Being " flashed " in

probably come up in conversation elsewhere on the forum , but why is there a lack of this on the motorways etc these days ?

Is it a " your faster than me …balls to you " syndrome or what ?

its bloody anoying when you may only be 2/3 mph faster than the truck your overtaking , and you look in the mirror and try and guess when to come back in…
What has bought this attitude on…?

over to you lot…

its a bit scary that you have to guess :blush:

:laughing:

I always flash the lights to let the overtaking driver know when it’s safe to pull in.

But to be honest these days a lot of drivers seem intent on seeing how close they can get to the front on my cab when they pull in, so as often as not I don’t get the chance to flash as by the time it’s safe for them to start pulling in they’re already there :unamused:

Another thing I’ve noticed that seems to be on the increase, is drivers when overtaken will flash the lights so fast that if you blink you’ll miss it, what’s that about :confused:

I only “flash in” if the vehicle needs to be flashed in, not if its doing warp factor 7, and simply because i don’t want the other vehicle 2 metres in front of my screen!! I wont flash if said vehicle is asking to be flashed…IE sticks indicator on whilst it is passing. :imp:

Also…i don’t expect to flashed in when I’m 2 inches passed you, i know how long i am! I’ll come in when i think its safe enough.

I asked something similar not long ago…

HERE

everytime i flash i get the jail

nobody wants to see my bits :cry:

i’ll get my coat

el sumo:
probably come up in conversation elsewhere on the forum , but why is there a lack of this on the motorways etc these days ?

its bloody anoying when you may only be 2/3 mph faster than the truck your overtaking , and you look in the mirror and try and guess when to come back in…

over to you lot…

You “look in the mirror and guess when to come back in” :unamused:
. . . . are you for real ?
Dunno about you but i know how long mine is (oo err)

merc0447:

i’ll get my coat

I would hope so flashing trucker while you are driving, shame on you, do you just work in a dressing gown■■? :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation: j/k

Im used to not being flashed in…I work for stobby! :open_mouth:

I tend to do it just out of courtesy.

When I’m overtaking, I do know when it’s safe to pull in but I always prefer to leave a good extra bit of distance in front of the overtaken vehicle before I pull in if I can - providing I’m not going to hold up miles of traffic in the process. If I’m flashed to pull in before I’ve made a large gap then I take the opportunity as the other driver’s obviously comfortable with me being that distance I am away from him.

I agree though that some drivers do pull in a bit too quickly before you’re able to flash them! Not too much of a problem so long as they keep a good momentum.

DS074:
Im used to not being flashed in…I work for stobby! :open_mouth:

normally some drivers dont need flashing in when they cruise by at warp 9 and im plodding along at warp 4 (56 mph) :laughing: :exclamation: :smiley:

also some trucks when they pass by vanish in a bright flash of light and leave only tyre trails of fire…they must of reached 88 mph.!!!

pecjam23:

merc0447:

i’ll get my coat

I would hope so flashing trucker while you are driving, shame on you, do you just work in a dressing gown■■? :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation: j/k

aye it is a high viz one- keep all the health + safety plod in my work happy :wink:

i find it dissapointing when a fellow truck driver does not flash me in,especially when your mirrors are getting dirty when its raining,i have also noticed a big problem(one of my pet hates),of trucks pulling in too quickly,causing me to anchor up to maintain a safe distance.as i drive a transporter,i sometimes have up to three to four feet extra hanging over the front of my cab.the amount of times someone has nearly clipped that car is unreal.i will flash you in WHEN ITS SAFE TO DO SO. :angry:

el sumo:

over to you lot…

I`m with El Sumo on this one [I have raised this subject before], its normally a very short flash, whats the point of the “Blink on an eye” flash, FFS, NO use whatsoever on a crowded M6 / M1 / M25, I NEED my eyes on the road ahead, I need to see a decent / longer flash out the corner of my mince pie.

Its the macho / divvy boy racer attitude IMHO, the “don`t you know your own trailer length” know-it-all, who thinks it is clever to leave you stranded, who then burns a hole in your rear doors with his “super spots”, because you hesitated :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

On the FH12 460 I`ve driven in the last couple of days, there is a warning on the rear view mirror lense, which actually states the obvious, “the vehicle in view is closer than it actually appears” or something like this.

Take it for granted, the driver overtaking may need some help, it does`nt take too much effort, OR cost you anything does it.

Have a safe day :sunglasses:

There are 2 issues that SEEM to be in conflict.

One is the staying in lane 2 and passing very slowly.

The other is the pulling in too early after the overtake.

A lot of drivers do not seem to mind holding up others whilst doing the first but then they seem to switch thinking and want to pull in too early so as not to hold up others - I’m baffled as to why…

manowar:
I agree though that some drivers do pull in a bit too quickly before you’re able to flash them! Not too much of a problem so long as they keep a good momentum.

Sorry but if I’m forced to brake to keep a reasonably safe distance between us I consider it to be a problem, not one I’ll lose sleep over but still unacceptable and unnecessary.

ROG:
A lot of drivers do not seem to mind holding up others whilst doing the first but then they seem to switch thinking and want to pull in too early so as not to hold up others - I’m baffled as to why…

I agree but even more baffling is why they do it when there’s no-one behind them to hold up :confused:

you should know when it is safe to pull over the vehicle you are driving, if you don’t you should’t be driving it! had to many idiots put me on the hard shoulder lately cos they want to pull in so quick!!! and before anyone say’s owt about making em stop at the side for ages my motor only does 53 and i will back off rather than sit with someone at the side for miles! what happens if u flash in and then they have to brake■■? let em get a good 30 foot past!

when i do use the motorways or dual carriages & a vehicle is overtaking i do 2 things:
1 - I knock off a couple mph. This helps the other driver esp when roads are busy. I also find the driver waving his thanks as he passes me. inc johnny foriegner
2 - I always give two long flashes to ensure that they have seen them.

Why do some drivers think its acceptable to leave a fellow HGV stranded in the middle lane anyway? It annoys me when passing a slower truck and they just sit there on the limiter, when if they knocked it off for 5 seconds and let you pass everyone would be happier and safer, including the anti-truck brigade who petition parliament to keep us all in one lane for most of the day.

I can see this happening soon, just look at the recent outside lane bans on the M42 and A1 for vehicles over 7.5t…then all the little overtaking games will end as we are all sat behind a supermarket trolley doing 49mph.

And before we start with the " what about me running at 43.99 tonnes up windy hill" replies, obviously you need to keep as much momentum as possible, but 99 times out of 100, would it really hurt to back off and let your fellow proffesional back in, with a flash to let him know its safe?