Oporto/Lisbon

Any drivers on here remember the Green Hut in Matasinhos Oporto, its been a long time since I left the industry, and have great memorys ofthe good old days, Euro Kings, Flying Cargo, Cabmont (Britih International) to name a couple we used to park up on the beach and use the green hut as a meeting place, to name a few other places, Claudes Bar in Saintes, The Bakehouse in Italy, going over Mont Cenis instead of through the tunnel,.
Would be great to hear from any old school , telex, no mobile phones,TIR carnet,
Mike

I remember The Green Hut ;met some good drivers there .
First trip to Italy over Cenis ; stuck at Italian customs for three days on a steep slope with no permit .
Also peaches in season over the Cenis with Mickey Mouse permits .

harry:
I remember The Green Hut ;met some good drivers there .
First trip to Italy over Cenis ; stuck at Italian customs for three days on a steep slope with no permit .
Also peaches in season over the Cenis with Mickey Mouse permits .

Baptism of fire over Cenis, I think I was the last truck over before they closed it to trucks,I used to go to Athens via Brindisi always a nightmare getting a greek ferry, tip in Athens then park up in St Michaels Square waiting for the agent to sort a return load, stuck in Greece once for 10 days trying to get a ferry back to Italy, the agents used to have two rota books the driver who tipped the best would get a ferry slot.
Good to hear from you Harry, I am going back at least 20 years, the trip across spain to Portugal was along dusty roads, with goats and sheep, and when you got to customs in Fuentes De Onouro it was like a wild west town, I was arrested there once and fined for having theTIR cord outside 6 eyelets, had a policeman with me all the way to Lisbon in the cab, all fr a load of Bex Bissll cleaning products

Loaded cork in Portugal & had to have a cop riding shotgun all the way to the frontier .
When this guy went over in Portugal the ■■■■■■ cop went thru the windscreen & rolled over & over across the field . Neither the driver or cop were injured .

Always a regular sight trucks falling over, Portugese trucks with bald tyres, no windscreens or lights, I remember, going over the mountain to coimbra at night, and noticed flashing lights up ahead , it was an old lady sat on the back of an ox cart loaded with hay striking matches to let me know they were on the road. Once in France late at night on the way to Irun, I noticed a Giraud wine tanker stopped in the middle of the road, as I passed a mobile crane in front of him had a chain attached to the front of the cab, the tanker driver was hanging out of the windscreen, apparently the tanker driver had run into the back of the crane, and the bolts on the fifth had shared off in the collision due to the weight of the tank coming to a sudden stop, it had pushed the back of the cab with bunks into the cabin the driers seat was squashed up against the dashboard, the crane driver was trying to pull the cab away from the driver who was jammed againsthe steering wheel,
I went back and took he drivers door off, and the steering wheel ( I always carried a tool kit in those days, you were on your own) I couldnt get him out of te cab as his legs were buried in the foot well, eventually there were police and an ambulance, so I continued on my way. I belive the driver was ok except for a broken leg.
I have loads of photo’s I will try and download some, with drivers and trucks.
Mike

With the accident in the snap the porkis had loaded the trailer with bales leaving a gap down the middle & you can see result.

Hello Mike do you remember this one

Hay there Mike:
There are a few of us on here to say the least,I for one did Portugal for around 16-17yrs straight, then another 5yrs all over.if you look through the threads you will find a few,one being the Southampton hauliers,also Truckline.I like many others have a lot of stories to tell some I remember immediately others come when things kick in.As for the Green hut,food was good and the toilet pan would rock you to sleep and the door opened up right by a couple of tables.And the cafe in Matinia Lisbon,one toilet for 200-300 drivers no wonder it got blocked regularly,good days very good days… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: …Regards Steve H…

mikecotton:
Always a regular sight trucks falling over, Portugese trucks with bald tyres, no windscreens or lights,Mike

This was in Spain not far from Villa Formosa, on my way to Oporto in the early '70’s.
Arrived a few minutes after it had happened. Both drivers were sat on the verge having a ■■■, not seriously hurt !!! Lucky or what !!

KNS64:
Hello Mike do you remember this one

I think it was the truck I picked up from fords in winchester tractor only, left ■■■■■■, and another left ■■■■■■ fully loaded clippd me on a narrow road and creamed me into the bank, the guvnor was a bit p*&*^ off as I recall,

shady:
Hay there Mike:
There are a few of us on here to say the least,I for one did Portugal for around 16-17yrs straight, then another 5yrs all over.if you look through the threads you will find a few,one being the Southampton hauliers,also Truckline.I like many others have a lot of stories to tell some I remember immediately others come when things kick in.As for the Green hut,food was good and the toilet pan would rock you to sleep and the door opened up right by a couple of tables.And the cafe in Matinia Lisbon,one toilet for 200-300 drivers no wonder it got blocked regularly,good days very good days… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: …Regards Steve H…

Hi shady
Many fond memories of the matinia in Lisbon, specially the showers, one shower for the drivers, I remember once taking a load of second hand truck parts down to lisbon, cleared customs and went out into the country to tip at this scrap yard, loads of small trucks turned up and buried under the engines and gearboxes where radios, and all sorts of electrical goods, had unwittingly smuggled all this from the uk, picked the trailer up in St Malo on a turnround, than christ I didnt get sent for a inspection in Irun.
Did you like the run up to oporto from lisbon, used to go a night time much safer than during the day, one night on that road saw lots of pigs running around in the road, as I got closer I saw a pig lorry with open flat back on its side in the ditch, the driver had driven off the road, pigs all over the place, dead and dying in the road, in the trees.
Mike

Fergie47:

mikecotton:
Always a regular sight trucks falling over, Portugese trucks with bald tyres, no windscreens or lights,Mike

This was in Spain not far from Villa Formosa, on my way to Oporto in the early '70’s.
Arrived a few minutes after it had happened. Both drivers were sat on the verge having a ■■■, not seriously hurt !!! Lucky or what !!

These geezers must have been playing ‘chicken.’ They are from the same firm. I wonder what they told the boss?