TIR parking at Irun

Any memories of that place,the crap showers,the row after row of Pastis and Ricardo aniseed drink shops,the beach at Hendaye,a dam long walk.The customs agents,that would say manyana,the time off to relax,get a decent meal,the it was hot to trot after clearing customs.And the night life off course.

The 2 girls selling the Irun by Day ,Irun by Night pictures,and of course Tony.

the mental taxi drivers,never been so fast in my life,faster and tighter than the monaco grand prix around those back streets

I should have said San Sebastian by day/night. :blush:

kerbut:
I should have said San Sebastian by day/night. :blush:

That’s more like it.

Also at Behobia, walking back and forth from your truck (or the bar :smiling_imp: ) to the portacabin with the ‘whiteboards’ with trailer numbers written on them for your number to come up as ‘clear to go’!!

Ross.

And dropping down to Irun from Pamplona. What a bloody road that was.

Also how about Tony’s much shown letter from H.M.Queen courtesy of Beresford’s I believe but my memory was the Arabs unloading their vans in the compound,two Dogana walking through it without so much as a glance then letting them go and us lot considering we wouldn’t get it all in a fridge and they managed to load it in and on a Mercedes van plus their family.I liked Irun I was one who turned up from the UK with a trailer load of live crabs enroute to Portugal,great days.

My first trip to Spain, or should I say from Spain, as someone had dumped one of my Brothers trucks in Bilbao, so I flew out to get it and reload it, I flew out on Good Friday 1980 and couldn’t reload until Tuesday, and was told to drive up to Irun, for the reload instructions. Well being my first time in Spain drove in to the TIR compound for the long weekend, I’m sure all the old hands will know that I’d set myself up for problems getting out on Tuesday morning, but we live and learn.
I met on that first morning a guy called Pete Smith who drove for Smiths of Scotter ,on his way to Portugal, we started drinking at 10 am and finished at 2 am next day, Pete was a smashing guy who spoke fluent Spanish, another bloke that turned up was called John and was an owner driver with a black Berliet, unusual to say the least, he spoke great German and I believe some time later (a couple of years) had his load of lambs turned out and burnt by French farmers. anyone know what happened to these two blokes?

Not forgetting Itzia and Olatz the two girls that worked at " marigolds " bar down the stairs.
Oh happy days…had many a good evening / day / week-end in Irun.

mappo:
Not forgetting Itzia and Olatz the two girls that worked at " marigolds " bar down the stairs.
Oh happy days…had many a good evening / day / week-end in Irun.

Happy days indeed :smiling_imp: , I’d love to know how many nights I’ve spent in Irun, both Behobia on the ‘way down’ & Hendaye (walk across the bridge for a French scoff) on the way home, deffo more at Behobia as prob 8 or 9 times out of 10 I brought fruit or veg back so unless I’d loaded at Granada I wouldn’t need to go into Irun on’t way home.

Ross.

what about the baghouse i think it was called DESIRES so ive been told,went there with a bloke who worked for gbe he had a brand new pegaso troner nice truck cant remember his name :smiley: :sunglasses:

love sponge:
what about the baghouse i think it was called DESIRES so ive been told,went there with a bloke who worked for gbe he had a brand new pegaso troner nice truck cant remember his name :smiley: :sunglasses:

What’s a “baghouse”■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ross. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

a BAGHOUSE is a place of illrepute all legal and above bored just the beer was about 300/400 pesatas :grimacing: :laughing:

love sponge:

Can you remember what he looked like ?

sorry cant remember what he looked like i had other things on my errr mind :smiling_imp:

love sponge:
sorry cant remember what he looked like i had other things on my errr mind :smiling_imp:

Yeah i can imagine…300/400 pesetas for a beer ■■? Bloody hell :laughing:

love sponge:

I got a brother who had a brand new troner,but if you can’t remember his name or what he looked like,then it might not be him…or there again it might be him… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Irun?? fabulous place, kinda did’nt wanna leave after a weekend there, can’t say the same about other places

My worst memory of Irun was parking next to a trailer full of leaking hides on a bank holiday, there were no other spaces, the cab stunk for days :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
My worst memory of Irun was parking next to a trailer full of leaking hides on a bank holiday, there were no other spaces, the cab stunk for days :open_mouth:

Ooh er, that could’ve been me :confused: we used to take skins to Salveriera quite often and always ‘cleared’ at Irun.

Ross. :smiling_imp: