking

well got to yard at 6.15, found paperwork waiting for me, ended up with 14 plate renualt auto, jumped in and off i went, local pickup first for 7 pallets and off to cocacola factory for delivery, dropped them off and then headed for another pickup of some very impressive motors weighting around a ton a piece!! fully strapped them up!! 15 grand a piece is impressive!! then once off loaded back to yard to collect various bits and delivery to a warehouse with another collcection enroute and then home and dry by 5, so not in a bad first day!!

glad you had a good first day, cant wait to get on with it myself now!

Sounds like an easy-no drama-no stress-1st day, they won’t all be like that Dave, but as long as you take your time & leave your ‘Gotta get finished’ Head at home, you’ll be ok.

Yeh was fairly stress free, as im new too it i cant believe all the health and safety involved ehen doing drops like staying in the cab.

bigdavehull:
Yeh was fairly stress free, as im new too it i cant believe all the health and safety involved ehen doing drops like staying in the cab.

Wait till you deliver to a B&Q store. You’ll have to stand in your little orange square of shame.

bigdavehull:

Yep, PPE every where, make sure you’re wearing it, saves being told off like a Naughty Schoolboy, lots of places take your keys off you as well, some places make you stand in a little ‘Pen’ & others make you sit in a drivers room, others allow you to sit in the cab-no consistency whatsoever.
You’ll get used to all the H & S B/S, just go along with, makes life a bit easier.

Radar19:

bigdavehull:

Wait till you deliver to a B&Q store. You’ll have to stand in your little orange square of shame.

really ■■

suppose this is a side of thing i have yet to experience or even think of tbh

i use to work in a Asda doing night and they was no rules for the drivers or the warehouse staff we be running around allover the place whislst the lorrys entered the yard and the forklifts or scissor truck unloaded so a ‘Orange Square of Shame’ sound a bit drastic… :open_mouth: :astonished:

Square of shame sounds quite funny lol thats like a we know where he is at all times!

Reborn:

Radar19:

bigdavehull:

really ■■

suppose this is a side of thing i have yet to experience or even think of tbh

i use to work in a Asda doing night and they was no rules for the drivers or the warehouse staff we be running around allover the place whislst the lorrys entered the yard and the forklifts or scissor truck unloaded so a ‘Orange Square of Shame’ sound a bit drastic… :open_mouth: :astonished:

B&Q are PPE mad. That square is there so you can be seen by the forkie at all times. I’ve been to places where I’m in the back of the wagon as the forkie is taking the pallets off. Asda is chaos. I did was runs with Noble Foods to Adsa in Erith. Its mental as you just wander around the site.

Big Roy:
Definitely open the doors first, there’s nothing worse especially when you’re new than taking 20 shunts and about 10 mins to get on a bay only to find that you’ve got to pull off again because you can’t open the doors :smiley:
It also gives you a chance to plan your reverse and give you a bit of awareness of your positioning

See you saw me at weekend then.

well today was a bit more like it, got a couple of pallets to go to wakefield along with 7 more on a drop not far from first one, and also loaded was 4 pallets for bradford…but then it hit me, when the boss rung and said ermm dave my tracker showing u in bradford u need to be in wakefield first ooooopppss just round about turn and half hour or so later managed to get my drop off and 2nd one and back to bradford, had 15 mins break at depot in bradford and it worked out perfect for a full collection of aggregate so had 30 min break there and then back to yard! all in all not a bad day and quite enjoying it, still i check the map aswell as satnav just to make sure but it is just finding yards and entrances but that comes

Easy, isn’t it ?
We all make little mistakes, but they soon get sorted & everyone’s happy again.

You’ll soon be on Artics telling us how it’s done.

Sounds like your trying to take your brakes whilst you are loading, that way you end up working straight through the shift, get loaded then take a proper break, 40 winks usually does it for me.