To flash in or not?

Hello all, when driving up and down the A9 i usually get a clever ■■■■ in a lorry come roaring up behind me then just pull out in front of oncoming traffic or better still a left hand bend.The trouble is i still flash them in when they have passed, i have been thinking is it worth not bothering or will that just turn a bad situation into a dangerous one. :question: I normally sit at 50mph on that road so it`s hardly holding up the traffic but some people cant seem to wait. what would any of you do :question:

follow the law and the highway code, dont flash. you could be flashing someone in to a dangerous situation or something they may not have seen.

Thats for the advice,i just thought by flashing them in they can get back to the left hand lane and out the way of oncoming traffic.

it is a sort of unwritten rule, but lazy or inexperienced drivers tend to expect it, and that worries me, they need my help because they dont know were the back of there truck is…?

mikey-t:
it is a sort of unwritten rule, but lazy or inexperienced drivers tend to expect it, and that worries me, they need my help because they dont know were the back of there truck is…?

And you get the ‘experienced’ drivers who dont need anyones help and they pull in and leave a gap just big enough for a rizla :unamused:

that is true, so maybe all thats needed is some common sense. if someone looks like they need a flash and its all clear go ahead, if someone is on kamikaze manouveres and taking risks, back off keep your distance let them get on there way to there accident

i always flash trucks in, i remember when i first started out, ■■■■■■■ with rain,pitch black,really struggling to know if i was safe to come in or not,that flash to tell me i was o.k to do so was a godsent, i really was thankfull ,now i dont need it,but i always think there might be some young kid struggling like i was so always flash them in whatever, maybe only 1 out of 100 need help but thats good enough for me

profesional driver always have manners :exclamation: :exclamation: sometimes i need the flash as driving agency get all different sized trucks so never get used to one truck always leave more than enough room to get back in and so mabe drivers think she needs the flash hey hoe but always flash in my dad always did it and just think its a nice gesture we are all trying to get there an back in one piece :wink:

agreed but in the context of the pushy drivers mentioned, overtaking you at tricky moments when there is clearly no room. i think i would be on the horn instead

I usually wait for a flash not because I don’t know where the back of my lorry is, but because it lets me know I’m at a distance ahead that the driver behind feels comfortable with.

When someone pulls in front of me with a few feet to spare I have to back off to keep a safe stopping distance and be able to see ahead

mikey-t:
agreed but in the context of the pushy drivers mentioned, overtaking you at tricky moments when there is clearly no room. i think i would be on the horn instead

So your plodding up the A9 at a steady 50 mph when another lorry comes past you and with either oncoming traffic or a left hand bend in front you think “I’ll blow the horn and that will take care of this potentially dangerous situation”, not very helpful is it :wink:

I’m not condoning people overtaking in dangerous situations but of course you should do what you can to make the situation safe and if that means flashing the over-taking driver in when it’s safe to do so then so be it, not because it’s a nice or friendly thing to do and not out of camaraderie, but because it’s the safe and responsible thing to do.

Although it would be nice to see some camaraderie back in this job :slight_smile:

Just because someone else behaves like a jerk or simply makes a mistake doesn’t mean you have to imitate his/her irresponsible behaviour :wink:

Squiddy:
I usually wait for a flash not because I don’t know where the back of my lorry is, but because it lets me know I’m at a distance ahead that the driver behind feels comfortable with.

^^ +1

I often use the A9 normally in a car because I only do the occasional run up and down in a truck now but one thing I find helpful is that some truckers will give you one flash of the indicator to let you know its safe to overtake, but I still check before I do but the annoying thing about some of the truckers is the Tesco, Summerfield Asda etc trucks stick stick religeously to the 40 mph speed limit. Yes I know its the law but there are plenty of signs that say ‘Frustration causes accidents,allow overtaking’. My opinion, but I think they cause more accidents than the ‘speeding’ trucker at 50. Yes I flash drivers in as well as some trucks do cars as well.
And why are the excessive speeders on that road all or most seem to be dragging fridges behind ?

raymundo:
And why are the excessive speeders on that road all or most seem to be dragging fridges behind ?

JIT schedules ?

mikey-t:

I would prefer the brakes instead

Denis F:

raymundo:

JIT schedules ?

Or perhaps NET… not enough time ■■

Hang on a minute guys…I don’t know this A9 you lot speak of, but since the OP said a truck pulls out into oncoming traffic, I’m going to presume this is a single lane carriageway? So the OP has admitted that he’s a complete ■■■■■ for breaking the law in the first place…and he wants to say “yeah no worries mate, come on in front of me flash flash happy days”…no wonder the general public hate us and want us off the roads, and to be honest, I hardly blame them anymore!

Or have I got this road completely wrong and its actually a dual carriageway and the OP is for some reason in lane 2? :unamused:

The A9 North from Perth is mostly single lane an a bloody nightmare at times, I dont know of another road that is so ’ accident waiting to happen’ than this one. But at the end of the day there is not a dangerous road anywhere but dangerous drivers on them.
Drive as the prevailing road conditions allow not as how fast your right foot will let you.

raymundo:
The A9 North from Perth is mostly single lane an a bloody nightmare at times, I dont know of another road that is so ’ accident waiting to happen’ than this one. But at the end of the day there is not a dangerous road anywhere but dangerous drivers on them.

Exactly :slight_smile: Just like speed cameras aren’t dangerous…just the drivers who slam their brakes on. This will probably ignite some peoples tempers now :stuck_out_tongue:

Adam_Mc:
Hang on a minute guys…I don’t know this A9 you lot speak of, but since the OP said a truck pulls out into oncoming traffic, I’m going to presume this is a single lane carriageway? So the OP has admitted that he’s a complete ■■■■■ for breaking the law in the first place…and he wants to say “yeah no worries mate, come on in front of me flash flash happy days”…no wonder the general public hate us and want us off the roads, and to be honest, I hardly blame them anymore!

Or have I got this road completely wrong and its actually a dual carriageway and the OP is for some reason in lane 2? :unamused:

I think you might have it wrong.

Please refrain from feeding the trolls.