To flash in or not?

Squiddy:

Adam_Mc:
Hang on a minute guys…I don’t know this A9 you lot speak of, but since the OP said a truck pulls out into oncoming traffic, I’m going to presume this is a single lane carriageway? So the OP has admitted that he’s a complete ■■■■■ for breaking the law in the first place…and he wants to say “yeah no worries mate, come on in front of me flash flash happy days”…no wonder the general public hate us and want us off the roads, and to be honest, I hardly blame them anymore!

Or have I got this road completely wrong and its actually a dual carriageway and the OP is for some reason in lane 2? :unamused:

I think you might have it wrong.

Please refrain from feeding the trolls.

Care to educate me then?

Flashing in is an old unwritten rule which was safe back in the 80s. If a truck was over taking you back then the chances were it was going considerably faster than you and would be quite a distance in front within a few seconds of the flash.

Now with speed limiters where it can take miles to overtake when you flash someone in they’re going to be 6 feet in front of you and not really going anywhere. You can never flash too late but you can flash too early so I say no flash at all.

This situation on the A9 is a little different. Flashing him in and backing off is certainly preferable to forcing him into a head-on collision to prove a point.

Adam_Mc:

Squiddy:

Adam_Mc:
Hang on a minute guys…I don’t know this A9 you lot speak of, but since the OP said a truck pulls out into oncoming traffic, I’m going to presume this is a single lane carriageway? So the OP has admitted that he’s a complete ■■■■■ for breaking the law in the first place…and he wants to say “yeah no worries mate, come on in front of me flash flash happy days”…no wonder the general public hate us and want us off the roads, and to be honest, I hardly blame them anymore!

Or have I got this road completely wrong and its actually a dual carriageway and the OP is for some reason in lane 2? :unamused:

Care to educate me then?

Uh maybe I’ve got it wrong then :blush: Looked like you were calling the OP a complete ■■■■■.

Squiddy:

Adam_Mc:

Squiddy:

Adam_Mc:

Care to educate me then?

Uh maybe I’ve got it wrong then :blush: Looked like you were calling the OP a complete ■■■■■.

If he’s admitting to doing 50mph whilst driving a HGV on a single carriageway then I am calling him a ■■■■■…but before I stuck to my guns, I asked if I got the situation wrong or not.

Terry T:
Flashing in is an old unwritten rule which was safe back in the 80s. If a truck was over taking you back then the chances were it was going considerably faster than you and would be quite a distance in front within a few seconds of the flash.

Now with speed limiters where it can take miles to overtake when you flash someone in they’re going to be 6 feet in front of you and not really going anywhere. You can never flash too late but you can flash too early so I say no flash at all.

This situation on the A9 is a little different. Flashing him in and backing off is certainly preferable to forcing him into a head-on collision to prove a point.

Flashing people in was an unwritten rule long before the 80’s.Drivers were using it in the late 50’s and with slower vehicles it was a big help.I started driving lorries in the 60’s when the vehicles didn’t have the power that you guys have these days and it helped when you were struggling to get by another lorry to get flashed back in when you were clear of the other vehicle.

Going off thread a wee bit but here goes, A82 form Inverness to Fort William or visa versa, totally single track and twists an turns as it follows Loch Ness etc. How many times do you see the next day ■■■■■■ drivers hurtling along like a lunatic only to catch them up at either end or at any of the holdups along the way?, dont see the point in that mesen.

Adam_Mc:
If he’s admitting to doing 50mph whilst driving a HGV on a single carriageway then I am calling him a ■■■■■…but before I stuck to my guns, I asked if I got the situation wrong or not.

Why must he be a ■■■■■ for doing 50 mph on a single carriageway, he apparently drives according to the prevailing conditions rather than an arbitrary LGV speed limit put in place by people who may not have ever seen the road in question let alone driven on it, there are plenty of single carriageway roads where it is perfectly safe to drive at 50 mph in a lorry.

Law or no law an arbitrary 40 mph speed limit for LGVs on all single carriageway roads makes no sense whatsoever :unamused:

Dave the Renegade:

Terry T:

Flashing people in was an unwritten rule long before the 80’s.Drivers were using it in the late 50’s and with slower vehicles it was a big help.I started driving lorries in the 60’s when the vehicles didn’t have the power that you guys have these days and it helped when you were struggling to get by another lorry to get flashed back in when you were clear of the other vehicle.

Yes the flashing in was sort of necessary when proper lorries, not trucks, had rear view mirrors the size of a tax disc, hung on a sprung rod vibrating like Katie Price’s little toy.

If someone is going faster than me there is no need to flash them in, if he is going the same speed, I will drop back rather than let them sit at the side of me for seven miles.

I am with Denis. I will pull in when I am happy with the gap, although you do get some who have an addiction the the flasher switch!

quote…‘Law or no law an arbitrary 40 mph speed limit for LGVs on all single carriageway roads makes no sense whatsoever’

Do you include the ones in built up areas within that lot?

Complaining about Asda drivers keeping to the speed limit ■■ i work for a firm who were checking on the tracker to see if anyone was speeding on single carriageways ,thats how bad this job has got and no doubt Asda will be the same, the reason they drive at around 53mph on the motorways is because thats what the limiters are set at in the name of saving fuel and believe me or not it does make a difference .Flashing lights goes back to the early days when drivers worked together ,i cant understand why you feel the need not to flash another driver in ,is it some new code thats been invented by the modern driver?

tachograph:

Adam_Mc:

Why must he be a ■■■■■ for doing 50 mph on a single carriageway, he apparently drives according to the prevailing conditions rather than an arbitrary LGV speed limit put in place by people who may not have ever seen the road in question let alone driven on it, there are plenty of single carriageway roads where it is perfectly safe to drive at 50 mph in a lorry.

Law or no law an arbitrary 40 mph speed limit for LGVs on all single carriageway roads makes no sense whatsoever :unamused:

it does if your on hourly pay :wink: :wink:

raymundo:
quote…‘Law or no law an arbitrary 40 mph speed limit for LGVs on all single carriageway roads makes no sense whatsoever’

Do you include the ones in built up areas within that lot?

Basically what I’m saying is that LGV speed limits should be appropriate to the road and area rather than the arbitrary speed limit we now have.

tachograph:

Adam_Mc:

Whether it makes sense or not, I don’t want points on my licence. If you don’t like driving at the speed limit get another job that doesn’t involve driving and do us all a favour.

I’ll probably get a slating for this but if I was overtaken by a vehicle in a dangerous spot, to avert an accident I’d do what I could to get him back on the right side of the line. Two wrongs don’t make a right so although he/she may have made a bad judgement I wouldn’t want to be party to someone being injured or worse. I’ve been there & it takes many years to come to terms with believe me.

On motorways I flash in those who are considerate enough to remain out in lane two until I’m comfortable with the situation but I’m regularly concerned when lorries are going past me these days, so many of them seem to want to pull back in front of me the very second their tail is past my screen. I had to take to the hard shoulder recntly yet the M5 still had over 130 mles to run so why the heck do some drivers want to come in so quick. One of them is going to cause a serious accident one of these days.

BB

Dave the Renegade:

Terry T:

I referenced the 80s because that was when trucks were still unlimited. Either 89 or 90 is when the limiters started to appear in new trucks.

Wheel Nut:
although you do get some who have an addiction the the flasher switch!

I’m always surprised how many trucks flash me in when driving my car. I went passed one at about 80 a few days ago and he flashed me in when I indicated. I had to laugh. It’s not a one off either, happens regular.

waddy640:

tachograph:

Adam_Mc:

Whether it makes sense or not, I don’t want points on my licence. If you don’t like driving at the speed limit get another job that doesn’t involve driving and do us all a favour.

So it doesn’t matter whether or not the limit makes any sense but anyone who disagrees with it should stop driving :smiley:

By the way I don’t want points on my license either, which is probably why I don’t have any :wink:

tachograph:

It does in a head on collision. Such collisions might be rare but when they do happen it’s not pretty and you still have a closing speed of 80mph with 2 trucks and 100mph if a truck hits a car in a 60 zone.

Terry T:
It does in a head on collision. Such collisions might be rare but when they do happen it’s not pretty and you still have a closing speed of 80mph with 2 trucks and 100mph if a truck hits a car in a 60 zone.

Not that rare, and on a motorway too;

dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … -22948135/

A9 crash.jpg

A9 North of Dunkeld 23/12/10

A driver lost his life and a good reason for staying at 40 or less considering the state of the roads that day, tragic for all concerned.

A9 smash.jpg